Relay Privacy?

Presbyter

Reaction score
Relay Privacy?

I read that the relay employees are not allowed to share relay conversation with others or they will be fired. Most know that. During reading about it, it comes to my surprise that even the Police or the FBI can't access relay conversations from the relay services nor listen in.
My question is:
With all those legal restrictions applied to everyone, What privacy do a deaf person have at his/her workplace. Most companies screen their employees. How do the law apply to the companies that listen in on their employees relay calls via TDD or Internet?

Presbyter

Last edited:
They could monitor what you type and say on your computer or phone line.Not that they would but they can.There are programs out there that can capture what you type so they could review that or just remote into your computer and watch what you type.They could also remote into your computer and watch any video cam conv also.

Just know anytime you use a computer at work you give up your right to privacy.

The laws of relay privacy versus privacy on the job are totally different. On relay, you are protected just as anyone else using a non TTY telephone in that no one can divulge your calls unless there's a wiretap type of warrant to tap your phone- even then, we [relay operators etc] wouldn't be able to say what happened on a call, the cops would have to bug the phone themselves.

At work employees of all kinds basically have no right to privacy. That means that your emails and phone conversations, be they TTY or not, are all able to be surveyed because all tools of communication belong to the employer. The same relay companies who protect the callers' privacy can legally go through all of their employees personal email whenever they want, kind of ironic when you think about emails people make to Human Resources over confidential matters- no one should be able to access that information except the recipient but alas...

Its very simple, using company's network, meaning that the company "OWNS" the system and they reserve the right to investigate and check out for themselves, while on public network, like you'd normally call from your home to your friends, that is considered public, therefore who runs it? Of course, it is government, that is where they restrict the privacy.

This applies same thing with E mail, if you use your work e mail to send anyone, your company have every right to read every e mail that you sent out.

relay operators are not permitted to write down any information said or typed while on a call. with that said, it's not always the case that the employee does their job properly. if it is ur last day on the job, are u going to give it 110%? or are u going to screw things up. relay operators hate their jobs. and i mean HATE. the reason they do it is because of one word with 5 little letters... B I L L S. no one is giving them free money, so they have to work for a living in order to pay their rent/utilities/car note/credit cards/diapers, etc. there have been a few operators who write down info while on a call... social security more than others... and use that info for whatever it is they wrote it down for. as for the actual relay guidlines... detached and desensitized. no matter how pissed off an operator is at a deaf or speaking person they must remain calm and distant from teh call. now when things like why u hung my face qq or u are fuck or u want to try making the sex are said, well they just mute it, have a laugh and make a mental note. relay is supposed to be helpful to deaf people, but due to deafies bitching and moaning about not wanting to use user id's and passwords, nigerian scammers have taken over the system and now deafies must wait extended periods of time to make a call because the system is backed up with scammers calling everywhere that sells anything trying to use stolen id info. im done. relay is relay. use it or dont. u have sidekick with texter use it :whip:

Back