Research Study

Who conducted it and paid for it?

Dimity Dornan and Carol Flexer. I am not familar with the first person but Carol Flexor is a widely known and well respected professional.

Dimity Dornan and Carol Flexer. I am not familar with the first person but Carol Flexor is a widely known and well respected professional.

Is Carol Flexor the one with a doctorate in audiology?

Yep, the very same.

Ah okay. There's just a lot of these studies. I don't really have much to say on the subject at the moment.

Although I'm always fascinated with progress children can make in different settings.

What about the children who are falling behind? Oh wait, you can't find them in the statistics. Why is that? That's because the students were probably transferred so they are no longer included in the statistics.

I wouldn't be surprised if the students were transferred to the schools for the deaf. I used to attend a school for the deaf. There were some students with cochlear implants who were transferred to the school because they were falling behind at their old schools. There were also students who were in the oral program and they had to transfer because they couldn't keep up with their peers.

Exactly. I think these studies wont count these children statistics for fear of changing the numbers.

I am not an oral "failure". I am definitely an oral success. Still love my ASL though.

This week at work being oral is slowly killing me as I have bizarre miscommunications with my client with accents. Oral skills only go so far.

I am the same way as you. Most strangers can understand me but I'm afraid I tend to remain quiet in groups because I can not follow the converstation. If i could, I'd never be quiet. My hearing is not enough to be able to follow groups of people even in quiet places - let alone a place with a lot of background noises. But no, the hearing are only interested in if they can understand me and not if *I* can understand them.

Very true A and shel90.
Speech, as with anything, improves with practice and declines with a lack of practice. Individual speech perception and production most likely varies depending on their everyday environment (whether they are forced to use/practice speech).
shel90 I think the reason that most people give for forcing/encouraging children to use spoken English is that it's most often used in the hearing world which Deaf people are forced to interact with. (Not that that is a good reason.) I believe that a first language of ASL can positive benefit the development of spoken English as a second language.

Wirelessly posted

Well ... I just look up the study you showed but I can't find it somewhere else.

Also, I looked up two persons you mention.

http://www.google.com/m?q=Dimity+Dornan+and+Carol+Flexer

I think that explains why. They are seemingly from Alexander Graham Bell Association..... or something.

Wirelessly posted

thanx2gezus said:
Very true A and shel90.
Speech, as with anything, improves with practice and declines with a lack of practice. Individual speech perception and production most likely varies depending on their everyday environment (whether they are forced to use/practice speech).
shel90 I think the reason that most people give for forcing/encouraging children to use spoken English is that it's most often used in the hearing world which Deaf people are forced to interact with. (Not that that is a good reason.) I believe that a first language of ASL can positive benefit the development of spoken English as a second language.

Last sentence - that is what I pointed out in my pervious comments... too bad, everyone think ASL is horrible. :|

Very true A and shel90.

I have seen proof of that in real life as a teacher.

Bingo. Why would it matter if your speech skills are better? My speech skills are awesome, but who cares how good they are if it's really difficult for me to understand other people? Who cares, as long as I'm getting a good education and trying to better myself academically!

BTW, FJ said something about being able to hear a sound from 20 feet away (I think it was the 's' sound), if they are appropriately MAPped, but once again, not all CI children get the same benefit. Just like with HAs, not all children will hear the 's' sound from 20 feet away, even if appropriately adjusted.

I am not quite 47, and I still do not know what the "s" sound is. I had HA's from ages 7-10 and 38 - 43, and at 38 finally heard the sound of a toilet flushing for the first time and heard a bull frog for the first time. I still never, ever heard a lot of speech sounds and now that I am 4 years total deaf, my speech is getting lousy and people are having a hard time understanding me.

But the fact is that the kids aren't falling behind, they aren't missing out on academics, and their self esteem isn't lousy. All the things that people claim here, everyday, have been proven false. How do you deny the research?

That's a crock of poop!!!!

I can hear the "s" sound in my unimplanted ear with my hearing aid... but someone have to make that sound directly at my microphone. But all whispers sound like "s" sound to me with HA.

But the fact is that the kids aren't falling behind, they aren't missing out on academics, and their self esteem isn't lousy. All the things that people claim here, everyday, have been proven false. How do you deny the research?

This is really confusing. How old is this research? If I remember correctly, someone been saying that kids who was implanted late are behind their peers and that they need to be implanted as soon as possible. If this early test, then they were either testing kids who were implanted late, or testing kids who are too young right now.

You aren't allowed to exclude a child just because you don't like what it shows :roll:

I think they would be disqualified, wouldn't they? because they switched school and not really quite bibi and no longer oral only.

Back