Questions about hearing aids

theatregrl

Reaction score
Just got back from my third audiologist appointment in a week. Went to the ENT because I was complaining that my ear felt clogged. He saw nothing but said that I could have hearing loss in that ear. It runs in my family. Went to three different audiologists and they all said the same thing. My audiogram was at 40-60db on the lower frequencies for my right ear. The upper frequencies were on the lower side but within normal range. They fitted me for a hearing aid in that ear. The audiologist said within a year or so I will probably need a hearing aid in my left but right now I am still within the normal range. She said I have probably been subconsciously compensating for a while but now it has progressed to the point where it is noticeable. I will be getting a siemens Intuis CIC. Does anyone have any experience with these? Will it get rid of the clogged sound in my ear? Will it be uncomfortable? I am looking for people with experience. The audiologist tells me one thing but I think hearing from people who have been through it might be more insightful.

I always thought CIC aids are the worse for being clogged up. The same with ITE and IIC aids.

Most people on this site wear BTE hearing aids I believe.

Interesting. . . all three audiologists suggested similar types of hearing aids. I am not sure of the difference I am trying to find out as much information as I can.

The audiologist said the cic would be the best because my loss wasn't that bad yet. She also said the BTE might not be as comfortable with my glasses. If gotten a lot of info in the past week. My head is spinning a little. The language is tripping me up a little.

Thanks for the info. The audiologist and the ENT recommended this hearing aid for my type of hearing loss. I am just trying to collect the data and understand what to expect. Will things be clearer. Will it still sound like people are mumbling just louder? I am hearing all different things.

Thanks for the info. The audiologist and the ENT recommended this hearing aid for my type of hearing loss. I am just trying to collect the data and understand what to expect. Will things be clearer. Will it still sound like people are mumbling just louder? I am hearing all different things.

How they sound depends partly on type of loss. If conductive, amplifying may make people easy to understand.

If the loss is sensorineural, voices will probably be distorted even with the hearing aid.

Thank you for your response. I will keep you posted when I finally get my aid! Excited and nervous at the same time.

Problem is with CIC, IIC, and ITE aids, they break down quite often due to being inside the ear where there IS quite a bit of moisture. BTE aids are much more long lasting.

Yes your loss is not bad like your Audi says but it still means that CIC aids make you feel clogged up.

EDIT- I just read that you get better microphones on BTE aids rather then CIC aids like directional when in noise etc. CIC aids are too small to have most of the good features.

That's something I didn't think of when she made the suggestion. Right now I think I'm going to try this because she said I can return it in 45 days if it doesn't work well for me. I am going to call Monday to find out about a restocking fee. I see that some people on here got stuck with that when they tried to return. Thank you.

With ITE aids, CIC aids etc, I think they actually cost more then BTE aids as they have to be made to your ear canal. Maybe why you were recommended CIC aids.

Price wasn't an issue because they came out the same price. I was offered both and was more strongly pointed to the cic. She said she was watching me flip my hair and between that and my glasses a bte might be a wrong choice. Right now we are going to see how this works. If I don't like it and there is a fee so be it. I will end up with what is right for me. Thanks

My BTE doesn't interfere with my glasses or hair at all, I'm very confused as to why your Audi would even think of that. My glasses sit between my HA's and my head, and depending on how I'm wearing my hair, my HA is either under it or over it.

I find that very strange, BTE aids do not in the way of glasses. I don't wear glasses but I do wear sunglasses most of 365 days a year due to senstive eyes and they never get in the way.

I also have seriously thick hair and that does not cause a problem either.

Wonder why your Audi didn't know that basic thing?

If your hearing gets worse, you will have to get BTE aids anyway as CIC aids are only really suitable for mild and a little bit of moderate loss.

I'd go for BTE as if your loss are progressive there's room for improvement over time.

I wear CI (cochlear implant) glasses (not those thin armed ones!) and have thick hair! Nothing had been affected at all.

I have to agree that the BTE are the most comfortable. As for glasses, they get in the way some depending on the glasses. I got new glasses with plastic lenses and when my HA hit the bow, it clicks and it's a bit annoying. With my old glasses, wire frames, no issues at all.

I also agree that if they suspect progressive loss, you will have a lot more function and life with BTE.

Back