Reason for San Francisco's gay community

netrox

Reaction score
Ever wondered why San Francisco has the highest population of gays? How did gays decide that SF is the one for gays?

The reason may surprise many people... it's the military!

During WWII, the military expelled gay men and the gays were processed at the SF base. The gays decided to stay there and since then, the population of gays grew.

How did San Francisco become so popular with gay people?

Very interesting link, Frisky. I had never considered why SF had such a large GLTB community, but that is a good explanation.:ty:

You know that song, " I left my heart in San Francisco? "

That was written by a guy to his male lover......

I am half surprised and half not surprised, I've known that the GLBT folks had been fought through the discrimination in San Francisco and remain stay there, it's like they are trying to take over San Francisco lol, like there's a transgenders riot in the history at San Francisco.

But I was surprised that it was a military situation :lol:

yea i love SF a lot. My bro in law used to live there and then transfered to LA due to better job. He still missed SF a lot. oh well

Ever wondered why San Francisco has the highest population of gays? How did gays decide that SF is the one for gays?

The reason may surprise many people... it's the military!

During WWII, the military expelled gay men and the gays were processed at the SF base. The gays decided to stay there and since then, the population of gays grew.

How did San Francisco become so popular with gay people?

Yes, I already knew the history behind this while I used to live in San Francisco for 3.5 years. I still do miss SF!! I love variety of delicious food!! DAMN.

Yes, I still have a "I left my heart in SF" keychain. It is a beautiful heart keychain. I gave my parents two half cups from SF (cost of living is expensive, so half cups represent a half cost). LOL Funny.

I hardly seen any same-sex couple in San Francisco. The most open-mind couple being in public I seen are in Seattle.

That's very interesting! Thanks for sharing that.

You know that song, " I left my heart in San Francisco? "

That was written by a guy to his male lover......

You know what's ironic - That song is one of my favorite song. Yep, Tony Bennett sang that song.

Anyway, It's interesting about how San Francisco's GBLT community has expanded after WWII. Thanks for the link. :)

Back