Safecracker game

Yeah, did some searching and looking around for Christer.

I agree with Vamp. The minimum GPU specs for this game look really low, if anything.
The graphics looks like they run off of some 2002-2004 era game, like Diablo II's age. There's no way that Christer's GF6 6200 can't run this, unless he doesn't even have a 6200. There's very little GPU acceleration going on, everything is a still image.
If you can run teamfortress 2 chances are your video card should be able to run this game with no problems.

Saw the video here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kg8n8nXzVE"]YouTube - Safecracker InGame Video Official Trailer[/ame]

Apparently the developers for this game are called Kheops Studio. You can find their site over at:
Kheops Studio - Homepage

But the problem shouldn't be with the developer, it seems that you'll need to contact the distributor, which is "The Adventure Company" - their site and contact form is here:

Welcome to Dreamcatcher Interactive - portal site
The Adventure Company - customer support

Unfortunately, there's a problem. Their support may not be top of the notch, as the site looks really simple and primitive. I'm guessing with this kind of a small company you might not even get a reply, or even if you get one it might be quite some time.
Try emailing them directly on their site or use the contact them button, hopefully they will respond.

In your email/contact form paste your system, and the problems you are having. I would write it out like this:

Me said:
Hi,

My computer specifications are:

Windows: Windows XP Home
Processor : 2.0 GHz AMD athlon 3200+
Memory: 1GB
Hard Drive: 80GB
DirectX: 9.0c
Video: Nvidia GeForce 6 Series (6200) 128MB.

After the game install successfully finishes, it does not run and brings me back to the windows desktop.

Thank you,
email/contact/name-etc

We can probably try to help you out if you don't receive a reply from them or if you want to try with us still. Need some more information though.

Does it say anything exactly when the game exits to windows? What did the installer say when it finished? Need a lot of details, like everything.

One note, what is your desktop resolution?
The game might have a default of 1024x768 minimum, and if you're under this resolution or have a different one, that might be a possibility. If your resolution is set at 800x600 or running at some odd form like 1024x600 (miniPC res) or something like that, games are known to not run because of the res.
Is there a config.ini file in the safecracker's folder directory? If there is, you might be able to manually set the resolution.

PS. Good joke BB, lol!

I agree with Vamp. The minimum GPU specs for this game look really low, if anything.
The graphics looks like they run off of some 2002-2004 era game, like Diablo II's age. There's no way that Christer's GF6 6200 can't run this, unless he doesn't even have a 6200. There's very little GPU acceleration going on, everything is a still image.
If you can run teamfortress 2 chances are your video card should be able to run this game with no problems.

Saw the video here:

YouTube - Safecracker InGame Video Official Trailer

Apparently the developers for this game are called Kheops Studio. You can find their site over at:
Kheops Studio - Homepage

But the problem shouldn't be with the developer, it seems that you'll need to contact the distributor, which is "The Adventure Company" - their site and contact form is here:

Unfortunately, there's a problem. Their support may not be top of the notch, as the site looks really simple and primitive. I'm guessing with this kind of a small company you might not even get a reply, or even if you get one it might be quite some time.
Try emailing them directly on their site or use the contact them button, hopefully they will respond.

In your email/contact form paste your system, and the problems you are having. I would write it out like this:

We can probably try to help you out if you don't receive a reply from them or if you want to try with us still. Need some more information though.

Does it say anything exactly when the game exits to windows? What did the installer say when it finished? Need a lot of details, like everything.

The game might have a default of 1024x768 minimum, and if you're under this resolution or have a different one, that might be a possibility. If your resolution is set at 800x600 or running at some odd form like 1024x600 (miniPC res) or something like that, games are known to not run because of the res.
Is there a config.ini file in the safecracker's folder directory? If there is, you might be able to manually set the resolution.

PS. Good joke BB, lol!

Just post a link at here. Game won't play (SafeCracker) - Micro PC Talk Forums
It's already answer same as you said so.

We went to shopping at Target today and I saw SafeCracker game for 9.99 and I thought it would be fun I like to playing hard strategy games so we bought it. So I am here home and installed that game then installation completed but it won't start, all I see is blink then back desktop.

My computer specification is:
Windows: Windows XP Home edition
Processor : 2.0 GHz AMD athlon 3200+
Memory: 1GB (512mb x 2)
Hard Drive: 80GB
DirectX: 9.0c
Video: 128Mb GF 6200TurboCache

SafeCracker's system requirement:
Windows: 98/ME/2000/XP
Processor: 800MHz Pentium 3/ Athlon
Memory: 64 mb ram
CD/DVD-ROM: 16x
Hard Disk: 700mb available
DirectX 9.0c (included)
Video: 64mb directx 9.0c video card

What's wrong with my computer?

