should parents lose custody of fat kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

netrox

Reaction score
The answer is ABSOLUTELY YES! Parents who let their kids get obese are clearly endangering their lives. There's NO excuse.

Should Parents Lose Custody Of Super Obese Kids? : NPR

Just think about it - once you become extremely morbidly obese, you will NEVER have the great body you once had. Never. You'll have a lot of baggage around (even with plastic surgeries) and your fat cells retain memory. You'll have constant addiction to food. It's disturbing to see how kids are getting really obese and their parents don't do a thing about it.

I heard of a case where a girl was removed from her home as she was too fat and the court said it was child abuse!

The answer is ABSOLUTELY YES! Parents who let their kids get obese are clearly endangering their lives. There's NO excuse.

Should Parents Lose Custody Of Super Obese Kids? : NPR

Just think about it - once you become extremely morbidly obese, you will NEVER have the great body you once had. Never. You'll have a lot of baggage around (even with plastic surgeries) and your fat cells retain memory. You'll have constant addiction to food. It's disturbing to see how kids are getting really obese and their parents don't do a thing about it.

Well, I would say it depends on the etiology of the overweight issues. But I have a problem with loss of custody. It seems to me that educating the parent about proper nutrition and setting a schedule for the child's weight loss would be more appropriate. A kid who depends on food for comfort will use that food even more if they are jerked away from a parent.

I remmy 2 of my boys gaining a lot of weight after I received custody of them....they were not obese, but "chunky"....whether is was becuz they did not have enuf food to eat before...or they were confused and depressed about their family crisis....(could be both)....

But I enrolled them in Karate and other sport activities. They are fine now, no weight problems at all.

I know it's hard for a parent(s) to monitor the child's food intake at all times. But to let their child actually become fat and obese, borders on abuse. Very unhealthy, and other kids make fun of them. Cut out the snacks, make a lot of salad in a big bowl for them to eat after school, giving them fruit, and activities (after school) should help to keep the weight off. Having a pet for them to take care of also (especially a dog)....taken for long walks in the evening. I would limit the video games to an hour a day, even TV.

Well..

If I see that parent are not fat, but they feed their children to be extreme obesity. I think a child should take away from a parent..

If both parent and their kids are obesity then need help from the clinic!!

:|

Ok so its now ok child protection servers to take an over weight kid

So what the too thin kids?

My stance is child protection servers should only come up with short term outta home placements(till medically green lighted) and should have long term follow up for this group of at risk kids

Ok so its now ok child protection servers to take an over weight kid

So what the too thin kids?

My stance is child protection servers should only come up with short term outta home placements(till medically green lighted) and should have long term follow up for this group of at risk kids

I agree....and I feel an overweight/obese child has more problems than just overeating or lack of exercise...I've known of parents actually putting locks on their cabinets and refrigerator doors to keep their kids from overeating or in other words "eating everything in the house"......Some kids are just "lazy"....then again, some kids overeat because of emotional/physical problems...finding the root of the problem should be researched first.

But, if a parent is obese themselves, and let their child overeat, even abuse food...then I consider that abuse....

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

2 of our boys are normal weight but our daughter is a tad bit chubby but growing fast and we try our best to limit her food intake and make sure she gets plenty of exercise. The boys are too active!!!

2 of our boys are normal weight but our daughter is a tad bit chubby but growing fast and we try our best to limit her food intake and make sure she gets plenty of exercise. The boys are too active!!!

Teenaged boys are like vacuum cleaners - they inhale everything in sight! My food budget went out the window once my boys hit age 14, 15.

As for very obese kids - I think rather than taking them away from their parents...that their parents be mandated to take a class in nutrition so they can make smarter choices in food and learn to stop buying so much junk food - if they can't keep their kids out of the pantry then maybe they should stop buying chips, soda, cookies, pop tarts, etc etc etc. One can eat a lot without getting fat, it's WHAT they eat that counts, not how much.

When I was a kid, all we were allowed between meals were fruits and veggies like apples, celery, carrots...that was it! We would have dessert only once a week as a special treat. Otherwise it was just fruit after supper. I can't believe the crap parents buy nowadays that they think is real food and let their kids snack on sugar all day long and not make them eat their supper. I've had a few discussions with some parents about this and they think it's "cruel" not to let their kids snack on crap as if I was suggesting they deliberately starve them. That line of thinking drives me up the wall.

Maybe they should buy a lock, so the kids won't be able to open the cupboards. My great aunt had to do it because her son used to eat so much. She did this for food storage reasons during the WW II.

