Should a pedophile be granted parental visits?

Exactly. If it were left to the parents, statistics show us that the vast majority of these cases would never even be reported, and the family unit would remain intact and continue with the dysfunctional patterns.

True - from experience.

My opinion? Should be done on a case by case basis. And it needs to be supervised.

I also would wait until the child is a bit older and allow him or her to make decisions about whether he or she would want to even communicate with that parent in the first place.

Who is punished in a situation like this? A child that grows up never knowing their parent, or the parent that wants to see their child but isn't allowed to?

In my opinion, they both are. The child did nothing to "deserve" their punishment.

In the situation described in the OP, I would think supervised visits would suffice. Discreet supervised visits. However, I can't help but think that these visits would benefit the child more than the parent, since the parent can't really "parent".

In that situation, the child is no longer being punished even though the sex offender is. I also can't help but notice that the situation as described in the OP is far better than a sex offender wanting nothing to do with their child.

There are a lot of parents that do not want the responsibility of being a parent, and their children grow up into hurt adults.

I think jumping to conclusions makes mistakes and is immature without getting the real story, ppl are falsely convicted all the time.
I feel everyone deserves a second chance as long as they are sane, a daughter deserves a father.
I unrelentingly, completely, substantially, and tenaciously believe ANY hard proof of a sexual molester should result in death. people like that, PROVEN molesters of a child, (i can not stress the amount of conviction in which i believe this)SHOULD be tortured, that is possibly the ONLY thing i feel like this abt. (statutory rape,rape of drunk teen, ect. are not inclusive necessarily.)

Try to not make assumptions.

In this case, it is not an assumption. Any and all mercy and/or attention paid to a convicted child sex offender is just pure crazy. Not only I but all of us must be intolerant and hate these people, they have been judged, not by me but by society. So if anyone has a problem with my hate and intolerance, I say look inside your own heart and mind. I'm speaking from experience.

In this case, it is not an assumption. Any and all mercy and/or attention paid to a convicted child sex offender is just pure crazy. Not only I but all of us must be intolerant and hate these people, they have been judged, not by me but by society. So if anyone has a problem with my hate and intolerance, I say look inside your own heart and mind. I'm speaking from experience.

No, you made an assumption.

My opinion? Should be done on a case by case basis. And it needs to be supervised.

I also would wait until the child is a bit older and allow him or her to make decisions about whether he or she would want to even communicate with that parent in the first place.

The child's feelings are always a variable used in the judge's decision. If a child of any age expresses fear of seeing that parent, visitation is denied.

It not only was an assumption, it was a WRONG assumption. And, yes, I do have a problem with your hate and intolerance. Experience, if that is your excuse, has made you a very bitter individual, and that bitterness harms no one but yourself.

The child's feelings are always a variable used in the judge's decision. If a child of any age expresses fear of seeing that parent, visitation is denied.

The child's feelings can be manipulated to a certain degree. Who knows?

Only if he's done something to change his life. If he is totally reformed.

It's very difficult to prove a sex offender can be reformed, especially when there was very strong evidence that led to the conviction and there was found to be a lengthy history of pedophilia.

supervised open visits for low risk offenders

box(behind glass) visits for high risk offenders

to start with

It's very difficult to prove a sex offender can be reformed, especially when there was very strong evidence that led to the conviction and there was found to be a lengthy history of pedophilia.

There are techniques being used in sexual offender treatment programs that are actually showing high success rates over time. It is a common misconception by the general public that pediophilia is never amenable to treatment.

There are techniques being used in sexual offender treatment programs that are actually showing high success rates over time. It is a common misconception by the general public that pediophilia is never amenable to treatment.
There are inmates at McNeil Island in Washington whom the courts won't allow out into society. They are there almost indefinitely. Some say this is not constitutional. I don't make a judgment call on it because I don't know enough about the situation.

There are inmates at McNeil Island in Washington whom the courts won't allow out into society. They are there almost indefinitely. Some say this is not constitutional. I don't make a judgment call on it because I don't know enough about the situation.

Well, I can't comment on individual cases like that without knowing details. I do know that there are some individuals that should not be released into society because they present too great a risk to others. But they are few and far between. More often, I believe that there are those that deserve to be released but are punished for unnecessarily long periods because society is afraid and basing that fear on misconception.

Well, I can't comment on individual cases like that without knowing details. I do know that there are some individuals that should not be released into society because they present too great a risk to others. But they are few and far between. More often, I believe that there are those that deserve to be released but are punished for unnecessarily long periods because society is afraid and basing that fear on misconception.
Yeah, that phrase "too great a danger" comes up every time these people are mentioned. It seems to be the prevailing thought regarding the situation.

I'm pretty much of the opinion that, short of extraordinary situations of mental illness being managed properly with meds for oh, at least a decade, that releasing a serious sex offender always poses an unacceptable risk to society.

Simply put, there is NO therapy/drug/other mode of treatment that reduces the risk of recidivism to 0 or near-0.

Would some of the offenders in that group never again commit the same crime? Sure.

But given, say, a 100 person pool wherein 70 people will never again commit a crime, 10 people will commit a crime but will lie to be released from prison, and 20 people are obviously sick enough not to deserve release, what's my take on it? Lock all 100 of 'em up, because I'd rather have all 100 sex offenders pay for their crimes forever than to risk even a small percentage of them returning to their crimes.

This whole "giving people second chances" thing is taken too far, sometimes. If the victim of a serious crime has to live with that crime forever, the criminal who committed the act should, too, especially in light of the fact that there is no way to absolutely guarantee that he or she will not commit the crime again on another person.

Visits to pedophiles

I have very strong feelings about this..depending on the age of the child,
if they were abused, and if so..only behind glass and someone with the child.

If the child did not ask or does not want to..NO WAY!

And I would like to know where you saw the information that progress is being made in the treatment of this illness. I do not believe there will ever be a successful treatment of any kind including chemical or physical castration
assuming it is a man. This illness is mentally charged and has little to do with sex, but rather control, fear and dominance....Midnight

This is a tough one for me. I must say I am also coming at this from someone who's been harmed by two sex offenders; both of which were in the family.

My emotions want to scream "Never allow a kid to visit a sex offender!"; even in prison, but rationale says that not all sex offenses are the same.

I would say, then, decide it on a case by case basis. You could do great harm by reacting to this in the wrong way.

Back