Rude school counselor suggested WHAT?

meganv218

Reaction score
My counselor at school (in response to hearing that I wanted to major in ASL and teach it in schools as a career) suggested that I give that "nonsense" up and just get a business degree..her reasoning? that ASL is the equivalent to "cave man" language and that no one uses sign language anymore because of CIs.

Some people just make me want to scream! Let's hear your opinions?

Also: Do you think ASL usage is increasing or decreasing?

Personally, I think that it's now being taught more and more in public schools to hearing kids, it's more available than ever. Families of Deafies and HOHs are learning, and even people with CIs are still learning it. ASL isn't vanishing. That's my opinion.

My counselor at school (in response to hearing that I wanted to major in ASL and teach it in schools as a career) suggested that I give that "nonsense" up and just get a business degree..her reasoning? that ASL is the equivalent to "cave man" language and that no one uses sign language anymore because of CIs.

Personally, I think that it's now being taught more and more in public schools to hearing kids, it's more available than ever. Families of Deafies and HOHs are learning, and even people with CIs are still learning it. ASL isn't vanishing. That's my opinion.
I think you posted similar before. This seems calculated to inflame.

A school counselor shouldn't be that ill informed about ASL, and would know that it is widely used among kids with CI being taught in deaf programs in the public schools.

As for discouraging you to major in ASL with a view to being an ASL teacher, I don't know how many hearing people are employed in this way.

Every ASL teacher I had was Deaf.

Yes, I posted in the other tread. Talk to people at college-level ASL programs. Do some research on job opportunities. A lot depends on where you want to live. I don't think it's useful for us to speculate on this.

I think you posted similar before. This seems calculated to inflame.

A school counselor shouldn't be that ill informed about ASL, and would know that it is widely used among kids with CI being taught in deaf programs in the public schools.

As for discouraging you to major in ASL with a view to being an ASL teacher, I don't know how many hearing people are employed in this way.

Every ASL teacher I had was Deaf.

It's done often enough, my ASL teacher is hearing. And my similar post was my introduction one, I had made a comment about this when someone asked if I'd talked to my counselor.

Just wanting to get input, seems no one around me has any opinions/information. Other than negative ones based on lack of knowledge. :squint:

Yes, I posted in the other tread. Talk to people at college-level ASL programs. Do some research on job opportunities. A lot depends on where you want to live. I don't think it's useful for us to speculate on this.

I'm wondering on your input on ASL, not my career choices. Just giving background info when I mentioned that.

I'm wondering on your input on ASL, not my career choices. Just giving background info when I mentioned that.

How about you PM me with the name of the school and the counselor, and I'll give her a little education.;)

Sounds like my xp with DRS when they told me that I should get a degree in something practical instead of art.

my opinion? my response to that counselor would be - "I believe you should give up this nonsense and just get a real job like working at CVS."

my reasoning? Because her advice is equivalent to caveman era and no one thinks that anymore because it's 21st century. Many disabled people are a much more productive and useful citizens than people with the like of her.

my opinion? my response to that counselor would be - "I believe you should give up this nonsense and just get a real job like working at CVS."

my reasoning? Because her advice is equivalent to caveman era and no one thinks that anymore because it's 21st century. Many disabled people are a much more productive and useful citizens than people with the like of her.

And add that...

tell her :the management at CVS probably makes more money that you do ."

Seems like she should be fluent in ASL since it sounds like she lives in a cave. :roll:

How about you PM me with the name of the school and the counselor, and I'll give her a little education.;)

I would absolutely love to see that happen.

Of course, if it doesn't, I think the kid is lying.

maybe, or could it be misunderstanding? I know jillio will do that to make sure if information is accurate from them.

maybe, or could it be misunderstanding? I know jillio will do that to make sure if information is accurate from them.

I think that was a bold statement if a counselor made it. And I don't believe it.

I have enough bad things in my life without a high school kid coming in here making up hurtful things somebody said.

I think that was a bold statement if a counselor made it. And I don't believe it.

I have enough bad things in my life without a high school kid coming in here making up hurtful things somebody said.

True. I agree. but some advisors may have issues too. But i know jillio handles it properly by asking them to be making sure if they actually say that or not. If they did say that to her but denies to jilio. FINE so this person knows we all are not that stupid.

Ahhh...you read between my lines!:giggle:

If this situation did occur, it is an easy matter to take care of, one counselor to another, in a professional manner. Of course, if the student refuses to provide the information needed to take care of the situation, then one has to wonder if it occured at all. If it did occur, then this is more than just a counselor being rude. This is a counselor making false statements, and entering into ethical violations.

I once told a case worker I wanted to be a social worker, and she said " You can't do that, deaf people can't be social workers! " I did go to collage on my own to be one but I got really sick and did not go back to college. I became a health aide instead.

I once told a case worker I wanted to be a social worker, and she said " You can't do that, deaf people can't be social workers! " I did go to collage on my own to be one but I got really sick and did not go back to college. I became a health aide instead.

I know of more than one deaf social worker.

Back