Questions about Music with Cochlear Implants

Gonnabeadoctor

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am working on a project involving music perception in cochlear implants, and I was wondering if you could take a moment to answer some questions. These are for CI users only. And for the record, I am not a CI user myself.

(1) In general, how much enjoyment do you get from listening to music through your CI?
A- None
B- Some
C- I love listening to music

(2) What is your favorite type of music to listen to through your CI?

(3) What is your favorite piece of music or song to listen to through your CI?

(4) What instrument sounds clearest to you?

(5) What instrument sounds worst to you?

(6) What is the maximum number of instruments you can hear at once before the music becomes too crowded and unenjoyable?

(7) Do you prefer music that is loud or soft?

(8) Do you prefer music that repeats itself, or music that changes a lot?

(9) Think of your favorite piece of music or song to listen to through your CI. What do you think helps you hear it clearly?

(10) Any other thoughts you may have about listening to music through your CI, what helps, what doesn't help, etc.

Thank you all so very much! And if you would like your answers to remain private, you can send me an e-Mail. Thanks again.

I suggest you collect some additional information, such as:

1) How many implants do you have?
2) How long have you had your implant?
3) Are you pre-or post-linguistically deafened?
4) What age were you when you became deaf, what was your level of hearing loss, etc.
5) Do you feel your implant is "successful" in helping you hear?

I suggest requesting this information because a person who has had their implant(s) for a month is likely going to definitely have a significantly different answer than someone who has been successfully using one for a year. Without this type of info you won't have any way to know what your data means.

Btw, my son would say that his favorite music is "The Wiggles", and he most definitely loves it - loud.

here's my answers in BOLD

(1) In general, how much enjoyment do you get from listening to music through your CI?
A- None
B- Some

C - LOVE LISTENING TO MUSIC! I have over 2500 songs on my iTunes!

The same as always, mostly Country and Pop. However, I have found that I'm enjoying OTHER types because I can hear better, such as rock, faster Pop music, and heck, even Opera!
The same as always, "Fancy" by Reba. I am liking a lot of the songs more because I can pick up the vocals better such as "Every Rose Has Its Thorn", "Alone" (Heart), etc.
Drums...that's kind of given.

Nothing sounds "worst", but the clarity is a bit confusing, so that would be piano - since there's different types of piano (organ, electric, Grand, etc), and strings. I can hear it, but I cannot tell you exactly WHAT instrument is being played unless if it's really obvious.

(6) What is the maximum number of instruments you can hear at once before the music becomes too crowded and unenjoyable? No such thing for me. :)

(7) Do you prefer music that is loud or soft?Depends. If they're my favorite songs, I tend to put it on loud and start belting it out along with the singer. Rock/rap/dance music at LOUD levels do hurt my ears. I do enjoy soft music if I need to relax

(8) Do you prefer music that repeats itself, or music that changes a lot?Sometimes if a song repeats itself, it's annoying. If you're talking about the instruments, I'm used to that because that's how it is for most country music songs. Other than that, it doesn't bother me.

(9) Think of your favorite piece of music or song to listen to through your CI. What do you think helps you hear it clearly? Hmm. For "Fancy", I can pcik up Reba's accent a LOT better than when I had my hearing aids. I can hear the lyrics much more clearer. This is a VERY fast song, so it took me quite a while to really know the lyrics by heart.

(10) Any other thoughts you may have about listening to music through your CI, what helps, what doesn't help, etc. Because I'm bilateral, it helps me tremendously to hear through BOTH ears instead of just one. All I can say is that I found myself enjoying music again. Music was the primary reason why I wanted the CI because I remember hearing music clearly. What I was really surprised is how much clearer it is with the CI.

Thank you all so very much! And if you would like your answers to remain private, you can send me an e-Mail. Thanks again.

Here's my answers to Drew's Dad's post - He's right...you need to have the other info. Some people with CI have only listened to music AFTER they were implanted, so they cannot "compare" with what they used to hear with hearing aids or whatever.

1) How many implants do you have?Two - One Right, One Left :)
2) How long have you had your implant?Left - 6 months, Right 1 1/2 months
3) Are you pre-or post-linguistically deafened? I was born deaf, but I speak English fluently and hear on the 30 db sloping downwards with both hearing aids.
4) What age were you when you became deaf, what was your level of hearing loss, etc. Born deaf. Left - 105 db, Right - 96 db loss. I lost about 10% within the last couple years.
5) Do you feel your implant is "successful" in helping you hear?YES!

Hello everyone. I am working on a project involving music perception in cochlear implants, and I was wondering if you could take a moment to answer some questions. These are for CI users only. And for the record, I am not a CI user myself.

