safety for deaf chidren

GrammyAlaine

Reaction score
This might sound stupid but I need to ask. If my grandson can't hear how would we know if someone was trying to hurt him or steal him? I have always been afraid something like this would happen if we were out in a crowded area. I wouldn't let him leave my side, but it is hard to keep him still. He likes to run and look at things and it scares me to know someone could take him. How can I teach him to be safe when outside? :dunno: :hmm:

This might sound stupid but I need to ask. If my grandson can't hear how would we know if someone was trying to hurt him or steal him? I have always been afraid something like this would happen if we were out in a crowded area. I wouldn't let him leave my side, but it is hard to keep him still. He likes to run and look at things and it scares me to know someone could take him. How can I teach him to be safe when outside? :dunno: :hmm:

It is not a stupid question at all. In fact, I'm glad you asked out of concern for your grandson.

For starters, You can explain to your grandson that it is never a good idea to talk to people that are strangers and also to keep his eyes open out for any dangers. If he were to feel that he is in danger, He needs to be aware that he can go to the police or to the proper authorities if you or your grandson's parents were not to be found.

It is understandable that kids are usually excited and gets curious when they are in a new surrounding, being unaware of the dangers that are nearby.

Does your grandson knows where you guys live at and the telephone numbers or any kind of contacts? If so, that will come in handy when he is "lost" and in order to search for the help to be able to be found.

Just put a leash on him or insert a GPS microchip on him! :lol: (just joking)

Eh, you got to have some faith yet take certain precautions like Jolie77 suggested above.

Maybe you could buy him a guard dog and train it well to protect him so it certainly helps whenever he goes outside.

You should get a Kid Leash if that helps.

leash4.jpg

Get an ID bracelet engraved with all his information so a police officer could get him home.

Also be sure he knows not to trust a stranger.

Teach him the stranger dangers. And teach him to scream on the top of his lungs if some one trys to take him. A deaf person can scream just as good as any hearing person to create a scene.

I saw on TV ads about Daracell batteries commerical, as Kevin's mother worried "lost child" and she use a child finder to track her kid.

I saw on TV ads about Daracell batteries commerical, as Kevin's mother worried "lost child" and she use a child finder to track her kid.

I believe that device is full of bollock.

Get an ID bracelet engraved with all his information so a police officer could get him home.

Maybe not a bad idea but what if a kidnapper pops, he or she simply can take his (gs) bracklet off.

Maybe not a bad idea but what if a kidnapper pops, he or she simply can take his (gs) bracklet off.

I did not take that into account. I went on the assumption he would be able to keep away from the bad person.

that's why this parent formed a company (as a response to this high-profile kidnapping case where the result ended in the death of a child in UK). He partnered with a GPS company that will continuously monitor the child. The GPS transponder can be hidden anywhere - even in child's shoes or bookbag. With computer - you can set up a "safe zone" and "red zone". For example - safe zone is the area from home to school. Red Zone would be somewhere outside those boundary and it will immediately alert the parents via cell phone/pager/email/etc. of this.

UK firm creates GPS tracker for kids
The recent murders of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, who were both 10, in England has left many parents concerned about how to effectively monitor their children and it is likely that Kidcontact will be just one of many products released in the coming months that promise to track children. It has recently been reported that several parents in the UK have even gone so far as to have tracking devices implanted in their children's skin so that they can keep a closer eye on their movements.

As far as I can remember, my mom let my deaf brother and I roam freely in the neighborhood..but I think we were older and had already been taught of the dangers around us. As for being 5 years old, I think my mom kept us close to her and didnt let us wander off at all. I will have to ask her.

Thank you all for your great advice. We did tell him about strangers but with all these reports of kidnapping and kids missing I just worry alot about him. He doesn't have a very strong voice right now. They aren't letting him use his voice yet in school and told my daughter not to let him use it at home.

Do you know of any safety classes where they teach deaf children the rules of staying safe? If so...is there a number I could call or someone I could write to? He wants to learn Karate, but they don't have anyone to sign the instructions to him and we can't afford to pay for an interpretor to go to class with him. My daughter and son-in-law are trying to learn sign language as fast as he is learning.

I did sign up for some ASL training. I am waiting to hear from them. I really appreciate all you have done to make me feel welcome here. If I can do anything for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you all again and God Bless you all and your families.

Thank you all for your great advice. We did tell him about strangers but with all these reports of kidnapping and kids missing I just worry alot about him. He doesn't have a very strong voice right now. They aren't letting him use his voice yet in school and told my daughter not to let him use it at home.

Do you know of any safety classes where they teach deaf children the rules of staying safe? If so...is there a number I could call or someone I could write to? He wants to learn Karate, but they don't have anyone to sign the instructions to him and we can't afford to pay for an interpretor to go to class with him. My daughter and son-in-law are trying to learn sign language as fast as he is learning.

I did sign up for some ASL training. I am waiting to hear from them. I really appreciate all you have done to make me feel welcome here. If I can do anything for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

They won't let him use his voice yet?

:hmm:

Cool and welcome, GrammyAlaine!

My mother made me carry a backpack (that i couldn't remove, it was "locked") full of heavy weights.
I could roam free, but couldn't get too far without a lot of time passing.

They won't let him use his voice yet?

:hmm:
No, because he hasn't learned when it is okay to use his voice and when not to. He was getting out of control in class with his voice.

However, I feel a little bit better now, because his regular van driver had to be in court yesterday and they sent someone he never met before and refused to get in the van. He said "No, Chuck (his driver for the past five years) drive me to school". I felt bad for him but felt good knowing he wouldn't go with a stranger. He ran into the house and told my daughter he was not going to school unless Chuck drives him. She told him it was okay and she would take him to school. She notified the van company and school to let them know he was upset. They were understanding and talked to him. Chuck showed up today and Bugg was smileing real big and gave Chuck a big hug. Chuck is like a grandpop to him. He just loves Bugg as much as his own grandchildren. Thank you all for your help. God Bless you all.

Back