Questions for the Deaf Community

led39

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I'm a first year grad student at Texas State University studying Therapeutic Recreation. I'm writing a research paper on individuals with Hearing Impairments and people who are Deaf. Below I have included the questions that I have. If you can answer them that would be appreciated, but if you don't feel comfortable that is okay too. I do not mean to offend anyone with my questions, but if I do in anyways please let me know how to better state my wording. I want to know more about people who are Deaf and its community/culture.

How was your childhood?
Where you allowed to pay with others, Deaf and hearing?
Do/Did your parents support you in your personal choices?
Did they encourage you to join sports and clubs?
What made you choose volleyball?
What are some challenges do you face on a daily basis?
How do you communicate with others?
What do you do for a living?
What are some ways that make communicating with you easier for a hearing person?
What are some key characteristics to having a hearing impairment?
Would you recommend to others with hearing impairments to be active and be involved in the community/leisure activities?
Is it offensive to the hearing impairment population to say Deafness or to say they are Deaf?
How do children learn sign language if they are born deaf?
Is there a way to eventually teach a child to talk if they are hearing impaired?
Do most hearing impaired people lip read or have a hearing aid?
What are some recreational activities that help overcome the barriers of hearing loss?
Does not being able to hear affect other parts of your body and the way you do things?
What are some leisure implications to come with being hearing impaired?
What are some of the ways to break the barrier in helping the individual become the most he can be on the team?

Thank you so much! You can also email me at led39@txstate.edu if you would like.

How was your childhood?
Terrific!
I was required to pay, either Deaf or hearing if I purchased something.
My parents believe the world revolves around me.
I was forced to join the girl scouts.
Volleyball? I wonder how you knew my sport of choice?? I liked the aggressive nature of the spike...
Fear of being run over in my power chair.

With a superb command of written English.
Retired due to health.
What are some ways that make communicating with you easier for a hearing person?
A quick wit helps a hearing person if they wish to communicate with me.
What are
some key characteristics to having a hearing impairment?
The ability to instantly judge character.

Would you recommend to others with hearing impairments to be active and be involved in the community/leisure activities?
Yes
Is it offensive to the hearing impairment population to say Deafness or to say they are Deaf?
No, it is offensive to the Deaf to call them hearing impaired.
Many deaf children learn sign language by seeing the signs repeated and related to common objects. Somewhat like hearing children learn spoken language... :crazy:
Is there a way to eventually teach a child to talk if they are hearing impaired?
Speech therapy is fairly well established as a method of teaching speech.
It varies...
What are some recreational activities that help overcome the barriers of hearing loss?
Shooting
Does not being able to hear affect other parts of your body and the way you do things?
Yes. Due to not using any head space for auditory processing, the brain is much more developed.
Naps and the reading of a good book, much easier to accomplish with no loud distractions.
What are some of the ways to break the barrier in helping the individual become the most he can be on the team?
Let's do pure Deaf teams!!

How was your childhood?

It was a pretty normal childhood.

No I couldn't pay anyone. If you mean play, I didn't know any D/deaf or HOH people when I was younger

Yes as long as it was within reason, right down to my purple hair

yes choir and softball in middle school

Volleyball? I said softball lol. I knew the rules well enough and it was wasy for me to be integrated

Besides hearing, the joys of being a mom.

Talking, writing, typing/texting, limited phone use, and learning ASL

I'm a mom/home health aid

Looking at me, no yelling and patience, repitition

not being able to hear well

Yes

D/deaf is not offensive. Hearing impaired doesn't bother me but prefer HOH or hard of hearing

observation and repitition

Yep speech therapy

It depends on the person, I can lip read a little but not very well. I also use hearing aids but not everyone will.

Not sure I understand this question

As my hearing declines I do notice vibration more like I can tell if the dryer in the basement is done by standing on the powder room floor above the laundry room.

None

It depends on the person and the activity

Wirelessly posted

@ Botts - I like the response 'Shooting'. Witty! Wonder whether or not led39 got it....hmm.

Yes. Due to not using any head space for auditory processing, the brain is much more developed.

I don't like being mean to the OP, but this is sooooooo funny!!!!!:laugh2:

Hi, everyone! I'm a first year grad student at Texas State University studying Therapeutic Recreation. I'm writing a research paper on individuals with Hearing Impairments and people who are Deaf. Below I have included the questions that I have. If you can answer them that would be appreciated, but if you don't feel comfortable that is okay too. I do not mean to offend anyone with my questions, but if I do in anyways please let me know how to better state my wording. I want to know more about people who are Deaf and its community/culture.

How was your childhood?

Thank you so much! You can also email me at led39@txstate.edu if you would like.

There are too many questions. Also those questions are nonsense and not important. This is none of your business as it is too personal or not make any sense of what you are implying to. Just look over all the posts here that we typed about many of our deafness and our Deaf Culture threads on the forum.. You have to study about us. You will get an idea about what we do in our private life.

It would appear the original question only relates to those born DEAF. How and what they /their parents did to deal with the condition of "silence" as they "grew up".

How was your childhood?

As a kid, I wrote notes to my family's cat thinking that the cat would read.

Yes, I had to pay to get in to watch Blackhawks win over Edmonton Oilers playing without Wayne Gretzky.

Yes, of course :)

Yes

Arguing on which vehicles should be turbocharged and which belongs in junk yard.

Oh, Android, here you come ")

Of course, yes!!!

Oh, kids are curious.

People wants to know how a person can enjoy the VROOOM feeling of turbo engine without being able to hear it hummmm.

Thank you so much! You can also email me at led39@txstate.edu if you would like.[/QUOTE]

How was your childhood?
literal paradise overseas, different culture there, in the U.S not so much
you obviously mean "play", of course...
depending on what they were for the most part yes
this is a resounding yes
I never said which sport now did I?
hm, dealing with ignorant hearies at work and off the job-it never stops
I speak
ha, too embarrassed to share
What are some ways that make communicating with you easier for a hearing person? simple, don't bother communicating with me. if I want to talk to you I will.
this should be a no brainer...:roll:
sure why not?:laugh2:
no, no no...and the word hearing impaired is OFFENSIVE to be honest.
how did I learn to read lips without being taught? if there is a measure of intelligence in you will not have to ask such a question
yes
depends on who you ask
there are no barriers...:cool2:
hm, maybe when it comes to having a sixth sense-i.e somewhat psychic, but a direct answer is NO
leisure? you mean legal obviously... google is your best friend-use it.
team? who cares about being a sheep? I don't

Back