Researching Hearing aids-AtlasPlus I-1250

ToLisaG

Reaction score
Hello,

My mother who is 74 has been recommended a mid-priced ($1250) hearing aid by Oticon, AtlasPlus I-1250. (by her Dr.)

This will be her 3rd hearing aid - the first one she had worked great for 13 years, the second one was a cheap one and was lousy was not usable. Especially after the good quality of the first one she had.

Where can we reasearch if this is the best choice for her? We don't want to get stuck with another dud.

Anyone here have any experience with either this particular model or with Oticon hearing aids in general?

If not, other than the Oticon site itself, any other places where I can research the customer satisfaction?

Thanks in advance

I encouage you to let her to try other brands such as phonak, widex, and starkey. It is the only way for her to try them. Or, you could read some of our AD posts...

Some digital hearing aids are better. I had 4 Oticon replacements in the past. I just like Starkey PXP DiVini. I could not get the Widex Senso because my state does not approve it because it is too cost. It's up to your state that allows you to get the brand(s). A few deafies are very lucky that they got what they wanted.

It is important that the hearing aid should comes with a wheel (volume adjuster). Please do not listen her audiologist if she/he said that the wheel is not important. (Note: Widex Bravo volume adjuster is very limited that does not let you to reduce the background sound environment.) She should get them for a few weeks free trials to see which one she likes the most.

I had my audiologist, and she had no patience after I tried five different brands. I told her that it is not easy for me to make the decision. I told her that if she is deaf. She should realize that. She didn't say anything.

My experience with Oticon hearing aids has been excellent -- as far as their analog aids are concerned. I have a pair of analog Oticon 380P BTEs that are 15 years old and have not required a single repair.

Unfortunately, my experience with digital Oticon aids has not been that positive. In the 4 years I've owned them (Oticon DigiFocus II super power BTEs), they have been sent in for repair twice -- once to replace a damaged microphone -- and recently for a problem related to the amplifier. At the moment I'm experiencing problems with my digital aid cutting in and out in humid weather -- something that doesn't happen with analog aids.

I think the best thing you can do is to have your mother try several hearing aid brands before making a final decision. Oticon, Phonak, Widex, etc. are all well-respected companies that make excellent hearing aids, so I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Something else to think about are what features your mother would like the hearing aids to have. Do the HAs have an adjustable volume control (preferably thumbwheel controlled) so she can adjust the aid when sounds are too loud or soft? Do they have a strong T-coil that will allow her to hear clearly (as much as possible) on the phone? Do they have the capacity for direct audio input so that she can plug directly into an FM system/assistive listening device or other portable audio device?

I hope this helps! :)

Hear Again said:
My experience with Oticon hearing aids has been excellent -- as far as their analog aids are concerned. I have a pair of analog Oticon 380P BTEs that are 15 years old and have not required a single repair.

Unfortunately, my experience with digital Oticon aids has not been that positive. In the 4 years I've owned them (Oticon DigiFocus II super power BTEs), they have been sent in for repair twice -- once to replace a damaged microphone -- and recently for a problem related to the amplifier. At the moment I'm experiencing problems with my digital aid cutting in and out in humid weather -- something that doesn't happen with analog aids.

I have an analog Oticon 390 PL and I have no problems with it too. :) Thank you for sharing your experience with the digital Oticon aids...I will keep it in mind when I purchase a new hearing aid soon. :) Maybe most digital aids works fine?? but hope yours is working fine now. :)

Glad everyone's reccomending experimenting with the different aids.
I do know that Oticons and Phonaks are supposed to be some of the best brands out there....and I LOVE my Phonaks. I thought that digitals tended to be more prone to breakage and were more fragile (one big reason why I stuck with analogs)

Thanks

Thanks so much for your responses.

My mother has a "Starkey", but at the moment, I have no idea which model it was... but, it did NOT work for her. I think it was a really cheap model though.

In terms of trying different aids... We will be paying for this one out of pocket since the one she did get help for paying for STUNK. I saved up money for the last few months so she could get this one. :dunno:

But, perhaps I need to help her talk with the audiologist ... and consider an analong for her. I don't know what her first hearing aid (that worked well for her) was, but since it was about 15 years ago (I think), I'm assuming it was analog.

No one has even mentioned that it's possible to have "trials". I didn't think that was possible since the aid is supposedly molded to fit in your ear.

As you can probably tell, we're real "rookies" at this, so you've been very helpful.

Perhaps there's some here who have worked with PA in getting help with paying for hearing aids... I'll start a new thread for that!!

Back