Profound hearing loss + hearing aid questions

Lady is correct. My left ear has always been my poorer ear and as a result, I hear low frequencies better with it whereas my right ear was my better ear and I hear higher frequencies better with it. You can't go wrong with any of the 3 CIs. A person may do well with any of the 3 brands or they may not. It all depends on your hearing loss history and ability to work hard in order to learn how to hear with your CI among other things.

Well, I have an appointment this coming Monday morning with my primary physician so that they can refer me to a CI clinic for my first CI evaluation!!!! The next appointment after this one will be my CI evaluation. OMG the anticipation is killin' me. I'll finally find out one way or the other. I'm trying not to get too excited in case I'm not a candidate. It's hard though, considering many of the other results I've seen so far. :D :D :D

Phi,

I know how you feel. When my first CI evaluation was scheduled, I was as excited as a child the night before Christmas. :giggle: I hope you'll continue to keep us updated on your CI journey! :D

I wasn't, I was nervous wreck!!! it's probably understandable because i was turned down for referal by another hospital.

Take chill pill and relax LOL!!

Hear Again - Definitely. I'll keep adding updates as things progress to the point of surgery and activation (hopefully...if I'm deemed to be an appropriate candidate). :D

overthepond- Did they give a reason for why they turned you down for the referral?

Each CI center must be different because I wasn't required to have a referral. All I needed was an application which outlined the difficulties I was having with comnication, the communication methods I used, the reasons why I chose to get a CI, my general attitude about my hearing loss/deafness, what I expected to receive from a CI, a signature from my audi confirming the fact that I had severe-profound hearing loss and could not benefit from hearing aids, several character references as well as a current audiogram.

Hear Again - Well, the CI centers might not require a referral, but my insurance does if I'm going to follow the correct procedures for having them fund my surgery + CI.

Sorry, Phi. I wasn't aware of that. I have Medicaid and in Wisconsin they don't require a referral which is why I never mentioned it.

Hear Again - No problem! I didn't realize other insurance companies didn't require referrals either. Learned something new today. hehe. :D

LOL! I did too! :D Sometimes I forget how other insurance companies work because I've become so used to dealing with Medicaid and Medicare for the past 19 years. :)

Hear Again - Definitely. I'll keep adding updates as things progress to the point of surgery and activation (hopefully...if I'm deemed to be an appropriate candidate). :D

overthepond- Did they give a reason for why they turned you down for the referral?

When i went in for my hearing tests, my hearing stayed same but the hearing aids were ineffecive, i was having real problem communcating at work, so i asked for new hearing aids, they said the ones i had is fine i was like WTF, I had it for 8 years and it was consantly at the repairers (at my own money not the NHS) Surely a new HA is needed. So i asked about the CI, The audi said it won't benefit me and wouldn't refer me to an ENT. So when my job requires me to move, I moved to another county. I went to the HA dept to try and get new HA's, they was shocked at the state of my old HA's, gave me new ones straight away and immedatetly refered me to ENT who then refered me to CI, I nearly fell off the chair when he said... "have you thought about having CI since your speech is very good, i thought you would be great with CI" (his words) Very nice ENT!! I had explained to him what happened. So Here i am with very good results (it is much more than what i asked for pre CI) :D

Overthepond - Those previous professionals (who I will lovingly refer to as idiots for this post) obviously had no idea what they were doing. 8 year old hearing aids and they did that?! I would have said WTF?! myself. That's asinine.

But, anyhow, another update: my CI evaluation is next Friday, March 6th at 10 AM!!!!! :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

Hear Again - No problem! I didn't realize other insurance companies didn't require referrals either. Learned something new today. hehe. :D

Medicare and Medicaid are not "insurance companies". All insurance companies, as far as I know, require referrals and the "going through hoops" to get approval. There has to be no doubt in their minds that a CI is the only choice. "Hoops" include audi testing, CT scans, MRI's and in some cases blood tests.

Medicaid and Medicare are both "governmental coverage" which is always more strict and more a pain in the butt. I use to use it for my son, when he was born, but they basically said they wouldn't cover any treatment and said I needed to get a CI...well, I got my own insurance (and have for a while, after becoming an interpreter), and he remains deaf not hearing/deaf.

Medicare and Medicaid are not "insurance companies". All insurance companies, as far as I know, require referrals and the "going through hoops" to get approval. There has to be no doubt in their minds that a CI is the only choice. "Hoops" include audi testing, CT scans, MRI's and in some cases blood tests.

Medicaid and Medicare are both "governmental coverage" which is always more strict and more a pain in the butt. I use to use it for my son, when he was born, but they basically said they wouldn't cover any treatment and said I needed to get a CI...well, I got my own insurance (and have for a while, after becoming an interpreter), and he remains deaf not hearing/deaf.

My bad..since I can't use either, I don't really have knowledge of how either works. I just know how insurance works, or at least am learning.

We weren't in need of the insurance by the government (but since he was deaf, they gave it to us)...we wouldn't qualify now, since he has full language skills and income requirements are way lower than ours...once you have full language, they tend to drop the insurance anyway.

My bad..since I can't use either, I don't really have knowledge of how either works. I just know how insurance works, or at least am learning.

Overthepond - Those previous professionals (who I will lovingly refer to as idiots for this post) obviously had no idea what they were doing. 8 year old hearing aids and they did that?! I would have said WTF?! myself. That's asinine.

But, anyhow, another update: my CI evaluation is next Friday, March 6th at 10 AM!!!!! :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

:eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3: NO!!! that soon!! Ha, i am excited for you. Good luck, look forward to your posts on that..

I'm profound deaf and got very little or no benefit for HA but it used to work so good when I was little kid and hearing effective on HA has went down.

:eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3: NO!!! that soon!! Ha, i am excited for you. Good luck, look forward to your posts on that..

Phi4Sius, I read the entire thread and I wish you luck too! You said your bad ear has no audiogram? How loud was the audiometer capable of? You didn't hear even a faint beep at any frequency? Have you found out why your bad ear is so deaf? As for CI, do you expect it to give you hearing close to what you get with the good ear or do you just want to hear in both ears for direction?

Back