Running Video Phone software on Ubuntu

purplecatty

Reaction score
Those who are Linux users,

Have you had any luck getting any VP softwares such as ZVRS's ZPC100, Viable, Purple's P3 working on Ubuntu under Wines??

I am fully aware that Linux have issue with some brand of Webcams. I wish I had a better webcam to work with Ubuntu (I would love to get Driverless Webcam such as Logitech Vision Pro for Mac that works 100% w/ Linux). I unfortunately have Logitech Fusion webcam which have issue with it. I have 2nd webcam, Matsonic that use "STK017 chipset" (actually a cheap 4 megapix digital camera that can set to Webcam mode) and did recognize by Ubuntu but won't run video. I ran Terminal and typed "dmesg" to list running hardwares and "lsusb" to list USB included plugged USB device. It did recognize. I did compile and install "v4l2" driver and also "uvcvideo" driver too. Logitech fusion was recognized but won't play video. (I already downloaded and installed webcam softwares previously)

Anyway.... If any of you have working Webcam on Linux (works with video softwares well) or already have UVC webcam built in laptop or netbook that works 100% with Linux... Have you tried download and install VP softwares under Wines and let me know if you got it working.

If not then Wines is missing .dll drivers for connecting USB devices which can be downloaded from other site such as Winestrick. This is experimental unless any one of you report it working, let me know how it's working.

I would LOVE to hear your result on it. My friend too is a Ubuntu user and he was planning on using VP software under Wines. He don't have Windows box, he have all PC and Laptop running on Linux even Linux Router too (he use Smoothwall and Wifi card plugged in.) He's Linux crack. He have Creative webcam and said it is sucky too. We both knew of weakness on Wines.

Basically, I wanted to be able to use Linux to work with VP softwares and be able to build "liveCD" to include those softwares (customize it) so that I can use it on any PC as a LiveCD boot if I didn't bring my own laptop.

On the last note, If you think I haven't tried Linux based VP software, I've already tried, Ekiga and Skype (Skype for Linux) and one more that I downloaded and installed but forgot what the name of it.. It's already installed in Ubuntu but my webcams sucks.

Can Ekiga, Skype and one of other "phone" w/ video software work with VP200, ZVRS products, or Purple P3 ect... I have no freak'n idea about it. It's SIP based software. Let me know as well!!

Catty

VP for LINUX as UBUNTU..

Hey dudes.. glad you brought that up... sigh for 3 years I have been struggle to make these works under WINE.. umm yo @ chevy 57.. yeah yoy are good at posting other threads down here at alldeaf.com I do enjoy your posts on other threads.. but.. umm.. sigh.. explains about P3??? you can forget it.. its all work in Microsoft. .and the cam will not work under the WINE stuff and their kernel will not work with the cam from P3.. sad yup..

other than that I do have success to make any cam to work with LINUX even if it don't work under the LINUX I can go though the video channels in their under USB direction root.. like usb/video/vab1, or vab2, etc.. and I did got these work with any cam.. wonderful.. and I could configure, do any setting on any programs under LINUX to work with the cam such as skype.. :D

skype will work with only other skype.. i know you are asking for viop or any vp software to work with any vp.. .. currently I'm studying on YATE, TCPCAM and LINPHONE... these is for UBUNTU, puppy linux you should give a puppy linux lucid a shot.. its wonderful in the usb flashdrive live in case you do not have any computer.. or CD. you might be afraid if CD could have some scratches if you got kids lol.. so USB flashdrive does come in handy and it does save the infos everytime you use the flashdrive.. better than a "live" which u cant save the infos like contacts lists.. oohh you see now.. umm sorry that I didnt post any early past 3 years.. so I decide to post what I have done success on something..

