Rate my not finished article please

joshy2328

Reaction score
There are overwhelming issues that many Deaf people share in New Zealand. Such issues were raised when five individuals share their experiences at “Deaf Life Panel.” These people were Deaf and all had something to say about family and how tough and disappointing it was to have family members, especially parents that could not communicate with you effectively.

The issue I will hope to share is how Deaf children find it hard emotionally when all family members are hearing and how “communication break down” is at its peak and is the cause of, what I like to call “Family Dispersion.” Also, I will try to convey the importance of NZSL in the home environment.

Truth

To start with, I will introduce a woman who is Deaf (for privacy reasons, we will call her Helen). Like many Deaf people, Helen had hearing parents and siblings. She was sent to boarding school for Deaf children at a young age and spent most of her childhood years there. At the age of 16, she left school and started work. Helen had various jobs in New Zealand but later decided to move to America. She was still pretty young at this age. Helen spent eight years in America and so three children later, she decided to move back to New Zealand.

So as you can see, family is rarely mentioned and there is a distinct separation between Helen and her family.

The issues of language, communication, and "family dispersion" are similar all over the world when it comes to deaf children of hearing parents. It looks as if you have a good grasp of exactly what those issues are, and the importance of the parents adapting to the child's communicaiton needs to prevent not only language delays, but social and emotional implications, as well.

thanks, I was wondering if i had hit an issue that is relavent to my assesment criteria.

Back