That's heck alot more than enough to run Safecracker. Many pc I own now and previously can run Myst no problem. I had one issue, graphic resolution. I just changed the resolution and play game. It works fine.

Several pc games back in old day when Windows 95 and 98, ME were in use, It require set graphic resolution either 640x480 or 600x800. If you had resolution running at 1024x768, it won't run at all. Sometime it pop message asking you to lower the resolution. Because many PC have limited graphic memory and 32mb graphic card was the most powerful at that time.

Today's pc commonly set at 1280x1024 or larger and it is overkill for old games so you'll have to downgrade resolution to meet game requirement. All my system I currently have are set to 1280x1024 and I wish I could go higher than that but two of my monitors can't handle that far. I've tried set to maximum resolution at my work's workstation pc and it was rather interesting cuz icons and everything look tiny :squint: and I like it and I enjoyed playing trick on those who wear reading glasses or bi-focals wagging their tongue trying to read really fine print :eek: :giggle:

I ran Myst on my 2.2ghz AMD64 system with onboard ATI Express 200 with video share set to 128mb and had 512mb system memory and 40gb hdd. It ran no problem. Currently, It had it's new PCI Express graphic card, EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9400GT with 512mb memory. That's overkill for Myst game but still it can run anyway by adjusting graphic resolution.

Sometime some old pc or laptop with minimum or less than required minimum can run game without problem even it had little graphic memory. I had my old Dell laptop running on Myst's Riven which worked fine. It's kinda odd cuz my laptop had less than 4mb memory for (Neomagic graphic chipset) graphic while Riven requires 32mb. I think it had to do with it's 256 bit agp graphic whereas Riven might require 128 bit.

So try play around graphic resolution, set it to common resolution which are 800x600 and 1024x768 and experiment it. Won't hurt tho.

I didn't know Safecracker is very much like Myst. I could try that game.

Catty

That's heck alot more than enough to run Safecracker. Many pc I own now and previously can run Myst no problem. I had one issue, graphic resolution. I just changed the resolution and play game. It works fine.

Several pc games back in old day when Windows 95 and 98, ME were in use, It require set graphic resolution either 640x480 or 600x800. If you had resolution running at 1024x768, it won't run at all. Sometime it pop message asking you to lower the resolution. Because many PC have limited graphic memory and 32mb graphic card was the most powerful at that time.

Today's pc commonly set at 1280x1024 or larger and it is overkill for old games so you'll have to downgrade resolution to meet game requirement. All my system I currently have are set to 1280x1024 and I wish I could go higher than that but two of my monitors can't handle that far. I've tried set to maximum resolution at my work's workstation pc and it was rather interesting cuz icons and everything look tiny :squint: and I like it and I enjoyed playing trick on those who wear reading glasses or bi-focals wagging their tongue trying to read really fine print :eek: :giggle:

I ran Myst on my 2.2ghz AMD64 system with onboard ATI Express 200 with video share set to 128mb and had 512mb system memory and 40gb hdd. It ran no problem. Currently, It had it's new PCI Express graphic card, EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9400GT with 512mb memory. That's overkill for Myst game but still it can run anyway by adjusting graphic resolution.

Sometime some old pc or laptop with minimum or less than required minimum can run game without problem even it had little graphic memory. I had my old Dell laptop running on Myst's Riven which worked fine. It's kinda odd cuz my laptop had less than 4mb memory for (Neomagic graphic chipset) graphic while Riven requires 32mb. I think it had to do with it's 256 bit agp graphic whereas Riven might require 128 bit.

So try play around graphic resolution, set it to common resolution which are 800x600 and 1024x768 and experiment it. Won't hurt tho.

Catty

Not exactly. Myst use quicktime to play games. It won't let you open with high resolution or you will see blurry picture. Do you noticed why it won't let you open the game without quicktime install? Right now many games run fine without quicktime install because they use Directx or OpenGL.

Not exactly. Myst use quicktime to play games. It won't let you open with high resolution or you will see blurry picture. Do you noticed why it won't let you open the game without quicktime install? Right now many games run fine without quicktime install because they use Directx or OpenGL.

Yes. I agree with you. Myst uses quicktime 32 which is very old.

I don't know what Safecracker uses. But you could go to My Computer--hoover pointer over "Safecracker" cd and right click and choose "Explore" and see if you can find another installation file that might have missed during normal installation that would have get the game up and running.

Also you can check "Read me" files and see if there's a clue or hint to help you get it fixed.

Caty

Yep, I used Duke Nukem 3D and Doom Game on Windows 95, it's very classic games, usaually boot menu list selection "Windows 95", "Dos to DN3D game" and "Dos to Doom game".

Most classic game required have "Dos" who have a Windows 95 system. Dos can do run graphic game in 6 MB video card. if run thru windows 95, it's would choppy videos or lagging system.

