scared parent of newly diagnosed deaf baby

Whatever you choose to do, it's important for language acquisition to start with something early.

As people have said, that's even important for hearing children--those that become truly bilingual tend to be exposed to both languages with fluent speakers/signers very early on.

A little child's brain is wired for the rapid acquisition of language, and in SOME way I think you need to take advantage of that. By a certain age, in most people that language-acquisition ability diminishes. Example: I started learning Spanish at age 14, and while I am told I have a strong talent for it, I still do not speak like a native even after 8 years straight of Spanish. Granted, I might do better with immersion training, but there will always be that little something that marks me as a foreigner.

I don't know enough about any of it to give you any advice beyond that, but anyway, I wish you the best of luck! By taking steps early, as you are doing, I have a feeling you're doing a very good thing. :)

Rose Immortal said:
Whatever you choose to do, it's important for language acquisition to start with something early.

As people have said, that's even important for hearing children--those that become truly bilingual tend to be exposed to both languages with fluent speakers/signers very early on.

A little child's brain is wired for the rapid acquisition of language, and in SOME way I think you need to take advantage of that. By a certain age, in most people that language-acquisition ability diminishes. Example: I started learning Spanish at age 14, and while I am told I have a strong talent for it, I still do not speak like a native even after 8 years straight of Spanish. Granted, I might do better with immersion training, but there will always be that little something that marks me as a foreigner.

I don't know enough about any of it to give you any advice beyond that, but anyway, I wish you the best of luck! By taking steps early, as you are doing, I have a feeling you're doing a very good thing. :)

You are absolutely right.
That's why we want our child to continue with sign while she learns to speak.
To make it even more confusing, she'll speak Dutch at home, Norwegian and Sign in the kindergarden. Trilangual, and I'm sure she'll do English later on as well. It's great to watch it.

On time she signed to a deaf teacher "train", focused on another - hearing teacher and said "train" in Norwegian and then saw my wife and explained to her in Dutch.

They pick it up real quick.

Newborn

Hello,

Its nothing wrong to have that newborn and discover a deaf. I think that is blessing and even my mom thinks it is. Cuz thing has many thing enjoy in their life while I raise by them.

What I learn about public school and deaf school; both are good but my personally. Putting that child first spot at deaf school isn't my choice. I want child with me if I were you. Educate your child with Sign Language would be better choice even my wife, she is deaf, is working daycare for 11 years and sign communicate with baby of 8 months old. The baby act so smart! The parents request her to care their baby. So I see the Sign Language is important today.

About school for your kid; important that kid get enough educate instead leave your kid behind. It is not hard to noticed. For example; you can ask your kid to write a letter to grandma or santa (if she still think of real). So you can see the idea how the write need improve base on the grade should be at. About the reading; closed caption isn't on television cuz the don't type everything what the televison said. So DVD subtitle seem better choice but educate tv program like Dora. I enjoy to watch it cuz I can learn Spanish too. So you will do is.. stand by the television and sign to her of each animal or cup or mike or food or car basic word to start. Please remember, don't force yourself to kid made a prefect sign with their finger or they might upset. Once your kid start sign and kid do have cute small hand of sign language. :giggle:

About Utah that where you live; I believe one person already told about school for the deaf. Since Utah is getting educate, I think, because of Sorenson (www.sorenson.com) that relate with Video Relay Service. You could get one for your child near future when its time for her learn to communicate on the phone and talk with grandparents. So I think thing has changed since three years ago that Sorenson and another VRS provide begin on television news. It is great to start ---

In the past; I don't get close with grandparents due lack of communicate. Lucky for your baby be advantage by time when she is 6 years old. Everything is going be great future. We, the deaf community, learned our weakness in the past and today we, the Deaf people, still live.

Learn while you can and don't try pleasure for yourself. Be thankful that your baby isn't serious issue such as other thing I don't want to say (knocking the wood).

Enjoy with your newborn! :type:

I'm still open and eager to hear anymore advice/helpful links/opinions that anyone has to offer
AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome, welcome welcome!!!!!! As I said, join the American Society for Deaf Children....it's probaly the BEST organization out there for dhh kids who Sign. Contact Utah Association of the Deaf, as well as the Deaf Schools. It's best to learn ASL from a native speaker of it. The Deaf school in Utah is pretty good from what I've heard......

Back