Remove the CI

Lynn_Jo_17

Reaction score
Hello folks,
The name's Cassie. I have a CI since I was 13 years old. I don't use it anymore because I lost my interesting in this. Anyway... I wonder if it is possible to remove my CI in my head... Do I have to go into surgery or something like this? Thanks for reading this.

Hello folks,
The name's Cassie. I have a CI since I was 13 years old. I don't use it anymore because I lost my interesting in this. Anyway... I wonder if it is possible to remove my CI in my head... Do I have to go into surgery or something like this? Thanks for reading this.

Yes it is a surgical procedure to remove the internal part of the CI.

I never thought of the CI as a focus of "Interest". It either works for you or it don't.

If you have a 13 year old CI and considering the surgery (rather then just not putting the sound processor on). And you're going into surgery anyway. I'd seriously look into an upgrade. I don't think the ones they made 13 years ago can be upgraded without additional surgery. Today they can.

Just put your processor away... problem solved :)

Just put your processor away... problem solved :)

Yea, I was wondering about that. That was what one of my former students did. She hated it so she stopped wearing the processor.

I thought about it further, and I think I can understand why she want to remove. It does feel kinda stuffy. I can't explain it though. But I can feel the difference between my unimplanted ear and my implanted ear.

I thought about it further, and I think I can understand why she want to remove. It does feel kinda stuffy. I can't explain it though. But I can feel the difference between my unimplanted ear and my implanted ear.

Really? Is it uncomfortable?

Er...unless you have a compelling medical reason to remove the CI, be prepared to pay up to remove it. Insurance won't cover that just because you want it out.

Hello folks,

Yes it is a surgical procedure to remove the internal part of the CI.

Like what Botti posted. Yes, surgical procedure.

curious, did you decide to receive a CI when you were 13 yrs old? Maybe in a few years later, you might be intersted in using a CI again? :dunno:

Yes, it can be surgically removed. My friend had it removed a few months and boy, is she happy than ever! Like you, she didn't really like having CI because she felt it was not associated with her Deaf life and such.

You need to find a way to cover the surgery and I can only suggest you to find a doctor who is beyond than just willing to remove your CI. Good luck in your decision!

I expereince remove implant because I was 20 yrs. I did remove my implant because can you do remove risk. doctor told me bite different taste, I am not sure remember doctor told me. I know risk that I experience. can you remove implant. I had bad headache because I told doctor. I tell you explain.

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:

Really? Is it uncomfortable?

No I actually like implanted side better because of no tinnitus at all, no sound coming in without processor at all and don't feel pressurized when storm coming or sudden change in air pressure like flying in plane or driving downhill etc like my unimplanted ear still feel it ouch and my unimplanted ear seem to get random shooting pain behind eardrum sometime and ear infection a lot this year ugh

Hello folks,
Thanks for leaving few comments. I rather not have a surgery to remove my CI in head because it is not worth to pay up and the insurance wont cover this. Have a nice day. :)

Well Cassie since you are now 20 years and have had an Implant since 13 and now "uninterested" does it follow that you will now use ASL only? Do you now consider your "previous" implant to have been a failure? How much discussion with the people that assisted you in the first place has taken place on your thinking re: implant failure?
Some thoughts that crossed my mind reading all the above comments after the process of considering my implant way back in 2007.
Implants have changed since you were 13.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony Atria-activated Aug/07

Back