Protest, arrests shake D.C. college campus

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
United Press International - NewsTrack - Protest, arrests shake D.C. college campus

Dozens of students at Washington's Gallaudet University were arrested Friday night as a protest over the choice of a new college president was broken up.

Washington police and campus police officers hauled in about 90 protestors at the school for students who are deaf or hard of hearing.

The Washington Times said students had blockaded the campus for three days before being ordered to disperse. The university trustees said Saturday they would launch an investigation into allegations of excessive force on the part of the campus police.

The protest was launched as Jane Fernandez prepared to assume the president's job. Although Fernandez is deaf, the Times said her selection raised objections among faculty and students.

It was inevitable. No other choice for the administration really.

Hopefully nobody got hurt. I wonder if the protestor leaders were taken in? IE: Tawny Holmes (only one I know of)

It was inevitable. No other choice for the administration really.

Hopefully nobody got hurt. I wonder if the protestor leaders were taken in? IE: Tawny Holmes (only one I know of)

The total of arrested # is 148 and no one hurt cuz all protestors did learned some lawyer's explain them abt protestors' rules and process...

The currently protest leaders are Ryan Commerson, Tara Holcomb, Latoya Plummer, and Leah Kate Hernanzez...

heard that they all got released and returned to protest..that true?

Yes that's true many have gone back to the protest.

That's the reason we as a deaf community have to work together at eliminating these sources of scourge within the deaf communities. And we can begin this at the Gallaudet University Campus. Lets sweep the old deaf guard terrorists off the campus this moment. See my video at YouTube - Scourge from the old deaf guards and think about joining this war against indiscipline by the old deaf guard terrorists.

I'll be dealing with advertisers who buy ad spaces on the old deaf guard websites. They dont really support just the websites. They really support the terrorism and scourge the old deaf guards have brought upon many people. The same thing goes to websites that dont include messages from us. Time to nip this old deaf guard problem and the scourge they bring on people today!

Its time to eliminate terrorism within the deaf communities!

Richard Roehm

Yes that's true many have gone back to the protest.

That's the reason we as a deaf community have to work together at eliminating these sources of scourge within the deaf communities. And we can begin this at the Gallaudet University Campus. Lets sweep the old deaf guard terrorists off the campus this moment. See my video at YouTube - Scourge from the old deaf guards and think about joining this war against indiscipline by the old deaf guard terrorists.

I'll be dealing with advertisers who buy ad spaces on the old deaf guard websites. They dont really support just the websites. They really support the terrorism and scourge the old deaf guards have brought upon many people. The same thing goes to websites that dont include messages from us. Time to nip this old deaf guard problem and the scourge they bring on people today!

Its time to eliminate terrorism within the deaf communities!

Richard Roehm

I'm in agreement with that, deaf power and protest has brought us many advances, and given us great role models to follow, but a hard core seem determined to take us backwards not forwards, let's fess up, it's a power trip for them. Moderates by definition stay out of these things, but it just allows the power trippers to carry on as usual. In the UK we had deaf club hierarchies who did exactly the same, hanging on to some semblance of power, big fish in a little pond. In America these Fish are like sharks, quite prepared to eat its young if necessary.

If Fernandez was hearing I don't see how this matters, what matters is all students have equal access in the form that best suits them. Peaceful protest has achieved much more than vandalism, and criminal damage, and some brief 'glory' of arrest for the cause, it's time to grow up. We're all better than this. Moderate students should kill this protest off by marching over these hard core activists, and then voting them back to obscurity. Winston Churchill said it, 'Jaw Jaw, not, war war...' even King Jordan is bad mouthed, there's no logic to all this, the price he pays for peaceful protest request, ABUSE the unacceptable face of deaf activism.

It was my first time to watch a YouTube website about an interviewer with JK from TVDeaf.com. First of all, I checked this TVDeaf website, and it is no longer shown on the website. That's something funny going on.

My opinion is that JK seems very nervous to be on the auditorium with the deaf students because it was her first time to be the president of Gallaudet. I realized what I saw on YouTube - the interviewer was very emotional that made her feel insecurity. It was his fault, and it was not clear what he said to her on the interview. It looked somewhat embarrassment between them.

I do not think that there is nothing wrong with her. Another show on YouTube that made me aware of - JK does not show up with deaf students at Gallaudet - she often avoid to be in the public. I would say that it is not safe for her to be in the position dealing with the protects for now. She is not the only one. It is the same idea for a former hearing NTID vice-president who almost never show up in the public - it has nothing to do with a rally. He worked at NTID for a long time so it is not a big deal to me. They just do their job for their living. If there is something wrong with the education program at Gallaudet, then that would be a big difference and of course the rally should bring up the issue. Right now, it is all about personal issue. What a mess!

I can't agree with you here, Nesmuth. I saw your video earlier in the day before this post, but I still don't feel that they fit the role of the deaf guard. They're not militant in the old sense and they don't exclude people on the basis of deaf status.

They want a campus where someone will raise the bar on education, treat them with respect, listen to the valid concerns of the faculty, staff, and students, and lead the cultural center of the Deaf world with new ideas and a vigor that it rightly deserves.

I was doing some math. Around 130 arrests at $50 'bail' each. So FSSA themselves paid over $5,000 to get them out?

And this was done within a few hours of everybody being arrested?

I was also informed today by another friend that Tawny Holmes graduated, which I didn't know. I know she's one of the people who started this whole thing.

YouTube - The beginning...

Video on youtube, this was the very beginning of the protests - the jeep blocking the gate and Tawny giving a speech out of the sunroof.

I was doing some math. Around 130 arrests at $50 'bail' each. So FSSA themselves paid over $5,000 to get them out?

And this was done within a few hours of everybody being arrested?

I was also informed today by another friend that Tawny Holmes graduated, which I didn't know. I know she's one of the people who started this whole thing.

YouTube - The beginning...

Video on youtube, this was the very beginning of the protests - the jeep blocking the gate and Tawny giving a speech out of the sunroof.

Yea, FSSA mostly paid them bail out last Friday late night, some their friend(s) bail them out (few, not many), now FSSA needs more donations!!!

Back