Research Study

thanx2gezus

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, :wave:
Throughout my school program (I'm studying to be an Audiologist) I have the opportunity to research various topics. I'm currently considering doing a research study on Deaf, hard-of-hearing, and/or Deaf culture.
If I could research any topic, what would you like to know? What would you like others to know? (About your hearing, your communication, et cetera.)
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

:ty:

I'd love to see more research about the benefits of bilingualism (or multilingualism) for those who are Hoh or deaf. Also regarding the dichotomy of mulitlingualism being encouraged in the hearing world, yet discouraged for those who are hoh/deaf (in terms of visual language)

For years a horrifically large percentage of Audiologists (including 3 of my own over the years) were formally taught, and then regurgitated the myth that if a Hoh or deaf child/adult learned sign language (or any manual communication) it would negatively impact their speech and listening skills ... however this is simply NOT true.

In the hearing world, bilingualism and multi-lingualism are known to be positive attributes which increase intelligent and linguistic comprehension - thus encouraged in most, if not all countries (there are a great many countries in which it is perfectly normal for people to grow up fluent, or nearly so in 2 or more languages ).
Thus there is a massive inconsistency in the idea that hoh or deaf individuals may somehow be harmed my learning another language, and will somehow use a specific language, or type of language as a "crutch". This is specially an "invented concern" in terms of visual languages which are so naturally suited to those who's hearing loss making comprehending speech difficult, if not impossible.

I'd love to see more research about the benefits of bilingualism (or multilingualism) for those who are Hoh or deaf. Also regarding the dichotomy of mulitlingualism being encouraged in the hearing world, yet discouraged for those who are hoh/deaf (in terms of visual language)

For years a horrifically large percentage of Audiologists (including 3 of my own over the years) were formally taught, and then regurgitated the myth that if a Hoh or deaf child/adult learned sign language (or any manual communication) it would negatively impact their speech and listening skills ... however this is simply NOT true.

In the hearing world, bilingualism and multi-lingualism are known to be positive attributes which increase intelligent and linguistic comprehension - thus encouraged in most, if not all countries (there are a great many countries in which it is perfectly normal for people to grow up fluent, or nearly so in 2 or more languages ).
Thus there is a massive inconsistency in the idea that hoh or deaf individuals may somehow be harmed my learning another language, and will somehow use a specific language, or type of language as a "crutch". This is specially an "invented concern" in terms of visual languages which are so naturally suited to those who's hearing loss making comprehending speech difficult, if not impossible.

So true..

Actually the latest research shows that kids with CI's that are in oral only classrooms end up with better oral language outcomes than those in classrooms that use both....

:io:

Anji, this person is researching on Audiology, which they are not really interested in educational setting but more on auditory setting like speech and hearing.

Anji, this person is researching on Audiology, which they are not really interested in educational setting but more on auditory setting like speech and hearing.

From Anji's post...

Maybe it is relevant to this research the OP is conducting. :dunno:

No, from an objective, measurable, scientific standard.

Some of us can't hear ourselves well, only hearing people know we are not speaking correctly and try to correct us with therapy.

From Anji's post...

Maybe it is relevant to this research the OP is conducting. :dunno:

ok, I didn't think about it carefully.

I'd love to see more research about the benefits of bilingualism (or multilingualism) for those who are Hoh or deaf. Also regarding the dichotomy of mulitlingualism being encouraged in the hearing world, yet discouraged for those who are hoh/deaf (in terms of visual language) /QUOTE]

Anij,
Thank you for that great idea! I also find this to be an interesting topic, and I plan to look into the possibilities of researching this in some way.

faire_jour,
Although the tests show that oral-only training for CI kids is very beneficial, the tests do not consider visual-language or bilingualism and are biased because of this fact. I believe that's what A meant.

I appreciate any ideas. You all have been a great help. Any MORE ideas would also be appreciated.

faire_jour,
Although the tests show that oral-only training for CI kids is very beneficial, the tests do not consider visual-language or bilingualism and are biased because of this fact. I believe that's what A meant.

Correct, they are only testing spoken language. But the idea that a child in an ASL enviroment ends up with the same fluency in spoken language as a child in a listening and spoken language setting has been proven untrue, wouldn't you agree?

Hello Everyone, :wave:
Throughout my school program (I'm studying to be an Audiologist) I have the opportunity to research various topics. I'm currently considering doing a research study on Deaf, hard-of-hearing, and/or Deaf culture.
If I could research any topic, what would you like to know? What would you like others to know? (About your hearing, your communication, et cetera.)
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I wpould personally like to see some research done on the outcomes of less than "ideal" CI candidate. Cochlear malformations, AN, things like that. Also, I totally get that earlier is better, and there is plenty of research to show that, but how do late implanted children (not adults) do with CI's?

Some of us can't hear ourselves well, only hearing people know we are not speaking correctly and try to correct us with therapy.

Why are you considering that if a person speaks to a hearing person and the hearing person has problems understanding then the speaker must be deaf?? There are plenty of hearing people who dont speak well!!!

this is about speech AND hearing.

I'm fully aware there are hearing people who don't speak correctly. My son is one of them. But that a different issue. (but on the other hand, SLP do tell hearing children to listen to how they speak)

Boy, that's so powerful. In my department (language and literacy education), bilingualism and multilingualism is strongly encouraged. After all, as lots of researchers have pointed out, having more than one language is the norm for most countries in the world, not the exception. But on the other hand, when language dominance comes into play (as it almost always does), then all sorts of other issues arise. One of my coworkers and university colleagues is from Brazil, and she told me that for many of the students there, especially in more rural/less affluent areas, studying English is a ticket to a better life. The students all know that mastering English can give them better educational and job opportunities, but because they feel like their own native language is devalued, they resist learning it. So it becomes this terrible double bind, and either way they feel they're giving something up.

I wonder why ASL isn't offered more as a second language in high schools and colleges, like Spanish and French are in North America (well, at least in my high school many years ago, there was only Spanish and French). Maybe perceptions could change if people (esp. hearing people) were exposed more to other ways of communicating. Does anybody know of mainstream hearing schools where ASL is offered as a second language?

Back