Questions

FaeryNuff

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I just found out recently about ear hooks and such, and I've been reading the forums and it seems like a lot of you are using them with your mp3 players fairly well. I *can* use regular headphones, but I have to hold them in position for my BTE, and then if they move you have the scratchy sound on the microphone.

I ordered an ear hook from a place called Tec Ear. I don't know what I was thinking since it works with the t coil and I haven't been able to use that for years.. its my hearing not the aid. Anyway I sent them an email and explained that I couldn't use it and why so they sent me something else. Lo and behold this seems to work with the t coil also and I'm really getting frustrated. My question to this community is this: Is there an ear hook type device that will fit on my ear like these things do, but NOT require me to use the T coil? I thought I explained myself sufficiently in the email so I was surprised when they sent me something of the same type.

I'm going to send this back and just ask for a refund.. but I hope there's something out there I can use

have you tried bigger headphones, in which the ear pieces completely cover your ears? I don't use headphones as it results in my hearing aid feedbacking, so I use telecoil and Hatis Epic earhook. I don't know of any ear hook devices that doesn't require the use of telecoil.

I can't use those either because of the feedback.. the only way I can use any of them is to hold them over the microphone. Thats why I was hoping for the ear hook kind if they exist :(

oh yeah. there's the FM method. I don't know what hearing aid you have, but you can order an FM receiver and shoe for the hearing aid, and a transmitter of some sort. Plug the transmitter into the ipod or whatever, put the FM receiver/show onto your hearing aid, turn to FM setting and voila! That's a good way. I've used this method for years.

I've tried using the FM shoe (without the FM), and connecting it to my MP3 player once... eh I didn't get a good result. That was with the old shoe for the old hearing aid though. Hm.

I can't believe I've gone all these years and didn't know all the new things were available. I guess if push comes to shove I can always just use speakers with the mp3 player.

What are you problems with T-coil? Can you just not use a phone? I can't use a phone either but I can still use the ear hook devices.

When I was young I used to be able to use the T-coil but over the years my hearing jsut got worse and I wasn't able to use it. I know its not the hearing aid because its been this way for the last 3 aids I had. I have a profound loss, but I can hear most things if it gets jacked up enough.. problem is once you get things that loud it ends up being distorted most times.

Oh ok, um don't think there's much you can do about it, except get new most powerful hearing aid with telecoil and try it out.
I'm wondering what's your feeling about CI? They're great for profound loss that have difficulity with hearing aid. Plus side they have tiny usb-like hole to plug in from ipod, FM, TV, computer, lapel microphone its for when you ride in car and can't hear other people talking so other person hold that mic and talk into it you'll hear it clear as bell, and also its good for party but it makes me feel kinda like a reporter tho :giggle:

Oh ok, um don't think there's much you can do about it, except get new most powerful hearing aid with telecoil and try it out.
I'm wondering what's your feeling about CI? They're great for profound loss that have difficulity with hearing aid. Plus side they have tiny usb-like hole to plug in from ipod, FM, TV, computer, lapel microphone its for when you ride in car and can't hear other people talking so other person hold that mic and talk into it you'll hear it clear as bell, and also its good for party but it makes me feel kinda like a reporter tho :giggle:

I'm not really a candidate for CI. I do fairly well with just the hearing aid, but I guess its time for a new one. The loss is profound, but I have no idea how to explain it. Everyone's loss is different.. Some can hear low frequencies but not high and vice versa. I can hear the tv most times but I don't understand whats being said, so captioning helps there. As for the headphones.. I'll check with an audiologist to see what they think will work best. Its about time for a check anyway. Maybe after that I can use proper terminology when discussing my loss and you guys will be able to understand me :P

Thanks for all the help!

oh yeah. there's the FM method. I don't know what hearing aid you have, but you can order an FM receiver and shoe for the hearing aid, and a transmitter of some sort. Plug the transmitter into the ipod or whatever, put the FM receiver/show onto your hearing aid, turn to FM setting and voila! That's a good way. I've used this method for years.

Could you elaborate? This sounds interesting and I would love to try this but I don't quite understand. What's the "shoe" part of this? And a "transmitter of some sort" ? And where would I order something like this? Thanks !! :)

Could you elaborate? This sounds interesting and I would love to try this but I don't quite understand. What's the "shoe" part of this? And a "transmitter of some sort" ? And where would I order something like this? Thanks !! :)

A "shoe" is a adapter for the hearing aid in which a FM receiver is attached, The third part is the transmitter in which a microphone and the like is attached. An FM signal is generated to transmit to the receiver that is attached to the "shoe"

Back