really need some help

rnmomma9

Reaction score
We continue to apply for medicaid benefits or SSI benefits for my daughters' hearing/deafness and are being rejected due to our income. My husband and I work full time jobs so we can pay all the medical bills, but, because we work our "income" is too high. What do you do??? We feel stuck in a loop hole, our doc co-pay is $200 a visit which is done a couple times a month, and her speech therapy is $75 a week. I'm left feeling very frustated trying to figure out what to do. Any advice is welcomed!

The way i did it when i was younger, 16 then, 37 now, was to apply for SSI. Once you have SSI medicaid is easy to get.

When i applied at 16 i was denied. I had to appeal the denial and take it to court with my lawyer (state appointed). The lawyers explained that it is standard practice to deny SSI the first application, but most cases get approved once you get a lawyer.

Keep in mind it takes a year and a half to go through the appeals process. Which made it close to 18 years old once i got approved. I think my age, approaching 18, was the main reason for approval. Although you will get a retroactive check for the length of time when you first applied for SSI. So it is worth the wait.

If your daughter is younger than 18 i don't think there is much you can do.

If you are both making lots of money then your child should be covered by your health care insurance. $200 seems like a lot but i know people who are paying 3x as much as that for their co-pays as well.

As far as I know, each state has different rules related to SS...so your state must have a maximum household income limit.

If you are paying $200 co-pay for a regular doctor visit, you are most likely being ripped off, as most doctors only charge $90-$130 per visit. You can ask your doctor to forego the insurance and pay out of your pocket, they usually give you a more reasonable rate.

I will ask about switching to a self pay set up....didn't think about that but your very right many offices provide discounts. Thanks! At least one option to try out.

I'm sure people are also paying higher co-pays but its just been a strain on us. I have 2 daughters both born with some congenital disorder so medical bills have just gotten to best of me lately.

Back