Rant: I don't get it.

Having read this thread, there seems to be a lot of American input here (and there is nothing wrong with that). So hello to all from the other side of the pond. :wave:

I don't get it either OP. I live on a council estate here in Sheffield, England. There isn't a lot of spare cash to be had on this estate but you would be surprised (indeed shocked) that youngsters on here wear the latest "designer" fashions....you know the ones that readily indicate the wearer comes from a council estate!!!!!! Parents on here will pay top prices for top brand (you know the one) trainers but they can't afford decent food or to pay the bills. Many are in debt - from money lenders who charge high interest, and lend more to spoil their children. WHY? because there is a crazy notion that if you don't buy your schoolkids the best in trainers etc they will be bullied in school. This is more than peer pressure. It is multi-national branding organisation pressure. Coupled with the fact that the trainers are advertised by our sporting heros (well they are to the kids concerned). Its tragic that this happens....and that those who cannot afford are the biggest victims....Why can't we all just stop buying these overpriced products and get back to the real values of parenting.

Actually, that's quite true. I remember being made fun of back in grade school for not wearing a pair of Nike shoes or that I didn't wear enough branded clothings.

Who cares about the brands? At long I'm not naked, I'm going to be okay. :-D

Actually, that's quite true. I remember being made fun of back in grade school for not wearing a pair of Nike shoes or that I didn't wear enough branded clothings.

Who cares about the brands? At long I'm not naked, I'm going to be okay. :-D

Ah, so the brand I did not mention holds kids to ransom in Canada too? As I suspect it does all over the world. You are right WHO cares about brands. I think individually most of us don't, its a collective thing....I wear clothes simply so I don't get arrested!!!! I don't choose to wear brands but then again I am a complete rebel. But children aren't - they follow the herd - and the multi-nationals profit big style from this. So this buying the latest this and that because it is trendy as OP says is not always the purchaser's fault....it only takes one parent to say NO, and another and another........

Julado -

ALL British school kids wear all same identity school uniforms as other peers to be fair - no picky/bully on them, it is only designer school bag as it is. I am surprised to know they wear a trendy trainers for school, as it is not allow to wear all day except for the sports only.

My children have no choice but wearing same identity school uniforms, and flat black shoes, only designer school satchel and their own mobile cellular phones.

Opal, all British schoolkids are SUPPOSED to wear a uniform.....and I use the word uniform loosely...but from what I see they don't.

The children from fee paying, or posher state schools do and some of them look good but I live on a tatty run down council estate (there are many here in Sheffield) and the schooling isn't what it could be and the uniforms are less than desireable. Some schools ban trainers because of the peer pressure and bullying things but some don't.

I was a schoolgirl in the 1960's (left in 1972) during the formative years uniforms were strict and starched and itchy!!!!! By the time I left I was dressed like a glam rocker (dare I admit this on an open thread????) so I suppose it isn't that much different today.

What is, is that parents with little or no money feel compelled to buy expensive trainers because their kids may get bullied. Some even get "jacked" for them (strange modern language meaning the trainers are stolen from their feet at school!!!). That's the bit I don't get. :)

Teachers should give kids detention if they fails to give a reasonable excuse for not wearing a proper school uniforms, and what's wrong with Second Hand School uniforms in their school uniform shop for low earners parents/guardians.

Kids will always find another way to "bully" other kids even if they all wear uniform.

I just think the problem isn't whether you got many items or money. It's all about value.

You can meet a really rich boy and he turns out to be the most sweetest person who know that his family come first and not his allowance, while the poor boy think that items are important and not his family. So it doesn't really matter what you have, it's how you treat the life as itself that matters.

Values are being lost in today's society. I am not talking about religions but the idea of what matters to you the most, what's right and wrong.

Kids will always find another way to "bully" other kids even if they all wear uniform.

I just think the problem isn't whether you got many items or money. It's all about value.

You can meet a really rich boy and he turns out to be the most sweetest person who know that his family come first and not his allowance, while the poor boy think that items are important and not his family. So it doesn't really matter what you have, it's how you treat the life as itself that matters.

Values are being lost in today's society. I am not talking about religions but the idea of what matters to you the most, what's right and wrong.

Yup, I got agree with you.

Julado -

ALL British school kids wear all same identity school uniforms as other peers to be fair - no picky/bully on them, it is only designer school bag as it is. I am surprised to know they wear a trendy trainers for school, as it is not allow to wear all day except for the sports only.

My children have no choice but wearing same identity school uniforms, and flat black shoes, only designer school satchel and their own mobile cellular phones.

In USA, all public school with uniform policy will not solve the bully, behavior or attitude issue, also I had some experience about uniform at my middle school.

When at middle school, I was wear uniform for 3 years at middle school, from 1999 to 2002. Some students are make fun of me and some fought with me then I don't see difference about repulation on uniform policy and dress code. The uniform policy has approved in 1994 at LAUSD, also allow school to make decision to adopt it except for all high school, also all high school have dress code and banned to adopt new uniform policy. Only allow to adopt uniform policy are elementary school and middle school, also only 20% of elementary school are uniform policy adopted and around 30% for middle school but percent has been decreased due bad repluation on uniform policy then some schools are abandoned the uniform policy and brought regular dress code back.

If elementary and middle school are uniform policy adopted then students don't have to wear that if not support from their parent or students who dislike, that make students to have choice if want wear or not then there's no punishment for students.

I'm support on dress code for public school but STRONGLY against on uniform policy.

Thankfully, USA is different from UK and Australia.

The cell phones at school are banned in some states, must left in locker, backpack or purse and must be turn off or silent, also some does allow to use for lunch and nutrient.

Back