School/Education question...

mbenson5

Reaction score
Hi again! I have tried to post this 3 times now so hopefully this time it will work...:pissed:

Anyway, what I was wondering is how many of you went to public schools, private schools (specifically for the deaf), home school, etc... If you went to public school, did you have an interpreter?

Hope you are all well!! Take care and thanks again!! M.

First... Oral School

Second... School for the deaf

Last... Mainstream High school

:):)

I went to preschools with classes for deaf people and then to public elementary schools with deaf classes and often went to mainstream classes. Then I was mainstream in middle and high schools. After those, I went to RIT.

Phillips, did you have an interpreter or did you know how to lip read? Thanks!!

I can't speak for everyone, but most Deaf people I've met who know some speechreading still require a terp. Teachers turn around, stand far away, ect.

--

As the realm of personal experience, I'm an unschooler (cooler version of homeschooler, folks)

I did attend regular schools (public) once in a while, but I didn't receive services related to my hearing because it's relatively "new" and medication induced, not congenital.

I've started using a terp now that I've entered traditional (private) uni.

I went to public schools. I went to classes with other deaf students in the public schools up until High School. In high school for some reason or another i had to attend my hometown high school and lost contact with my deaf friends.

I did 2 semesters at Devry University but dropped out due to difficulties understanding the Professors. This was before i learned about all those technologies i could have had to help me. Captioning, interpreters, etc..

Again.

went to public schools
Pre-school - Hearing/Deaf classes. (Hearing class - no trep/Deaf class -oral)
K-3 grade - Deaf classes.
4 - 6 grade - Hearing classes with trep.
7 - 12 grade - Hearing/Deaf classes. (Hearing class - treps)
University and Community College - treps

Last edited:
I didn't have an interpreter at my public school that was old time. It's more like bi-bi some of 'em have vocabulary flash cards, writing down on the enormous paperpad / blackboard, music, reading a storyteller and very strong speechreading. I was moderate hearing loss. Nobody signed in my class. I know some of hearing students were so nice to me becuz I was a long time girl scout n' brownie and I joined many clubs in ballet, jazz, baton, and tap dance at recreational center always with my good friends & sister where I grew up in the neighborhood.

Lavender...

Hi Lavender,

Can you tell me more about your exerience in dance class? How did that work for you? Are you able to hear the music at all? Thank you for letting me ask! Melissa :ty:

Aleser...

I did attend regular schools (public) once in a while, but I didn't receive services related to my hearing because it's relatively "new" and medication induced, not congenital.

Does that mean that a child has to have a congenital hearing loss to be able to receive services for interpreters or other adaptations in public school? How can that be possible?? How old were you when you lost your hearing? Do you sign? Thanks for letting me ask!! Melissa :ty:

Dancing without trep. I took one for TAP and JAZZ session when I was kid, no TREP at all. I followed other kids and use my head for memory with each steps. :)

Scout, I use my mom as my TREP and leader, too. I love it! ;)

Many things are interesting to deaf commiunty who go thru those in their life.

Oral and mainstreamed alll the way with no terp and no notetakers. How did I learn? Have no idea! I dont think I got a great education even though I went to one of the best schools in Phx because my needs werent properly met and I missed out too much.

Dancing without trep. I took one for TAP and JAZZ session when I was kid, no TREP at all. I followed other kids and use my head for memory with each steps. :)

Scout, I use my mom as my TREP and leader, too. I love it! ;)

Many things are interesting to deaf commiunty who go thru those in their life.

I enrolled my son in dance classes when he was three because I thought it would help him nderstand the rhythm of language, and also help him develop more kinesthetic perception of sound.

This is a pic of him at age 4 in his dance recital as the Tin Man fromt he Wizard of Oz.

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 11
I enrolled my son in dance classes when he was three because I thought it would help him nderstand the rhythm of language, and also help him develop more kinesthetic perception of sound.

This is a pic of him at age 4 in his dance recital as the Tin Man fromt he Wizard of Oz.

Awwwwww how cute!!!

Awww...

He's so precious, jilio!! You are doing exactly the right things for him and it will help his brain develop in exactly the right ways! Thanks for posting!!

He's so precious, jilio!! You are doing exactly the right things for him and it will help his brain develop in exactly the right ways! Thanks for posting!!

You're very welcome. He is 21 now, and a college student, so evidently, something I did was right! Can't say I did everything right, LOL! I'm human like everyone else.:cool: I just wanted to illustrate that a deaf child is capable of any activity that a hearing child is, and that, in fact, just becasue they can't hear doesn't mean that they won't benefit from the exposure. BTW, he still loves to dance, as long as the volume is such that he can "feel" the rhythm. One of his favorite activities in high school was particpating in the signing choir, too. I come from a very musical family, and I did not see why he should be excluded from that simply becasue he was deaf. He just needed the opportunity to learn to enjoy it in his own way.

Hi Melissa,

That was a long time ago when I was in elementary maybe 3rd grade but hard to remember. I do have pix somewhere in my box. I started first taking a ballet n' tap dance 3 of us with one deaf and an hoh students from mainstream school. There was no sign language we had an hearing dance teacher. I am able to hear the music I even still can hear song words by the technology. I had a black shine shoes with ribbon bow tie and metal taps attached to toes n' heels sole. First learned how to step one right foot tapping toe to beat, step two left foot tapping toe to beat, step 3 right foot forward 1 2 3 claps faster. Mostly numbers my teacher tended to say steps 1 2 3 claps go, 1 2 3 4 claps forward, 1 2 3 claps do it again, very easy to listen her voice before turned on music that was not that hard. But one deaf girl had more problem than the second one but both got quitted later on after we finished the last show. I still loved to dance a lot becuz the sounds I enjoyed that made me continue more again with other hearing group then my sister n' my hearing friends came to participate w/ me becuz I didn't have any problem except jazz I once never liked it again. Then at last I was in middle school still danced for a long time until we wanted to change to baton team with drumline marching on the parade. We got championship 1st place and most of times 2nd places that was fun and it's a good experience to keep me occupying n' practicing everyday very physically energy then I stopped becuz at res. school do not have music class for the band. Someday I will show u pix of my dance uniforms n' video that I can hear a music with sign language. u will be surprised one of these day if ad'ers are nice to me then I will appreciate showing u more.

I went to school (k-12), and I'm currently in college without the need for an interpreter, nor have I ever.

Back