question about a road trip

tigersharkdude

Reaction score
As some of you may know, Ive only recently (past year) lost all of my hearing, up until now Ive always had a little bit of hearing to communicate with people in a car. I will soon be taking an 11 hour road trip to florida with one of my friends, what would you all suggest as a means to pass the time? I have my phone with google translate so he can talk to it and it will translate, but I dont know how will he will do this for such a long period of time. I guess my question is, does anybody know of an easier way for us to communicate while driving/riding?? If we have a 3rd person ride along it shouldnt be as bad, I will have someone that can write out what the driver is saying

My deaf brother who has absulotely NO hearing and no speech skills drove from AZ to Washington DC on his own in his ratty truck back in 1997 before Wyndtell was even out in the market. He survived with brains and excellent problem solving skills. If you possess those skills, you will be fine. Dont let your hearing loss stop you.

I almost drove across the country on my own back in 1999 but two of my hearing friends wouldnt allow it and joined me.

If you are the driver, an amiability silent passenger would be perfect. Maybe someone with hearing loss who would enjoy the same level of volume on the radio. Someone you are comfortable with. Sounds like heaven to me.

In 2006 early August, I had asked my husband to come with me to meet my family for the first time. He said that he was not good in United States and rather he stay behind. Beside I had to attend the Memorial Service for my Mother who passed away in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The Memorial Service was in Santa Fe, New Mexico where my sister live (Still living there in Santa Fe). Any way, I decided to take my car all the way from home to Saulte St. Marie across the border to United States and travel all the way to New Mexico. I stayed with my sister for a month and of course keep in touch with my husband with my sister as interpreter. I did not bring my TDD with me. :roll:

Then after the month is over visiting my sister plus her husband and my son along with his family members, I drove all the way back coming into Saulte St. Marie border and came home safe and sound. My husband was really surprise. He thought that I would not make it here (if the car broke down and get stuck there). :lol: So any one can drive by herself or himself with no trouble. If you are not sure, then get someone to come with you for company. :)

Some things you just have to accept. This is one of them. Try to enjoy the silence. I personally hate talking in the car anyway. I like to see what's going on in the world outside my windows.

If you really need to converse, stop every couple hours to rest and sit face to face and chat.

I went on a roadtrip with hearing friends from Indiana to New Orleans a couple summers ago. 10-12 hours each way. I was silent for most of it, alone with my thoughts in a new part of the world. It was great.

I drove from Missouri to Florida in June 2009. I was the driver, but I was able to lipread my mother who was in the passenger seat and my daughter who was behind me. For the most part, I would suggest, a book, or like someone else mentioned. Take frequent breaks and chat while resting or whatever.

Make use of your aux port if you can. 11 hours is not bad, it'll be over sooner than you know it.

I had done cross country, north/south state trips enough times to be over two digits.

If you are driving the whole time, then yeah it's going to be a little boring but that's the tradeoff to be in control.

Well, I've been traveling solo across a half of the country often and blasting up music in car, AOL pager, SK1, SK2, SK3, BB, BB 3G kept me company.

Well, I've been traveling solo across a half of the country often and blasting up music in car, AOL pager, SK1, SK2, SK3, BB, BB 3G kept me company.

You should get SIX drive while texting tickets. :lol:

I packed up my little Honda with my belongings and moved to Iowa from Washington...ALONE! I stopped over in California and stayed for a week at my parents home then went to Iowa which took me 2 days to get there. I made it thru no problem. I didn't talk to people on my phone while driving. I basically concentrated on my driving and stopped to talk on texts for a short time during breaks.

Back