She Might Be Deaf-Good Books on ASL?

Roca

Reaction score
I'm HOH,single,and recently met a very attractive,reclusive,but very religious woman at my church.

I'm 90% certain she may be deaf.

I've already downloaded the ASL alphabet.

I'd like member recommendations on the best self-help books for learning ASL.

I'm willing to patiently use good old pen and paper if I get stuck. I want to make a good impression.

Going to take it slow. Hoping we could become friends!

Thanks for your help.

Signing Naturally series. 1, 2, and 3. Expensive but worth it. You can find level 1 second hand, but make sure the DVD is in there. That's what makes it.

If you really want to make a good impression, go (in addition to your studies) find *another* person who really knows asl to practice with. No matter how hard you study, you still need feedback. Better to have someone else catch embarrassing mistakes before you try them out on her.

If you can't find someone fluent in ASL who's interested in volunteering their time, it wouldn't hurt to pay someone to sit down with you for an hour here and there.

Signing Naturally series. 1, 2, and 3. Expensive but worth it. You can find level 1 second hand, but make sure the DVD is in there. That's what makes it.

If you really want to make a good impression, go (in addition to your studies) find *another* person who really knows asl to practice with. No matter how hard you study, you still need feedback. Better to have someone else catch embarrassing mistakes before you try them out on her.

If you can't find someone fluent in ASL who's interested in volunteering their time, it wouldn't hurt to pay someone to sit down with you for an hour here and there.

Thanks,AmyLynne!

I definitely don't want to get my face slapped or get ignored. Good advice.

Roca

She may be deaf, but that does not mean she knows ASL.

Spoke with the lady today. Had a pleasant conversation.

I probably misread the body language,she not being US-born. She's not deaf
or HOH.

Things look pretty good so far.

I spotted this on YouTube, very nice...however, since she's not deaf, all the better that it's available for free....

Laura

Wirelessly posted

Loving a Deaf man / woman is not a crime...But the truth is the scincerity and open-minded relationship....Love is Blind...

Back