Dos can handling rams up to 32 MB while caching on hard drive for dos games.
Windows 95 VM that would cause filled up too fast, can't run Dos games, it's must be use "Boot Menu" selection you can run a DOS game straightly from boot menus it's much better lesser choppy and lagging..

Did you try to reboot? and reinstall game? :hmm:

I did disabled anti-virus and firewall and etc then reboot and still not start the game.
Do your computer installed DX9c yet? If no then download Download details: DirectX 9.0c Redistributable for Software Developers

I've already installed latest DirectX 9.0c about 2 weeks ago. And updated driver for this video card.

I've done fixed that but appeared "OS Memory Pool Low" on upper and left of monitor again so I decided to unistalled the orange box.

Saw the video here:

YouTube - Safecracker InGame Video Official Trailer

Kheops Studio - Homepage

PS. Good joke BB, lol!

2 days ago I sent to foxchannel.com tech about video card and motherboard issues. Then they replied to me today:

ME:
Newegg.com - Galaxy 95TGE8HUFEXX GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

will this work on my motherboard?

FOXCHANNEL REPLY:

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for supporting Foxconn product.
We don't have a such graphic card for testing.
So we don't know if it will run on your motheboard.
We had verified FOXCONN 9500GT graphic cards on this motheboard.
They could work.

Best Regards,

Just post a link at here. Game won't play (SafeCracker) - Micro PC Talk Forums
It's already answer same as you said so.

I did read this forum before but what is "UX"?

Catty

My screen resolution is 1024x768 but my montior max resolution is 1600x1200 so I rather 1024x768 because of my fiancee's visual.

Maybe I would try on Myst game :)

Anyways the reason why I said my motherboard is worn out soon because I bought this motherboard about 2 years ago and everything fine when I put parts together in computer and start up pretty fast I was happy then suddenly few months ago this motherboard can't read my floppy drive anymore and motherboard downgrade USB 2.0 to 1.0 by itself, I can't figure out why motherboard downgraded to USB 1.0 and can't read my floppy drive anymore. I tried reinstalled motherboard CD to reinstall the USB 2.0 but still not work. I never play around with parts inside computer, I only use dust remover.

I did disabled anti-virus and firewall and etc then reboot and still not start the game.

I've already installed latest DirectX 9.0c about 2 weeks ago. And updated driver for this video card.

I've done fixed that but appeared "OS Memory Pool Low" on upper and left of monitor again so I decided to unistalled the orange box.

2 days ago I sent to foxchannel.com tech about video card and motherboard issues. Then they replied to me today:

ME:
Newegg.com - Galaxy 95TGE8HUFEXX GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

will this work on my motherboard?

FOXCHANNEL REPLY:

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for supporting Foxconn product.
We don't have a such graphic card for testing.
So we don't know if it will run on your motheboard.
We had verified FOXCONN 9500GT graphic cards on this motheboard.
They could work.

Best Regards,

I did read this forum before but what is "UX"?

My screen resolution is 1024x768 but my montior max resolution is 1600x1200 so I rather 1024x768 because of my fiancee's visual.

Maybe I would try on Myst game :)

Anyways the reason why I said my motherboard is worn out soon because I bought this motherboard about 2 years ago and everything fine when I put parts together in computer and start up pretty fast I was happy then suddenly few months ago this motherboard can't read my floppy drive anymore and motherboard downgrade USB 2.0 to 1.0 by itself, I can't figure out why motherboard downgraded to USB 1.0 and can't read my floppy drive anymore. I tried reinstalled motherboard CD to reinstall the USB 2.0 but still not work. I never play around with parts inside computer, I only use dust remover.

Sound like chipset is bad because it have overheat or bad cooling. Chipset is do for usb, audio,ethernet, and sometime onboard video. I just check up your motherboard and I just like crap! It's SIS chipset! I STAY away from any motherboard with SIS. SIS is very short life and lot issue problem.

If you plan want to get a new motherboard in future so make sure you pick nForce chipset, Intel chipset or Amd chipset, They are better than SIS chipset and VIA chipset.

Have you tried reset BIOS by using jumper on mobo? Just power off your system and crack open case and look for jumper "CMOS Clear" or refer to Motherboard manual if you have on hand or in PDF file. Put jumper in Clear and power on and off the system for short second. Then move jumper to Normal and boot up your system and go into BIOS to reset clock to current and then save/exit then let it boot to XP and see if USB 2.0 and rest of it's hardware goes back to normal. If it did then it's fixed.

Mobo can't get worn out, I have Mobo that are old and heavily use but never worn out.

Sometime BIOS get corrupted or go funky and it need reset every now and then. I know you don't know how to re-flash BIOS cuz it's risky prodecures. I re-flashes alot BIOS to current or to fix the problem. Maybe that's what causing problem with your system.

