Should We file Lawsuits against NTID?

Even though I may be new here at this site.

However, I'd like to butt myself in here to say you have no merit for such lawsuit as long as NTID/RIT has been working with the police on investigating on the identify thefts. ADA has nothing to do with those issues. NTID/RIT did the right thing by informing everyone who is in the database.

For example, if NTID/RIT hasn't informed you or anyone else and kept you in the dark, the lawsuit may be possible IF (that's a big IF, I stress) your SSN, credit cards and whatnot are being compromised without your knowledge and/or authorization. However it is still very sticky situation.

So therefore, nothing you can do except making the calls to your SSN office, credit cards, credit reports to alert that you're a possible victim of identity theft. They would take care of it ASAP once you notify them.

I heard the rumors which I don't know if it's true or not that it was an inside job. Could be a disgruntled employee or anything. Perhaps even a hacker within the building. Who knows?

Even though I may be new here at this site.

However, I'd like to butt myself in here to say you have no merit for such lawsuit as long as NTID/RIT has been working with the police on investigating on the identify thefts. ADA has nothing to do with those issues. NTID/RIT did the right thing by informing everyone who is in the database.

For example, if NTID/RIT hasn't informed you or anyone else and kept you in the dark, the lawsuit may be possible IF (that's a big IF, I stress) your SSN, credit cards and whatnot are being compromised without your knowledge and/or authorization. However it is still very sticky situation.

So therefore, nothing you can do except making the calls to your SSN office, credit cards, credit reports to alert that you're a possible victim of identity theft. They would take care of it ASAP once you notify them.

I heard the rumors which I don't know if it's true or not that it was an inside job. Could be a disgruntled employee or anything. Perhaps even a hacker within the building. Who knows?

Was your name on the list too ?

Personal Information Theft
VA vs RIT/NTID

January 28, 2009

VA agrees to settlement over data theft for possible of exposing The laptop and external drive were recovered and the FBI determined no data had been breached. The settlement is $1,000 each veteran of 26.1 million if veterans who show harm from the data theft will be able to receive payments ranging from $75 to $1,500. If any of the $20 million is left over after making payments, the remainder would be donated to veterans’ charities agreed to by the parties, such as the Fisher House Foundation Inc. and The Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund.

August 30, 2008

NTID STOLEN LAPTOP was discovered on August 25, 2008 with 13,800 RIT/NTID personal information included names, dates of birth, and Social Security numbers from (dating back to 1968). The laptop was never recovered and may be breached.

May 3, 2006

Veterans Affairs (VA) computer equipment was theft with private information of millions of military veterans, spouses of veterans, and active duty personnel. A VA data analyst in 2006 admitted that he had lost a laptop and external drive containing the names, birth dates and Social Security numbers of up to 26.5 million veterans and active duty troops.

Today

Why don’t we, 13,800 RIT/NTID students and graduates file lawsuit against RIT/NTID for its’ stolen laptop with personal information included names, dates of birth, and Social Security numbers not being able to be recovered and breached like VA. For settlement, $1,000 each students and graduates who show harm from the data theft will be able to receive payments ranging from $75 to $1,500. If any of the $13.8 million is left over after making payments, the remainder would be donated to RIT’s General Scholarship Fund. It would be good for the students who need the financial aid.

If they took what is viewed as reasonable care to protect the information, then a lawsuit would be thrown out.

It is probably not that simple because the lawyers get the most percent of your money. i.e. 1/4 of money that you might get. 3/4 goes to the lawyers.

Remember that NTID/RIT sent out letters notifying the students and former students of the breech.

Secondly--they even paid for us to have fraud alerts put on our credit.

If they didn't do the above in a timely manner--then maybe it would be grounds for a lawsuit but they didn't.

That is wish important to RIT

I search find RIt
I interest to about to there RIT. DO you have RIt? I ask you give me internet. I need research find more search internet.

Thank you

was lifelock the company where the founder gave his SSN and the next day there were identifies created with his SSN with all different names?

Back