Real time (character by character) chat software

ccouey

Reaction score
Hi,

We have a deaf person on our staff, and need to communicate in real time via the keyboard/screen between two computers. We need the text to be displayed on the screen as it's typed on each system. I believe ICQ will do this, but we need to stay on our local internal network (no ICQ servers). Does anyone know of any programs which can do this? Thanks.

Chip

You might be better off using some form of TTY and calling between the two locations in-office. I'm not aware of any kind of program that encourages real time transmission via the internet - there are programs that use the phone line and transmit ASCII characters one at a time when typed, like Terminal, but nothing that I'm aware of for over the internet.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have been more specific. Most of us currently communicate with this individual (in person) by typing in a text window of any available program on his computer.

The actual request for the "real-time chat" is for one-on-one performance reviews with the manager. They will both be in his office, each with a PC, chatting in real-time. No Internet, just the local network (thus no ICQ server). Any ideas? Thanks,

Chip

Dennis said:
You might be better off using some form of TTY and calling between the two locations in-office. I'm not aware of any kind of program that encourages real time transmission via the internet - there are programs that use the phone line and transmit ASCII characters one at a time when typed, like Terminal, but nothing that I'm aware of for over the internet.

First, I applaud your efforts to find a reasonable accomodation for your colleague, including logging into AllDeaf.com.

Second, You (if appropriate), the manager, or an HR rep needs to discuss what accomodation the employee prefers. Everyone is different - I suspect this has already begun and everyone is researching.

You didn't mention if this person was a sign language user or not. If yes, then it would be in everyone's best interest to hire an interpreter for the meeting. In many cases, a sign language user can express themselves through an interpreter in their own language much more effectively than in written (and often abreviated) English. This is important, especially during a performance review!

If you're still having trouble finding an acceptable mode of communication, check with your state department of human services. They may have a deaf services branch that can help.
http://www.hhs.gov/od/statepartners.html

Alternatively, contact Communication Services for the Deaf (CSD) http://www.c-s-d.org. They should be able to identify various modes or technologies.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Skypetelex

I have recently published the Beta version of a small freeware program called SkypeTelex. The program interfaces to Skype. So it is not restricted to internal networks. It provides one-to-one, character-by-character communication.
Please visit www.skypetelex.com where the program can be downloaded.

Back