RSD students present idea to JetBlue

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
RSD students present idea to JetBlue - RocNow.com

Four students from the Rochester School for the Deaf created a plan to make flying easier for the deaf community that involves LED message boards on planes.

The students presented their findings to three Jet Blue officials this morning in hopes of moving the initiative forward. The message board would be in the front of the plane and would provide all passengers — deaf and hearing — information about gate changes, emergencies, baggage claim, turbulence, weather or connecting flights.

Students said that the deaf community needs the same access to appropriate communication that everyone else has when flying.

“Before I did the research I never though much of the announcements said inside the airplane because I never heard them,” said Ashley LaBarge, of Penn Yan, Yates County, a 10th-grade student at the Rochester School for the Deaf. “But once I found exactly what they were telling people, I realized that it was important information that I was missing out on and it doesn’t feel good not having the same information that everyone else has.”

The three Jet Blue officials were impressed by the report and said they would take it to corporate very soon.

“I’m excited about this project and something is going to happen one way or another with it,” said Katherine Sarkis, general manager for Jet Blue. “Something like this would be invaluable for all our passengers.”

For more information on the program, go to LED Messaging Boards for Airplanes - Petition Spot.

all for more reason why I fly JetBlue. It's a great airline and by far - the simplest & cheapest one to fly. I've flown dirt-cheap flights and they were crampy and uncomfortable.

my flight to Seattle

4400_796574436369_8825246_45826425_8283538_n.jpg

Back