Questions about Preg and Birth for All Deaf women...

JB7183

Reaction score
Would you want some one to be there for you, besides a partner or family member to support you and help you through childbirth? To make it as painless as possible and a good experience?

Would you like someone to answer your questions about pregnancy and birth in sign language so you would not need an interpreter?

Would you want to have 1 interpreter for all of your prenatal appointments AND the birth of your child?

What if you could have an interpreter who is a certified labor assistant or "doula" who could support you during birth as well as interpret for the birth and all of your prenatal appointments. Someone who could answer all of your questions about pregnancy and birth in sign language and give you tons of resources to help you make informed choices about the delivery of your child. Would you pay for these services?? If so, how much do you think is a reasonable price for these services??

I am that person, I would like to start a doula/labor assistant practice in which I could support Deaf women. I would just like some feedback about what you would want in this person and how much you would pay for these services.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions!!

Why should I need an interpeter to deliver my 2 babies? :eek: I have my husband to support me...

It´s not necassary to have an interpreter for birth... Why? :shock: Interpreter support deaf mothers for birth is not known in Europe. We can do it ourselves ... simple is push push push then baby there... We have no time to listen interpreter but worry about pain...

Why?

LOL Good point!

I meant for a hospital birth. Obviously home births are a different situation.

The kind of support I am talking about is relaxation texhniques and ways that will make it less painful.

JB7183 said:
Would you want some one to be there for you, besides a partner or family member to support you and help you through childbirth? To make it as painless as possible and a good experience?

Would you like someone to answer your questions about pregnancy and birth in sign language so you would not need an interpreter?

Would you want to have 1 interpreter for all of your prenatal appointments AND the birth of your child?

What if you could have an interpreter who is a certified labor assistant or "doula" who could support you during birth as well as interpret for the birth and all of your prenatal appointments. Someone who could answer all of your questions about pregnancy and birth in sign language and give you tons of resources to help you make informed choices about the delivery of your child. Would you pay for these services?? If so, how much do you think is a reasonable price for these services??

I am that person, I would like to start a doula/labor assistant practice in which I could support Deaf women. I would just like some feedback about what you would want in this person and how much you would pay for these services.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions!!

i am interested in becoming a doula too not just for deaf women but for all women too :thumb:
so i am getting info about that... such as if more college education is needed, etc. :)

I recently met a Deaf woman who works in the field of childbirth at a local hosptial of Sharp. I perked up when I found out her occupation-- "Aha! I definitely need to apply at that hospital for my chidl to be born!" but it was shredded as I found out she is planning on moving to Denver or somewhere in Colorado.

Coloradians-- LOOK OUT FOR A DEAF CHILDBIRTH NURSE! She is not a Doula-- She is D-E-A-F and she works daily to help giving birth to babies (She said she personally delivered five babies when the women cannot make it to the "operating room") so I doubt she will have time to interpret all prenatal appointments.

I wouldn't mind having a Doula for my birth-- not prenatal appts. I would prefer an interpreter-- so Doula can be more useful for somebody else who is GIVING birth.

I know giving birth isn't too hard and fairly predictable. Don't take me wrong. I was THERE all the way, and that is how I have my 4 yrs old son. I'd rather have an interpreter around JUST IN CASE even if the birthing process seems simple, but complication CAN happen. Suppose emergency casearan is required and I had no clue and it would be very confusing if terp is NOT there to relay all the important information, and mistakes can happen. I do not want to have the chance of run into complication and find myself without an interpreter to understand what the complication would be. So having terp around is pretty much like insurance for me.

Whenever the complication occurs, doctor would ask you permission to do something, but if you don't have an interpreter and you wouldn't be able to make decision for your own child? Often timing is critical, and paper n pen can be confusing and time consuming... Thats scary!

I prefer to have an interpreter with me during labor, which I had the same interpreter I knew from HS....She was there for all my three children....My ex husband was too busy smoking a cig outside....

I have not get an interpreter in hopsital for birthing 3 babies..

G'thing my hubby is hard of hearing and can interpret me.. and also one nurse can sign langauges who knew me well..
Lucky goes well..

Some of my friend who prefer bring an interpreter what their prefer choice trust with...

Well actually, my first preg. I have a good friend who interpeter for me, good thing i had her cuz i had unexpect c-section.

But second preg, will be my boyfriend, hes hard of hearing, will interpeter for me, would be good and my supports....

However, if there is no interpreter available, my husband can interpreter for me. He is Deaf but he can pass off as a hearie if he has his aids on.

I doubt I will let my mom or MIL or anybody else in the room. I don't need their nagging personalities to ruin my birth! I lov' them but NO WAY IN HELL my family will interpret for me. They would say, "Oh dont worry, just push and I will tell you what the dr said..."

diehardbiker65 said:
I know giving birth isn't too hard and fairly predictable. Don't take me wrong. I was THERE all the way, and that is how I have my 4 yrs old son. I'd rather have an interpreter around JUST IN CASE even if the birthing process seems simple, but complication CAN happen. Suppose emergency casearan is required and I had no clue and it would be very confusing if terp is NOT there to relay all the important information, and mistakes can happen. I do not want to have the chance of run into complication and find myself without an interpreter to understand what the complication would be. So having terp around is pretty much like insurance for me.

Whenever the complication occurs, doctor would ask you permission to do something, but if you don't have an interpreter and you wouldn't be able to make decision for your own child? Often timing is critical, and paper n pen can be confusing and time consuming... Thats scary!

If the complication occurs after birth then order interpreter. Gyn. will tell me it's something wrong with my baby then order interpreter.

Birth to babies belong private between me and my hubby, not anyone. If a husband don't like to see blood then find somebody his wife can trust is mother, mother in law or best friend.

Of course I told my friends and interpreters about this after learn about this at other forum for a first time in my life last year. They were like :jaw: and said it's family private. Interpreters said why should they there to watch and interprete us because it's very very very simple. Maidwives and Doctors can tell me... "Slow", "come on"... "baby's head is there"... in their body gesture.

I have 2 babies without interpreter's help. Why should I need them when I know my babies are okay.

GalaxyAngel said:
I have not get an interpreter in hopsital for birthing 3 babies..

G'thing my hubby is hard of hearing and can interpret me.. and also one nurse can sign langauges who knew me well..
Lucky goes well..

Some of my friend who prefer bring an interpreter what their prefer choice trust with...

yeah, this is every parent's decision either they want to have interpreters to be there with them or not.

I had same interp for both of my sons delievery. I had an emergency situation with my oldest son and the interp could explain what is going on so she was real helpful in that emergency situation so i requested her again for my 2nd. had no problems. of course my hubby was w me the whole time.

diehardbiker65 said:

That was the whole point of this post. I am an interpreter AND a support person, who knows a lot about birth, so I could be helpful. I was wondering if you would want someone who can do both???

interesting..i didnt have terp with me.. my bf, mom, and 2 aunts were there with me :D
and if im planning to have other kid, i would want my sister to be there for me, because i was there for her when she gave a birth to her son :D

if u wonder why, i let my two aunts, bec they wanted to see birth, so i intived them... at first i felt uncomfortable.. then they were comforting me and all, so i let them stay thru the birthing..

Back