A- None
B- Some

Music from growing up, Music I have heard before. 70's and 80's
Depends when I was activated I enjoyed Elton Johm, now my song is anything my Phli Collins
not sure I believe I can hear almost all the instruments.
none
(6) What is the maximum number of instruments you can hear at once before the music becomes too crowded and unenjoyable?
I have not had this problem. I enjoy loud wild music as well
like it both
repeat
(9) Think of your favorite piece of music or song to listen to through your CI. What do you think helps you hear it clearly?
I have a play list of 67 sounds and I listen in order to songs. I add a new song a week. It does help with clarity.
(10) Any other thoughts you may have about listening to music through your CI, what helps, what doesn't help, etc.
I pick one song, read the lyrics and listen. then sing and read lyrics. I do this for around 30 times. The music becomes normal and enjoyable. The first time I hear a song, it sounds confusing.

Valerie

1) How many implants do you have?Advanced Bionics Harmony
2) How long have you had your implant?One year
3) Are you pre-or post-linguistically deafened?unsure - say post-linguistically
4) What age were you when you became deaf, what was your level of hearing loss, etc.unsure - they say from birth
5) Do you feel your implant is "successful" in helping you hear?yes
QUOTE]

I was unaided for 10 years and wore hearing aids for 27 years. The best sound of music has been with cochlear implants.

A- None
B- Some

C-I love listening to MOST music... I have to force myself to adjust to certain types of music... then I get used to the sounds.

I love industrial! Think Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Staind... I do enjoy Marilyn Manson.

I lost my ipod, but when I had it, I did sound rehab by listening to the song "I miss you"-Blink 182 over and over again. I could always recognize it.

The drums.

The piano-usually too soft

I hate heavy metal where the sound is undistinguishable.

Depends

It depends on who can pull it off. There are some songs I hate like that and some that I love. Repetition is great for sound therapy... Such as, if you hear a sound, you might not have heard enough to recognize what it is or what it might be. The more you hear it, the more you can figure out what it is.

I think it's my self discipline with using my CI. I think industrial could easily be irritating and unenjoyable to most CI users... But with patience and daily excercises, I can enjoy this music.

It's all about how the song is produced. If the music overpowers the singer, its useless...

A- None
B- Some

1) I love listening to music
2) I listen to almost any kind of music but exept country. well maybe a little bit of country if u add carrie underwood.
3) I love to listen to nickelback
4) the insurments that sound clearest to me is probably the drums and gitaur.
5) the worst insurment that sounds bad to me would probably have to be the trumpet, cuz they sound squeaky to me but i think thats how they're suppose to sound, so i'll have to get used to it.
6) I'm not so sure.
7) I pefer loud. I can hear better through loud. even though it bugs my parents.
8) A little of both
9) Probably the lyrics. If i read the lyrics and listen to my music at the same time, it sounds clear to me.
10) nope i'm good lol

Off-topic...

coolgirlsyper90,

I thought you wore hearing aids. Am I correct? If not and you don't mind my asking, what CI brand do you have and how long have you had your CI?

Last edited:

A- None
B- Some

C

70s/80s soft rock and smooth jazz

I have too many favorites to mention here. :)

Percussion

Heavy metal guitar

To be honest, I'm not sure. I never really thought about it. I'm able to listen to orchestral music and identify 95% of the instruments, so I would say my ability to hear multiple instruments is quite good.

I like both. It also depends on the type of music I'm listening to. If I'm listening to a favorite song of mine, I like it loud but if I'm listening to something like classical music or smooth jazz, I like it soft.

I like both.

I have too many favorite songs to answer this question.

e

1) How many implants do you have? Two
2) How long have you had your implant? Left implant since December 2004 Right implant since February 2006
3) Are you pre-or post-linguistically deafened? postlingually deaf
4) What age were you when you became deaf, what was your level of hearing loss, etc. I was diagnosed with a mild hearing loss at age 3 then my loss progressed until my early 20's when I became severely to profoundly deaf
5) Do you feel your implant is "successful" in helping you hear? Yes

e

A- None
B- Some

C- I love listening to music in my itune and ipod!

Rock, old school hip hop (beasties boys), new waves, indie, garages and sometime heavy rock.

I have different favorite songs when i have different moods.......

Ava Adore - Smashing Pumpkins (dark time like depressed and not in the mood etc)
Gold Lion - Yeah Yeah Yeahs (excited and weirdo)
Emotion sickness - Sliverchair (sad and confused etc)
any Beasties boys (this music make me happy)

About everything....

R'n'B is the worst music!

I like loud music because all of my music is rock! :-D

changes...

Anywhere.... Car, live music, ipod and itune.......

none :-D

Back