Short Story: "The Library book"

Aussiejake

Reaction score
The short story I made few weeks ago, it is in the short story competetion....

Tell me what do you all think of it??

The Library book

The book was large, old heavy & leather bound. The cover, blank. Maddie found the mysterious book in the attic. She wondered what the story might be.

Struggling, Maddie took the book off the bookcase. Maddie tiptoed from the attic to her room, tucked herself in her bed. She opened the book, the first page was completely blank, and flicking through the rest of the book found it was as blank as white paper. She perplexedly closed the book.

Suddenly, before she could place the book on her bedside table, the book started to vibrate softly. She heard a quiet whispering from the book and intrigued reopened it.

Words emerged as the whisper grew louder. Maddie heard footsteps from the hallway; she slammed the book shut and hid it under her doona. The bedroom door swung open. It was her older sister, Kelly. Maddie could hear the book’s muffled whispering under her doona.

Kelly enquired, “Did you hear something?”
“No…” said Maddie, innocently.

Kelly left without another word.

Maddie gave a relieved sigh. She took out the book and opened it and the whispering stopped. As Maddie turned the pages gently, a soft white gleam appeared from the book, filling the room. There was a soft humming sound; Maddie seemed to disappear into the book.

Kelly was sure she heard something and returned to Maddie’s room only to find the book lying open on her bed. Kelly bent over to read:

“Gone to the library"

Maddie landed on a dusty floor with a thud. Dusting herself, she stood. She looked around and discovered that she was in an old library. She began to survey the library and gingerly walked around her surroundings.

The huge library was eerily silent; not a sound filled the room except Maddie’s echoing footsteps. Passing rows of old books, something moved to her right. A book moved. Catching Maddie’s eye, she edged closer and gently touched the spine of the book.

Maddie let out a gasp - the book talked. “Hello!” the book said cheerfully. Maddie automatically stepped back and stammered, “I didn’t mean to interrupt you”.

The book said nothing; it instead gave a dusty wheeze and puffs of dust rose like clouds.

“In 1890, there was a bushranger – “
“– There was a ship,” interrupted another
Yet another book shouted “– It was a dark, stormy night,”
Yet again, another shouted shrilly “– There was a little boy, who was…”

Maddie was astonished to see that all the books were fighting to have a turn, interrupting each other hungry for conversation. However, something caught her attention; she ignored the loud books. Instead was curious about crying she heard in a dark and far corner.

She studied the huge room, following the sound of crying. A little book, far away from the noisy books, was hiding in the dark corner of a bookcase.

Maddie saw the little book, crying softly. “Are you alright?” asked Maddie. The book turned around slowly, as the noisy books continues to interrupt loudly and rudely.

“I am lonely,” sobbed the little book.
“What is your name?” asked Maddie
“Rodney” the book replied
Maddie brought Rodney out of the dark.

Maddie found a comfortable armchair near the fire, away from the noisy books.

“I haven’t been out of the dark for years,” Rodney said
“You’ll be fine. Why are you crying?” asked Maddie
Rodney was quiet for a minute and gave a sigh.
“Would you like to hear my story?” asked Rodney, tears trickling down his dust jacket.
“I’d love to,” said Maddie, looking anxious and sympathetic.

The little book lay on her lap; the room was quiet except for noisy chatter. The book opened magically and the words emerged as Rodney’s voice begun with a gulp. Maddie read along with Rodney.

“It was a lovely afternoon of the year 1993; a little boy bought me with money he was given for his birthday. I was brand new from a bookstore in the “Bush Capital”.

“The boy, Robert, loved me. Robert let me read him bedtime stories when he was little. He also loved to read short stories. His favourite story was ‘Jack and the Beanstalk.’ However…” Rodney continued

The noisy books became quiet; they leaned across from their bookcase – listening.

Nobody said a word.

“…Robert, - after many years – no longer loved books. Instead, he preferred Playstation 2 games. I was relieved that he still loved me and we spent time together. However, after a few weeks, Robert has become obsessed with the Playstation 2, and I was thrown away, I found myself lying around with Robert’s old toys under his bed. I still can hear his gleeful laugh as he played his Playstation 2.

The entire library wept as Rodney told his tale. Maddie blew her nose with vigor as she prepared to hear the remainder of Rodney’s story.

“…I was under the bed, dusty with the toys as days continue to grow even into years, until one afternoon; I discovered the family was moving interstate."

"A neighbour, who was helping to pack, found me. I was appalled that the neighbour had no interest in me, instead disrespectfully threw me into a recycle bin and I found myself at a book fair. It has been years and still I miss him,” said Rodney.

Suddenly, there were heavy footsteps echoing in the Library.
“It’s the librarian!” a book yelled from a distance. Maddie stood up abruptly, still clutching the book and broke into a run; Maddie disappeared.

She woke suddenly and disoriented, and looked about her; realising she was in bed
“It was all a dream,” said Maddie. She felt a tiny lump under her pillow. Investigating, Maddie found the little book smiling into her face. Rodney and Maddie giggled with glee.

Kelly appeared at Maddie’s door, “What‘s with the laughing?” Maddie smiled broadly.

My teachers and interpreters liked this story. I was thoughtful if you could give me feedbacks... :popcorn:

Back