Rock Climbing commands

joycem137

Reaction score
Recently, my friend and I went top-rope rock climbing together. It was a lot of fun, but we discovered some challenges with communication on the rock face. My friend is deaf and I have CAPD, which means I'm effectively hearing or effectively hard-of-hearing depending on the situation.

On the rock face, ASL is great, so long as we can see each other. But sometimes, climber and belayer can't see each other, and that proved challenging.

There are 5 basic commands that you need when climbing:
  1. Tension - Pull up the slack and make the rope tighter.
  2. Slack - Give me some slack on the rope. (Used when navigating to a different position on the rock face)
  3. On belay - I am on the rope and need you to pay attention and keep me safe.
  4. Climbing - I am starting to climb.
  5. Lower Me - I'm done climbing and ready to be lowered back down.

We tried using these rope tug commands from eHow, but it proved difficult to determine how many tugs were actually coming through the rope.

The problem was that either the rope would be so bouncy that a single tug would come through as multiple tugs, or the tension on the rope would be such that we couldn't feel the tug coming through at all.

There was only one section of the route where our vision was blocked, and that was basically flat and safe, so it wasn't a big deal, but we were unable to use the tug system. We wound up just holding up fingers indicating the number of tugs we would have used.

Anyone out there have any advice for us on how to make this tug system work, or better ways of communicating on the rock face when we're out of sight?

Last edited:
I will get back to you on this when I get info from my friend.

Good questions....necessity is the mother of inventions....maybe you can come up with a new gadget.

try using secondary thin rope. I would discourage the use of electronic technology because it's always prone to failure and complication/confusion.

try using secondary thin rope. I would discourage the use of electronic technology because it's always prone to failure and complication/confusion.

Hmmm... That's a good idea... It wouldn't be hard to get a very thin bit of accessory cord that was long enough to tug on, and you could knot it at the belayer's end in such a way that tugs would be noticed, but normal pulling while climbing would go smooth.

Medium gauge nylon fishing line comes to mind....but would be hard to see and could get tangled easily...

Hmmm... That's a good idea... It wouldn't be hard to get a very thin bit of accessory cord that was long enough to tug on, and you could knot it at the belayer's end in such a way that tugs would be noticed, but normal pulling while climbing would go smooth.

Medium gauge nylon fishing line comes to mind....but would be hard to see and could get tangled easily...

not THAT thin. I mean like shoelace type or similar.

Recently, my friend and I went top-rope rock climbing together. It was a lot of fun, but we discovered some challenges with communication on the rock face. My friend is deaf and I have CAPD, which means I'm effectively hearing or effectively hard-of-hearing depending on the situation.

On the rock face, ASL is great, so long as we can see each other. But sometimes, climber and belayer can't see each other, and that proved challenging.

There are 5 basic commands that you need when climbing:
  1. Tension - Pull up the slack and make the rope tighter.
  2. Slack - Give me some slack on the rope. (Used when navigating to a different position on the rock face)
  3. On belay - I am on the rope and need you to pay attention and keep me safe.
  4. Climbing - I am starting to climb.
  5. Lower Me - I'm done climbing and ready to be lowered back down.

We tried using these rope tug commands from eHow, but it proved difficult to determine how many tugs were actually coming through the rope.

The problem was that either the rope would be so bouncy that a single tug would come through as multiple tugs, or the tension on the rope would be such that we couldn't feel the tug coming through at all.

There was only one section of the route where our vision was blocked, and that was basically flat and safe, so it wasn't a big deal, but we were unable to use the tug system. We wound up just holding up fingers indicating the number of tugs we would have used.

Anyone out there have any advice for us on how to make this tug system work, or better ways of communicating on the rock face when we're out of sight?

Hi Joyce :)

Usually, my deaf friends and I would come up with "standard" hand signal before we climb.

ON BELAY - when he/she's ready to climb... we use this signal ... one hand opens up like...when you sign the letter B but w/ your thumbs out.. as if you're signing "wall"... all of your fingers and hands are "open"... then you have the other hand to represent as a person so i use the index finger as a "person" then i put it together.. (like if you're ringing the bell but. it's more of a person WALKING to the wall)... that's for ON BELAY...

The belayer will NOT hold the rope at all until he/she SEES the climber do this "on belay" hand signal... then when the belayer holds the rope, that is a signal to tell the climber that he/she's READY.

if the climber needs rest, the climber will put out one arm and make a fist for "hold"....

when the climber gets to the top... the climber looks down to teh belayer and gives the belayer a thumbs up... the belayer respond w/ the thumbs up too to let the climber know that he/she is aware and will beley the climber down now...

for slack. we still struggle w/ this sign.. someone suggest shaking their leg (lol)... but for me, i just "pull" my rope to let the belayer know that i need slack... i think that's a good signal.

if a climber climbs but cannot go any further and wants to come down (give up), we use the "cut our heads off" signal to show them that we're done and please belay down

hope you can use these signals w/ your deaf peers.. you can even make some up if you want.:hmm:

Hi Joyce :)

Usually, my deaf friends and I would come up with "standard" hand signal before we climb.

ON BELAY - when he/she's ready to climb... we use this signal ... one hand opens up like...when you sign the letter B but w/ your thumbs out.. as if you're signing "wall"... all of your fingers and hands are "open"... then you have the other hand to represent as a person so i use the index finger as a "person" then i put it together.. (like if you're ringing the bell but. it's more of a person WALKING to the wall)... that's for ON BELAY...

The belayer will NOT hold the rope at all until he/she SEES the climber do this "on belay" hand signal... then when the belayer holds the rope, that is a signal to tell the climber that he/she's READY.

if the climber needs rest, the climber will put out one arm and make a fist for "hold"....

when the climber gets to the top... the climber looks down to teh belayer and gives the belayer a thumbs up... the belayer respond w/ the thumbs up too to let the climber know that he/she is aware and will beley the climber down now...

for slack. we still struggle w/ this sign.. someone suggest shaking their leg (lol)... but for me, i just "pull" my rope to let the belayer know that i need slack... i think that's a good signal.

if a climber climbs but cannot go any further and wants to come down (give up), we use the "cut our heads off" signal to show them that we're done and please belay down

hope you can use these signals w/ your deaf peers.. you can even make some up if you want.:hmm:

Because of my position from below or my belayer's position from below/behind me when I'm up, we stick to clear, simple signs right near the climber's hip (nothing near the neck). It also looks very intentional when your hand is at your hip because usually it may be hovering near the wall. Similar strategy though.

When all else fails, the belayer's job is just to be ready at all times to catch. If you feel uneasy and need more tension.... you may slip. If you fall off the wall the belayer always just needs to be ready. No signs needed at that point!

Back