PSAT??? When???

sallylou

Potterhead and Janeite
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope that someone here know the answer to this question. Why would a sophomore want to take the PSAT? Is it to qualify for programs? If a sophomore takes the PSAT, does that score get averaged with the PSAT taken as a junior?

My kid's school gives students the option to take the PSAT as a sophmore. If the student doesn't take the PSAT as a sophomore, the student takes a different standardized test.

Thanks in advance for any info!

The PSAT is just a practice SAT, the score holds no value later. It just gives an idea of how the test is done and what kind of question format to expect.

I took it, got 1360 on PSAT then 1630 on the SAT! It helps IMO to practice it

Thanks for the info. I've decided to tutor my kid for the test and give him some practice tests at home. I have a CD with practice exams. Then, he can take the PSAT on schedule during his junior year. No sense ruining a Saturday for no reason.

The PSAT is a VERY good thing to take though. Because it gives the same feel as the SAT, uses the same time, and environment. It will also let you know where your child ranks currently on the 2400 scale. Then they can improve from there. There is no real way to study or prepare for the SAT because no one knows WHAT is on it until it is passed out to the students. It will range from questions as simple as 2+2 to figuring out complex physics equations. If you want to do it at hame, I suggest this book It has many tips and is what I used to bring my score up over 300 points

Thanks for the recommendation. Are you in college now? Do you plan a certain major?

My son's favorite subjects are math and science.

Not in college right now, taking some time to build up money for it. But will be going for architecture. Hopefully at UNC Charlotte.

That book will explain the whole test procedure and give tips on what you can do to prepare, like eating a good meal, sleep well, and explains the grading. It is a VERY thick book, but very helpful. Good luck to your kid!

just throwing my 2 cents.
My school had us take the PSAT during the evening one day (this was about 4 years ago).

It gave people an idea of how they would do on the actual SAT. It lets you know if you need to study a lot to get into the school you want to, or if you can be pretty sure of getting in. It helped some kids realize they needed some studying and to hire SAT prep tutors who could teach them how to think about certain problems.

Good point. I think that if I start working slowly with him now that he'll be ready for the PSAT next year. I always prepared myself for tests, including the LSAT.

The higher your grades are the less colleges look at your SAT. Our state universities give automatic admission for the top 10% of the class. I got automatic admission, and I hope my kid does, too. He's got to study for the tests, though, in case he doesn't make top 10%. My kid will probably go to a state supported college here because we prepaid tuition when he was a baby. Good thing considering how much tuition has increased! :shock:

Good luck on your college plans to study architecture. Raising the money is the hard part!

I would take the PSAT at the earliest opportunity. It's great practice for the SAT and gives you an idea of the exam layout.

Back