Question about those deaf at birth

Riverside

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here, and I hope no one minds, but I actually registered only to post this one question here. I am not deaf, nor do I know anyone who is at present.

I have high functioning Autism and participate on an Autism forum. A discussion has ensued there regarding thought processes and speech. Some information, if anyone can point me to any, about deaf infants and whether or not they may or may not attempt speech in early months would help. If anyone knows of any evidence for or against the thought, I'd appreciate your sharing.

I did see one study that indicated that infant "babbling" is pretty much the same in deaf and hearing children up until about six months to one year, when marked differences can be heard.

I'm wondering also if deaf babies tend to become quieter at about the same time. My curiosity stems from a theory that if all infants instinctively attempt speech, it stands to reason that even deaf infants would attempt it. If though, attempts at speech are not producing reactions or results from those around the infant, perhaps the infant will stop trying, and become quite a bit quieter than the average infant of the same age.

Does anyone have any thoughts to share about this, or any reliable information they could point me to?

Thanks in advance.

I wish my mother would have told you if she was alive. You can not expect the deaf baby to be quiet. From infant throughout life until death, we will always make noises because we can not hear at all. I have been told by many people that I talk too loud or make too much noises when I shuffled around the house especially in the kitchen which is the noisy place. I never knew there were noises or should we expect to be quiet. You have an audism way to think what d/Deaf people do. I was born deaf. So what do you expect? We are not like hearing people at all. Hearing people just don't understand about deafness and Deaf Culture. :roll:

I'm wondering also if deaf babies tend to become quieter at about the same time.

:laugh2: Become quieter. Don't think so.

My daughter, profoundly deaf from birth, has NEVER been quiet during waking hours (and sometimes not even during her sleep). In fact, at the age of nearly 2 years old, she would frequently speak some kind of alien language that we were convinced was part dolphin, it reached such high volume at such a high pitch. And she was constantly babbling, loudly. It was only after getting her first CI at almost 2YO that she began self-modulating the sound down to a less ear-splitting level.

I notice that most of my daughter's deaf friends within the K - 2 grades keep a running level of sound/babbling going, and often at a much louder level than typical hearing kids. I think it has to be so loud for the vibrations to be meaningful or enjoyable to them.

Have you ever been on a playground with a whole bunch of deaf kids? The noise level is pretty intense. Indoors, I find it abates a bit, it's a different pattern of sound than with hearing kids, keeping all the vocalizing and exclamations in a typical hearing crowd, just without the verbal conversations, so the sound can seem more sudden and explosive.

If you have not yet realized it, speech (i.e. making sound/noise) and hearing have nothing to do with each other. Yes, both are senses but they are not connected....same things as saying sight and hearing do not have anything to do with each other.

We really noticed a verbal issue around 4-5 months old when her only sounds were these gurggly growling sounds and shrill squeals... no other babbling was present until after she had worn her hearing aids which was a number of months later.

I wish my mother would have told you if she was alive. You can not expect the deaf baby to be quiet. From infant throughout life until death, we will always make noises because we can not hear at all. I have been told by many people that I talk too loud or make too much noises when I shuffled around the house especially in the kitchen which is the noisy place. I never knew there were noises or should we expect to be quiet. You have an audism way to think what d/Deaf people do. I was born deaf. So what do you expect? We are not like hearing people at all. Hearing people just don't understand about deafness and Deaf Culture. :roll:

Which is exactly why I came hear to learn something from those of you who do, instead of relying on my own ignorance.

It may have seemed like a stupid question, but I've always been taught the only stupid questions are the ones you never ask.

I expected to learn, and I have. Thanks to these replies, I understand something I didn't yesterday.

Thank you.

BTW: I am Autistic, so I do have some idea what it's like to be different and to be totally misunderstood by everyone around. People come to our forums and ask questions that make my eyes roll too.

Anyway, I appreciate the answers. Thanks again.

Which is exactly why I came hear to learn something from those of you who do, instead of relying on my own ignorance.
It may have seemed like a stupid question, but I've always been taught the only stupid questions are the ones you never ask.

I expected to learn, and I have. Thanks to these replies, I understand something I didn't yesterday.

Thank you.

BTW: I am Autistic, so I do have some idea what it's like to be different and to be totally misunderstood by everyone around. People come to our forums and ask questions that make my eyes roll too.

Anyway, I appreciate the answers. Thanks again.

Not stupid at all! This was one of the more surprising things I encountered -- I too had assumed deaf = quiet, but definitely not the case

Back