Said hi.

charlottejail

Reaction score
Oh, boy. fun afternoon. The guy I've had a crush on for the last eight months or so.. i finally introduced myself to him. He is deaf, and since I saw him I've been trying to learn ASL so i could say hi, even be his friend for goodness sake.

Every ounce of ASL evacuated my brain. I still somehow managed to introduce myself, badly, fail at correctly asking his name (he figured out what i was trying to say.) and then brilliantly standing awkwardly before we both left for our next classes. I was so entirely nervous I didn't get all of his name.

I don't think my face will ever cease being red.

I swear to god I will say something intelligent next week. But.. i guess i did say hi, so one goal complete:)
Brownie point?

Licking my wounds now. Sigh.

Way to jump in! I know my ASL fine... that is - until I need actually use it!

He knows you're making an effort... and that, I think, will make a big difference.

Ok I'm bad.... Just keep on trying... the more you visit him, the more it will get better.. since you are trying to show your effort (like what MBREK said) and hope he will accept you that you want to learn ASL.

This thread inspired me to do the same thing! Good job being brave :)

My only problem is, he's so nice and sweet that I worry he's just being polite and might not want to talk to me..

well it was your first go at it and i think you probably did fine ^_^

the more practice you have with asl and signing to him, the more comfortable you will become with the whole thing!! :D

Nice one!, The first step is the hardest so i guess it can only get easier from here on :)

When I was in grad school, I took a Deaf Culture class, it was just me and one other deaf person and about 100 hearing students (mostly Au/SLP majors). My deaf friend and I signed to each other, and we had an interpreter in the class, so everyone knew we were deaf. Not one person, male or female, ever tried to strike up a conversation with either of us in sign language. My friend was a cute deaf girl, too.

If a girl told me she started learning ASL just so that she could say "Hi" to me and have a conversation, I'd be smitten. Well, not now, since I'm already with someone, but hypothetically speaking.

Back