Sometime newer mobo have Winflash which you can download and install software while running Windows and download updated BIOS and flash it right there while running Windows which is the easiest thing and less risky.

Some Mobo manufacturer do include CD along with mobo that have software that allow you to install and let you verify mobo's health (temp/ fan speed/ CPU speed ect) and have BIOS flash update where you can download and update BIOS.

Catty

Have you tried reset BIOS by using jumper on mobo? Just power off your system and crack open case and look for jumper "CMOS Clear" or refer to Motherboard manual if you have on hand or in PDF file. Put jumper in Clear and power on and off the system for short second. Then move jumper to Normal and boot up your system and go into BIOS to reset clock to current and then save/exit then let it boot to XP and see if USB 2.0 and rest of it's hardware goes back to normal. If it did then it's fixed.

Mobo can't get worn out, I have Mobo that are old and heavily use but never worn out.

Sometime BIOS get corrupted or go funky and it need reset every now and then. I know you don't know how to re-flash BIOS cuz it's risky prodecures. I re-flashes alot BIOS to current or to fix the problem. Maybe that's what causing problem with your system.

Sometime newer mobo have Winflash which you can download and install software while running Windows and download updated BIOS and flash it right there while running Windows which is the easiest thing and less risky.

Some Mobo manufacturer do include CD along with mobo that have software that allow you to install and let you verify mobo's health (temp/ fan speed/ CPU speed ect) and have BIOS flash update where you can download and update BIOS.

Catty

It's about chipset. Not motherboard.:slap:I noticed SIS is very short life than nvidia, Via, and Intel. I have VIA chipset and still work great for over 15 years.

Reload or reset the BIOS should work but not 100%.

Christer, Try follow to Catty about BIOS.

Catty

Ah maybe I got a problem with motherboard since I updated BIOS version last week, that's why. I will try downgrade BIOS version and see if it's work, can I downgrade BIOS version, can't I? Honest with you this currently computer was my FIRST built computer 2 years ago and I am trying to learn how to fix and build computer, heh!

It's about chipset. Not motherboard.:slap:I noticed SIS is very short life than nvidia, Via, and Intel. I have VIA chipset and still work great for over 15 years.

Reload or reset the BIOS should work but not 100%.

Christer, Try follow to Catty about BIOS.

Sometime resetting cables, jacks, and sockets inside CPU might help also. Over the time when CPU been collecting dusts, putting up vibrations ect. Contacts may have gotten loosened, corroded, or coated with dust (remember dust mite are always at work ). Try resetting everything inside which means you'll have to do Spring Cleaning in ur CPU case.

Catty

Sometime it's too late because lot dust and mix with heat that built up the static to kill motherboard,video card, etc.

Sometime it's too late because lot dust and mix with heat that built up the static to kill motherboard,video card, etc.

Sometime not if you use toothbrush to clean the board and some hardwares real good and in hidden spots. You may get lucky if board works normally. But be sure to check the soldering too sometime it had cracks on it and needed to be re-soldered. It's just rare occurrence.

Catty

Finally I upgraded my computer system I bought from Fry's and I replaced old parts to new parts and running fine.

Core 2 Quad 9550 LGA775 @ 2.8
GigaByte GA-EP45-UD3P
Corsair CMPSU 750TX 750 Watt
Zalman CNPS9700 NT
Corsair XMS2 4GB DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) I will get 2 more soon.
I still using GF 6200 TC and planning upgrade soon, ATI or Nvidia.

Glad that you got your system replaced. yeah Zalman heatsink is big. I sure hope it's light and won't rip CPU along with it's socket and bracket if you bump or dropp CPU case :giggle:

I recalled 3 years ago that I bought huge $75 heatpipe (Antec fanless pure copper heatpipe) without looking its content before purchasing (I assumed that it was a bulky packaging something like that). I got in my truck and crack open the box and I went :eek2: and it was sooo big and tall (monster of all heatpipe). I quickly returned it to store and exchange for Gigabyte Rocket heatpipe cooler which is much smaller and lighter. Because I was afraid that if I accidently bumped or dropped CPU case, the huge Antec heatpipe would have ripped CPU w/ socket and bracket off the mobo. It's top heavy.

So wish you luck enjoying your new system and hope you're satisfied with it's speed and performance!

Try getting Nvidia graphic PCI-E. I have EVGA GeForce 9400GT PCI-E card in my AMD64 system. I love it cuz it's Linux compatible to allow me to have full Compiz Fusion settings (like water effect and more)

Catty

Heh, Thanks. I know CNPS9700 is big heatsink but keep cool in my case is very important to me or I will get BSOD if getting very hot. I had to remove the side airduct to fit my Zalman CNPS9700 NT. I'm still reading reviews of video card in newegg which I should buy.

Back