Questions for those who wear hearing aids?

low58

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently taking an introductory class on hearing aids and one of my assignments is to get the opinion of those who wear hearing aids on several questions. Would anyone care to answer the follow questions? :wave:

1. How long have you worn your hearing aids?
2. For how long before you got your hearing aids did you suspect you had a hearing loss?
3. How long do you wear your hearing aids each day?
4. Do you feel like you get benefit from your hearing aids?
5. What complaints do you have about your hearing aids?
6. Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do?
7. Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer?

1.I wore them since I was 6 months old
2.my parents noticed I wasn't responding to my name being called
3.I wear them on a daily basis
4.yes I do benefit from them but I'm going for the ultra powered hearing aid this year LOL
5.for me, the current ones I have now doesn't have a volume control
6.yep!
7.both but I got mine from a dispenser :D

1. Have worn hearing aids for nearly 30 years. I am 60 years old.
2. Suspected I had some hearing loss for a year or two before I got my aids. Hearing was made worse by taking anti-malaria pills while living in Africa.
3. I wear my aids all day long.
4. Yes, they benefit me a great deal. Could not function without them.
5. Complaints: I hate the automatic switching they do. It makes it impossible to enjoy listening to the radio in the car, as they interpret the radio as "noise" and mute the sound. My aids have 4 programs: normal (which automatically switches), voice in noise, music, and comfort in noise. None of these programs works very well in the car.
6. Lived up to what audiologist said: In some respects, yes, but the automatic switching is annoying.
7. Bought from audiologist.

3 years

2. For how long before you got your hearing aids did you suspect you had a hearing loss?
Only a few weeks

From the time I wake up till I go to sleep unless Im annoyed with the world then I leave them out.. lol

If I didnt I wouldnt wear them

Color could be better, I hate the beige color.. Id love for them to be waterproof other than that no issues I guess.

6. Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do?

Yes, I especially like that ive been able to use the phone with them
Audiologist

1. Almost 40 years
2. My parents noticed when I was very young
3. All day, every day
4. Definitely benefit, in fact I depend on them and am lost without them
5. I wish NHS in Britain would offer coloured ones to adults, they could be waterproof, feedback is often a problem, sometimes my ear canals itch like crazy when I take them out.
6. Yes, pretty much
7. An NHS audiologist

Since I was an infant.

I was born with the hearing loss.

It varies. Sometime I take a break from wearing it at home.

Well, I have a profound loss to begin with. However, yes, I still get more benefit from wearing it than I do when not wearing it.

I could do without the feedback and whistling. And perhaps maybe it'll also help if they make molds that would last longer and so forth.

Yes

Sometime I do. Or sometime I get them from a Speech & Hearing center.

Doing this on behalf of my son. :) I can hear, but he is deaf.
1. Since he was about 5 months old.
2. Suspected hearing loss at about 2-3 months but was diagnosed at 5 months. (Issues with Medicaid. Ugh.)
3. All day except during the obvious times like bath time and while he's asleep.
4. He has some stimulation, but it is very difficult to see how much he benefits.
5. They irritate his ears when i put in his HA. (Any suggestions?)
6. Yes, they have. Our audiologist told us the aids mind not help too much to begin with but stimulation was necessary.
7. Audiologist :)

ya.. I suspected a hearing aid in me while I was working in office but very doon I refered this:

worldflightforhearing.com

5. They irritate his ears when i put in his HA. (Any suggestions?)

Hi! I myself have very sensitive skin, and I know that babies do too. If he has colored moulds, it could be a reaction to the coloring agent. I get hypoallergenic moulds, which keep me from having an allergic reaction to the material they are made from. If you think that that is a possibility, I'd check into that! Also, they make a special lubricant for putting in hearing aids called otoease and other such brands, which may help, and if maybe it's a sealing/rubbing problem, I would try otofirm, which is like polydent for your ears, lol. I've had a lot of trouble in this field myself, so I have a ton of suggestions. Ha ha. Feel free to PM me or anything.

Since I was 3 and half years old

Probably right after my parents found out I was deaf

Pretty much all day (except if I am in a ASL environment 24/7 then I just take them off)

Yes it does, it helps me hear things around me, noises, some short basic converstations, and of course music

That sometimes it picks up too much noise and it gets overwhelming and the molds create a lot of wax in my ears. Sometimes when I listen to music I use the headphones it's only the cushion ones and I have to fold the tops of my ears to get the sound in the microphone. Ear buds and the t-coil doesn't do me any good at all.

6. Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do? Pretty much. These hearing aids are digital much more powerful than the dialog hearing aids I use to wear before. I could try out other hearing aids to help me hear better in speech but I am sooooo comfortable with this brand it's much better. Switching to a new hearing aid brand to me is extremingly difficult.

Once I was trying out a different brand and it was very odd. I could hear speech clearly when the person was on the other side of the room but they sounded like they were underwater when they are right next to me! Then I noticed I heard running water wooshing down the drain of a sink nearby (in art room) what???! I don"t need to know where the water is going!!

7. Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer? From an audiologist.

Back