Question from another student.

Shift_reality

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently an enginnering student at an University, and we are planning to design a new tool that help deaf people to identifly important audio signals, for example... speeding car driving by, alarm, fire alarm signals etc etc... I am just wondering, on a daily base, how do you people know if a car is approaching, or when u are driving, a cop car or fire truck is approaching?

thanks.

Disclaimer: It is 3am, and I am very tired, lol.

As Javapride put it yes, the mirrors are very helpful! Also, you can see other people pulling over and know that you should. At this point, so many cars are made to be so sound proof that most hearing people don't hear emergency vehicles anyway, at least not any sooner than you see them in your mirrors. You should make an alert system that lets ALL people know when the emergency vehicles are coming, not just deaf people.

signer16 said:
... At this point, so many cars are made to be so sound proof that most hearing people don't hear emergency vehicles anyway, at least not any sooner than you see them in your mirrors. You should make an alert system that lets ALL people know when the emergency vehicles are coming, not just deaf people.
True!

Also, hearing people use cell phones, listen to loud music, hear babies cry and kids' screaming, etc.

Im hearing and I have a radar detector that tells me when emergency vehicles are approaching. Radar detectors are legal in my state, but not in Canada which I frequently go to. I didnt buy it because i am trying to evade the police, but because it picks up the signal transmitted by emergency vehicles when they are about a mile away!! I decided to get this because my family has been hit by 4 speeding emergency vehicles!

tegumi said:
Im hearing and I have a radar detector that tells me when emergency vehicles are approaching. Radar detectors are legal in my state, but not in Canada which I frequently go to. I didnt buy it because i am trying to evade the police, but because it picks up the signal transmitted by emergency vehicles when they are about a mile away!! I decided to get this because my family has been hit by 4 speeding emergency vehicles!

Oh yes-- would you mind PM me the name of that product?
When I was licensed at age 16, my mom wanted me to get that product but I couldn't find it at the local store that caters to Deaf shoppers. I did read about it in a deaf magazine and showed it to my mom who said she will buy it regardless its price. I wondered if that still stands today?? Anyway, PM or just reply with the name of the product. :)

And the flashing lights on the ambulances and police cars help, especially at nighttime!! ;)

Back