Receiving SS Benefits/Voc Rehab Services

howardwoodsjr

Reaction score
Does anyone know how Social Secuirty and Voc Rehab work with each other in the sense of helping disabled individuals receive assistance and benefits?

I was under the assumption that if you applied for Voc Rehab services that you had to be disabled under Social Security rules?

I understand it is the parents responsibility to obtain the answers needed for their child to recieve help when it is needed. However, some parents aren't informed that they when they take their child to Social Security that they have to inform them that they have a disabled child. The public school system does not inform the parent that they have options available to them.

If you have a disabled child, please notify Social Security immediately as they will not inform you that you can get benefits for your child.

It is terrible that Social Security is now paying illegal immigrants benefits when they don't make the effort to ensure that childhood disability benefits be paid out to the child when they have been diagnosed before the age of 18.

I know that alot of posts on here argue their points of disability and we all have our opinions of the matter. However, it does not take away the fact that we are still deaf and hard of hearing and have the right to be informed.

If we can be expected to pay taxes to the federal government and they can send notices to everyone that works that they need to file their taxes, then why can't they implement a plan that ensures that those that need help in anyway they can get it then they should be allowed to decide whether or not they want to file for those benefits that are rightfully entitled to them!

You do not have to be receiving Social Security Disability benefits to receive service from Voc Rehab. They are 2 separate entities. However, Voc Rehab will refer you to the SSA to make an application for benefits if you meet the criteria.

I agree that parents should be informed because hearing aids cost money, and the health insurance won't pay for hearing aids.

I thought that if the parents made too much money, that the child might not get SSI because the parents income is used towards determining whether or not the child with disability receives SSI income.

There has been some parents who are wealthy and still their children who has a disability significant enough to be eligible for SSI. There has been parents who are super wealthy and if their child who is what? 19 years old and is able to receive VR support for hearing aids and college training while their parents don't have to pay for anything.

I agree that parents should be informed because hearing aids cost money, and the health insurance won't pay for hearing aids.

I thought that if the parents made too much money, that the child might not get SSI because the parents income is used towards determining whether or not the child with disability receives SSI income.

It helps to determine not just elibility, but amount of benefit received. So, you are correct.

There has been some parents who are wealthy and still their children who has a disability significant enough to be eligible for SSI. There has been parents who are super wealthy and if their child who is what? 19 years old and is able to receive VR support for hearing aids and college training while their parents don't have to pay for anything.

It happens all the time. I know one VR counselor is bitching about that all time.:eek3: As a RCD counselor, I still don't understand why parents are avoiding paying college expenses for their own kids regardless how wealthy they are. It does not make sense really.

Believe it or not, ironically, I am Deaf and did not use VR to help me out with college expenses. :aw:

Back