btw have anyone heard about Iwrelay.com/cloud? its success on mac osx, and microssoft and it only require adobe flash player and firefox or IE.. with adobe flash player.. so I gave a shot on my ubuntu with firefox and capable cam..a try.. you wouldn't believe it.. it came out success.. i was speechless. I mean its first one that work on UBUNTU and will work on puppy linux or any linux distro I was shocked I even played it with KDE and gnome, and xterm.. it works wonderful.. so i found these people who work hard in IWrelay.com/cloud.. I told them it does work on LINUX.. and I told them to pleaSe have it work for us to call anyone on their VP from the iwrelay/cloud.. and they did informed me recent that they are working HARD to make that work for us to call anyone iwrelay.com/cloud to any vp they said ANY VP I was so pleased.. that means we only need to log in on any computers with cam on it.. or bring your own cam.. that is very awesome and thrilled!! so while they are working on it.. I will work on linphone, tcpcam, and yate.. I hope yall go deep as I can.. :wave: row the boat we are in the same boat just row it.. :naughty:

Hey dudes.. glad you brought that up... sigh for 3 years I have been struggle to make these works under WINE.. umm yo @ chevy 57.. yeah yoy are good at posting other threads down here at alldeaf.com I do enjoy your posts on other threads.. but.. umm.. sigh.. explains about P3??? you can forget it.. its all work in Microsoft. .and the cam will not work under the WINE stuff and their kernel will not work with the cam from P3.. sad yup..

other than that I do have success to make any cam to work with LINUX even if it don't work under the LINUX I can go though the video channels in their under USB direction root.. like usb/video/vab1, or vab2, etc.. and I did got these work with any cam.. wonderful.. and I could configure, do any setting on any programs under LINUX to work with the cam such as skype.. :D

skype will work with only other skype.. i know you are asking for viop or any vp software to work with any vp.. .. currently I'm studying on YATE, TCPCAM and LINPHONE... these is for UBUNTU, puppy linux you should give a puppy linux lucid a shot.. its wonderful in the usb flashdrive live in case you do not have any computer.. or CD. you might be afraid if CD could have some scratches if you got kids lol.. so USB flashdrive does come in handy and it does save the infos everytime you use the flashdrive.. better than a "live" which u cant save the infos like contacts lists.. oohh you see now.. umm sorry that I didnt post any early past 3 years.. so I decide to post what I have done success on something..

btw have anyone heard about Iwrelay.com/cloud? its success on mac osx, and microssoft and it only require adobe flash player and firefox or IE.. with adobe flash player.. so I gave a shot on my ubuntu with firefox and capable cam..a try.. you wouldn't believe it.. it came out success.. i was speechless. I mean its first one that work on UBUNTU and will work on puppy linux or any linux distro I was shocked I even played it with KDE and gnome, and xterm.. it works wonderful.. so i found these people who work hard in IWrelay.com/cloud.. I told them it does work on LINUX.. and I told them to pleaSe have it work for us to call anyone on their VP from the iwrelay/cloud.. and they did informed me recent that they are working HARD to make that work for us to call anyone iwrelay.com/cloud to any vp they said ANY VP I was so pleased.. that means we only need to log in on any computers with cam on it.. or bring your own cam.. that is very awesome and thrilled!! so while they are working on it.. I will work on linphone, tcpcam, and yate.. I hope yall go deep as I can.. :wave: row the boat we are in the same boat just row it.. :naughty:

I tested the iwrelay.com/cloud and it works great on Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat on my new Acer Aspire 1551 with AMD Althon Neo II Dual core processor. All I have to do is to configure Adobe Flashplayer setting on browser that show box with audio, file, camera. On Camera tab, click to "Accept" and checkmark "Remember" so that it'll run webcam each time you use iwrelay.com/cloud. It works for me.

The Acer's built in webcam is laggy at best (my sign is blurry when I sign fast.) So I use Logitech Vision Pro for Mac (Driverless webcam for all platforms). The video look slick and smooth on self view. The Relay operator's video is smooth on Firefox browser, no issue.

It's great that I would be able to use Flash base relay service. I'm THRILLED!!!! I sorely need that!!

Catty :rockon:

Last edited:
Back