Review of Glow Gloves for Night Signing

joycem137

Reaction score
Just thought I'd drop a note/review about these glow-in-the-dark gloves made for signed communication in the dark.
Home - GlowGloves.com

My friends and I went out to Lake Success near Porterville, CA to go camping and stargazing with my telescope. To see some of the dimmer objects in the sky, it is important to develop as much dark adaptation in one's eyes as possible. That means that light sources need to be extremely limited. We only had a few very dim red flash lights that we turned on on occasion. We also did this on a weekend close to the new moon, meaning not much in the way of light in the sky.

Obviously, this makes it difficult to communicate visually. Since one of our party was deaf, the rest of us used the glow gloves above to communicate and talk about what we were looking at.

We did not get a chance to properly charge the gloves during the day by leaving them under a light or out under the sun. Instead, they sat exposed in the car during our 5 hour road trip. As a result, they were quite dim when it was time to use them, but they were definitely visible at close range for about 4 hours.

Communication was difficult, but not impossible, using the gloves as they were in that environment. We had the advantage of nearby camps using bright lamps that were shining towards us helping a little, but not that much. We had to sign slower than usual, especially when doing fingerspelling, and there were a few times we had to repeat things, but overall, communication was happening successfully.

In my experience with the gloves, they seem to be quite bright when properly charged, and last for a very long time. The contrast on the gloves is not great. The nice texture you see on their website is not actually present on the gloves themselves unless you charge them in that pattern.

However, they are definitely effective for communication as far as we can tell. We'll be looking into these even more into the future, as one of our next trips will take us to death valley on another moonless night.

Back