Roam or not to Roam on Sprint Blackberry Curve 8330

purplecatty

Reaction score
I went to Camp Wood site in Elmdale, KS 66850 for Family reunion over the weekend. I took my sons with me along with my brother and my parent. I want to contact my wife to let her know we're there. When I passed through Emporia, KS and my BB Curve signal went 1x then upon arrival, it went dead (X'ed out). But the signal was spotty in Elmdale, ks and I do get 1xEV for brief period of time then had EV (without 1x) for few minutes then it went dead the rest of the day.. Luckily, I brought my old Dell Laptop over with USB Wifi adapter cuz Camp Wood have free Wifi access ready.

Yesterday, I went fishing alone while my sons were with my brother for horseback riding. I caught couple of largemouth bass (largest is 10" and shortest is 6" :giggle: ) then lost my favorite lure that got snagged on log under the water :pissed: .. I headed back to camp to wash my hand and decide to fiddle around BB Curve Network setting. It was set to "Home Only" and I tried "Automatic". It went full bar with 1xEV :eek2: .. I was planning to leave it that way but was afraid that it's set to Roaming and don't want to get charged for it.

Have anyone use BB Curve network set to Automatic and have you had Roaming charge?

Just curious.

If there's no charge then I would switch it and leave it on.

Catty

yes, roaming charge. see your Sprint map coverage
Sprint - Nationwide Coverage :(

map.jpg

I have my AT&T Tilt which including WiFi. I won't pay for roaming charge in nothern Arizona. I used wifi networking in my mobile near hotel or somewhere.

On my BB under Verizon, Automatic was set by default and there's no roaming charge either.

I checked out on coverage and it is covered by Verizon, you are probably use Verizon network for roaming, it's part of partnership deal with Sprint.

Catty, you need call Sprint and ask them about roaming charge or you could wait until next bill.

Catty,

No, there are no roaming charge on Sprint Relay Data Only Plan. My Sprint BB was set to automatic and was able roaming some area.

When you are roaming into Canada, that will be interchange roaming charges. Last year, I went to Niagara Falls, Ontario and was in roaming. In Canada, I was able access some web sites and checked some messages for three days. Next month, I received my bill and there were only 2 dollars for international data roaming charges.

Tim

Catty,

No, there are no roaming charge on Sprint Relay Data Only Plan. My Sprint BB was set to automatic and was able roaming some area.

When you are roaming into Canada, that will be interchange roaming charges. Last year, I went to Niagara Falls, Ontario and was in roaming. In Canada, I was able access some web sites and checked some messages for three days. Next month, I received my bill and there were only 2 dollars for international data roaming charges.

Tim

Thanks for clarification!

That helps. I will switch it on and leave it there since I'm right in the center of USA anyway. Now that I recalled it was set to Automatic and I shouldn't mess with the setting!! Oh well. It was full bars when I was in Elmdale, KS when I switch to Automatic.

Thanks
Catty

My flickr.com site no longer have "img" copy and paste. I'm switching over to Photobucket. Sorry for the mess. But you can click the link above to view the sprint coverage in Elmdale, ks.

Catty

I went to Camp Wood site in Elmdale, KS 66850 for Family reunion over the weekend. I took my sons with me along with my brother and my parent. I want to contact my wife to let her know we're there. When I passed through Emporia, KS and my BB Curve signal went 1x then upon arrival, it went dead (X'ed out). But the signal was spotty in Elmdale, ks and I do get 1xEV for brief period of time then had EV (without 1x) for few minutes then it went dead the rest of the day.. Luckily, I brought my old Dell Laptop over with USB Wifi adapter cuz Camp Wood have free Wifi access ready.

Yesterday, I went fishing alone while my sons were with my brother for horseback riding. I caught couple of largemouth bass (largest is 10" and shortest is 6" :giggle: ) then lost my favorite lure that got snagged on log under the water :pissed: .. I headed back to camp to wash my hand and decide to fiddle around BB Curve Network setting. It was set to "Home Only" and I tried "Automatic". It went full bar with 1xEV :eek2: .. I was planning to leave it that way but was afraid that it's set to Roaming and don't want to get charged for it.

Have anyone use BB Curve network set to Automatic and have you had Roaming charge?

Just curious.

If there's no charge then I would switch it and leave it on.

Catty

Home only = Sprint only and Automatic = Sprint and Verizon if Sprint got weak signal then auto switch to Verizon.

Roaming is no charged.

Automatic is default for Blackberry. You should mess up the mobile network options if you don't know. :aw: I found it out around 6 months ago.

Home only = Sprint only and Automatic = Sprint and Verizon if Sprint got weak signal then auto switch to Verizon.

Roaming is no charged.

Automatic is default for Blackberry. You should mess up the mobile network options if you don't know. :aw: I found it out around 6 months ago.

Yup, that's right and Catty won't pay attention to my post.

Catty,

Tim

Yes you are correct. Bear your mind how much you use internet such as Google Maps or website in other country, it will charge hefty. To avoid having an international charge if you use websites or Google Map heavily so simply uses a wi-fi network. It charges you absolutely NOTHING. But unfortunately Sprint and Verizon don't have any Wi-Fi built in BlackBerry models.:giggle:

You had "Voice" only which is on Roaming but I have Unlimited Data Plan only so I clicked "Data, Email, and Multimedia" button and it show "Data Broadband Roaming--Limited access to some service"

Sprint - Nationwide Coverage

Purplecatty,

Yes, you have data broadband roaming coverage in your area. You should see 1XEV on your blackberry.

D = old-fashioned voice only
1x = voice/text only
1X = slow data
1XEV = fast data

Sword7

Purplecatty,

Yes, you have data broadband roaming coverage in your area. You should see 1XEV on your blackberry.

D = old-fashioned voice only
1x = voice/text only
1X = slow data
1XEV = fast data

Sword7

Yeah, I saw 'D' popped next to 'antenna'. I didn't know what it was but I figure it might have voice only. Until you listed it. I hit the right target.

I did see 1x and 1X. Then 1XEV.

It seem I got all four 'symbols' at the camp which was why signal are 'funky' when I was outside trying to locate good signal.

Each time I pull out BB, I got good signal and begin to type, signal went X'ed out. It did every time I pulled out. I bet my body is a 'ground', preventing signal from staying on. I culd have left my BB on picnic table and use pencil eraser to type it without physically touching BB and without losing signal.

It's funny tho

Thanks for the definitions!

Catty

Sprint ?!?!?!

Ack. I'd rather hang myself than going back to them.

I've switched carriers from from Sprint to Verizon, and I haven't looked back since!

Back