Severe to profound moulds

harleywild

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering what other people use as I get my moulds by the NHS and are the full ear moulds, but recently they just keep coming out of the ear canal and make it really hard for me to hear and keep whistling all the time, it's really annoying, also on my hearing aids it says spirit zest p which is the power, what power setting do hearing aids go up to ? Would appreciate any advice :) thank you

I get the full moulds, with the smallest vent size - in silicone (not acrylic), I also have a bit longer mould (goes a bit deeper into the canal) than is typical.

I get the vent (versus not having a vent) because I find that it doesn't change the sound at all, but it equalizes the pressure so the mould stays in better :)

Sounds like your moulds have shrunk. If they are soft they will, and need replacing about annually. Best go to audiology and ask for some new ones.

As for hearing aid power, mine are Phonak Naida Ultra Power, so you have a way to go yet!

I agree about the molds having shrunk, but it can also be the tubing. They harden up after just a few months and doesn't give flexibility between HA and earmold.

Molds

I recently got a new style of mold as I was having your problem. The molds worked on the first try! The mold is only on the bottom half od=f the ear and the canal is deeper and it holds it in real well. Not sure what the style name is. Cindy

Hi, I was just wondering what other people use as I get my moulds by the NHS and are the full ear moulds, but recently they just keep coming out of the ear canal and make it really hard for me to hear and keep whistling all the time, it's really annoying, also on my hearing aids it says spirit zest p which is the power, what power setting do hearing aids go up to ? Would appreciate any advice :) thank you
The slipping out of your ear tells me the mold has shrunk too much which means you'll need a new mold.

If you have highly-powered aids (I don't the brand), you do need an earmold without a vent (vents are for maybe up to a moderate hearing loss) and you'd be better off with a full mold (so the outer piece that fits snugly in the outside part of ear). In my case, when my hearing dropped to severe, I also had to get a canal that was longer than with a moderate loss to give a better seal.

Someone here mentioned the problem could be the tubing (you may need both). Feel it and try to gently put pressure on it. If gentle pressure doesn't allow you to flex the tube, go someplace and have them replace it. Again, if it's a full power aid, you'll want the thicker tubing. There's tubing out there these days that do have more longevity to them.

Tubes and molds, as has been said here, shrink and that causes feedback. A tube may last six months+ if it's made from newer material than that which existed a few years ago, the mold six months is standard but there are exceptions to that. You may get years out of the mold - unlikely but possible.

Good luck.

Back