I'd rather the parents take a nutrition class instead. If they complete the class, and choose to not stay on the path later, then they are going to have to deal with the consequences.

I agree....and I feel an overweight/obese child has more problems than just overeating or lack of exercise...I've known of parents actually putting locks on their cabinets and refrigerator doors to keep their kids from overeating or in other words "eating everything in the house"......Some kids are just "lazy"....then again, some kids overeat because of emotional/physical problems...finding the root of the problem should be researched first.

But, if a parent is obese themselves, and let their child overeat, even abuse food...then I consider that abuse....

I dont understand why there are the same level of services for COE as AN,BN

here An and have Bn have 15 beds in two units taking mostly teens/young adults

Coe has no beds

i do of 2 coe "cases" was placed in a rest homes for treatment

I would not do this as a first resort. It's a big step to take. Why not try education of the entire family first and see if that helps?

Pre-teen girls are supposed to have a higher body fat content. It is healthy for them.

Teenaged boys are like vacuum cleaners - they inhale everything in sight! My food budget went out the window once my boys hit age 14, 15.

As for very obese kids - I think rather than taking them away from their parents...that their parents be mandated to take a class in nutrition so they can make smarter choices in food and learn to stop buying so much junk food - if they can't keep their kids out of the pantry then maybe they should stop buying chips, soda, cookies, pop tarts, etc etc etc. One can eat a lot without getting fat, it's WHAT they eat that counts, not how much.

When I was a kid, all we were allowed between meals were fruits and veggies like apples, celery, carrots...that was it! We would have dessert only once a week as a special treat. Otherwise it was just fruit after supper. I can't believe the crap parents buy nowadays that they think is real food and let their kids snack on sugar all day long and not make them eat their supper. I've had a few discussions with some parents about this and they think it's "cruel" not to let their kids snack on crap as if I was suggesting they deliberately starve them. That line of thinking drives me up the wall.

Very true, that. When my son was 16, I threatened to padlock the refrigerator because I could not keep food in the house!:lol: Of course, it was an empty threat borne of frustration. I would never really do such a thing, especially since he has always been very lean. Just has a huge appetite, but like his mom, the metabolism of a hummingbird!:giggle:

I grew up with healthy snacks being provided, and I did the same with my son when he was growing up. As a consequence, he eats a wide variety of foods and has a very healthy diet as an adult.

I once had a relationship with a tiny birdlike lady with a daughter who suffered from morbid obesity. It wasn't the mother's fault, or the daughter's. I lived with them about a year and I saw firsthand how little Christy (her name) ate. Yet she was almost round as a beachball, poor thing. She was a member of WeightWatchers and I would drive her to her meetings, and tried to encourage her to walk with me around the neighborhood block, the works. If she lost five pounds in a month, she was delirious with happiness. She had plans to be a movie producer and loved filming events, and I loved the sparkle in her dark eyes. But one day her mother walked into her bedroom and found her dead in bed. She died due to natural causes brought on by obesity. She was 13 years old. :(

I once had a relationship with a tiny birdlike lady with a daughter who suffered from morbid obesity. It wasn't the mother's fault, or the daughter's. I lived with them about a year and I saw firsthand how little Christy (her name) ate. Yet she was almost round as a beachball, poor thing. She was a member of WeightWatchers and I would drive her to her meetings, and tried to encourage her to walk with me around the neighborhood block, the works. If she lost five pounds in a month, she was delirious with happiness. She had plans to be a movie producer and loved filming events, and I loved the sparkle in her dark eyes. But one day her mother walked into her bedroom and found her dead in bed. She died due to natural causes brought on by obesity. She was 13 years old. :(

What a sad story. She obviously had a biological disorder that caused her obesity.

What a sad story. She obviously had a biological disorder that caused her obesity.

Exactly. So one shouldn't be so quick to blame the parents. A lot of times they are helpless.

Exactly. So one shouldn't be so quick to blame the parents. A lot of times they are helpless.

Quite true. And in many cases, they are only doing what they know to do. They need education, not to have their child taken away from them.

DeafCaroline said:

Yea I know the feeling. I get sick of the boys sneak in to grab some junk food without us knowing. We hide them in a big plastic container so we limit how much junk food they can have and save our money. We did use chain to lock the refrigator at night time while we sleep since we can't hear them snacking late at night but they stopped doing it and learned their lesson for now.

jillio said:

Pre-teen girls are supposed to have a higher body fat content. It is healthy for them.

Yeah? I didn't know that. She's 9 years old and growing like a weed and its a pain in the butt to buy clothes more often than our boys do. I know that females do grow faster than males at early age but mature earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back