Say goodbye to your mouse and keyboard

So it's Kinect again? Kinect sucks. Like Jiro and FF, I play games when I don't want to go jumping around waving my arms and legs. I just want to sit and chill out. Even if this stuff does become really accurate (unlike Kinect) it'll still be too tiring to use. Besides, that guy's drawing swirls and stuff, big deal. Anyone who played DrawSomething knows how hard it was with just your finger and not a stylus, especially if you stopped drawing in one place and started in another, you'd have no idea where your next line was about to start.

Which best

ASUS Xtion Pro ($220) now

Leap Motion ($70) Feb 2013

Kinect for Windows with power supply ($250) now

Kinect xbox360 with Hack for Windows ($100-150) now

All are 640 x 480 but I don't know about Leap Motion, i need find specs

you think one?

It does not show how you would send out emails etc. All it showed was how to use your computer as a toy.

On Kinect games you tend to navigate a GUI by holding your hand over the icon you want... if it stays there it assumes you want to select it, with a little bar filling showing that it's going to select that option.

Because Kinect is so inaccurate this means that each icon was gigantic so you could ensure you picked the right one.

Writing the email would be horrible! You'd either have to wave your arms in the air to write the letters out like on a giant tablet ("Eat up Martha"), move your hand over the cursor to have it type in one letter at a time, or you'd do it on a normal keyboard and then just use the motion thing to move your cursor over the 'SEND' button.

I know many iPad owners will disagree with me but see this as the same thing: a cute gimmick for poking around web pages and doing silly things but as soon as you need to do something serious or important the interface just can't record the information fast enough to be usable.

It look like the Iron Man movie use computer holograms.

tony_stark_interactive_3d_hologram.jpg

3-Ironman_hologram.jpg

Back