Process of getting a hearing aid

Purlee

Reaction score
I was born without an external ear structure and ultimately it affected my hearing, so I've always been hard of hearing. As of late, it's gotten exponentially worse and it's becoming more and more difficult to hear people when they're talking to me. I tend to get by off trying to read lips, but it's not always accurate. The problem is that hearing aids are expensive and quite frankly I don't have the money to afford one

Are there any processes that I can go through to get approved loans or grants for a hearing aid?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I'm assuming you have primarily conductive hearing loss ?

If this is the case you may want to look into a BAHA (bone anchored hearing aid) which is commonly used for those with conductive loss, including those with conditions like treacher colins etc.

Because BAHA has a surgical aspect its often covered by health care plans in the same way the CI are covered.
The surgery is very minor, and basically is just screwing an abutment (a screw) part way in the skull bone - which the BAHA hearing aid clips onto when in use (and is removed when not using it).

This may be something which you want to look into and try the special trial version, which the hearing aids are held on with a headband (instead of the little clip abutments).

Hey Anij, thanks for your prompt response! I recall having a bone conductor hearing aid (the headband style) when I was younger and it did improve my hearing. Of course as a kid I had way too many insecurities (didn't we all?) to go through school with it. However, now that I've grown up and grown to love myself, so I'm not intimidated by them anymore.

However, I would prefer to stay away from surgically implanting a hearing aid. Would you happen to know if it's at all possible to get a permanent version of the trial you were referring to?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I'm sure it would be possible - I know young kids wear them for years until the bones in their skull are thick enough.

Just to clarify - the hearing aid isn't implanted at all - the "surgery" is to screw in a self tapping tiny screw part way into the skull bone (there's a new one coming out that just uses a magnet placed under the skin).

Before ruling it out - I'd at least take a look at the BAHAs and talk with an audiologist about it.
Its nothing at all like a CI - there are no internal components at all, just the a tiny "screw".

Sadly it's the surgical aspect that usually makes insurance carriers cover them. No surgery, no hearing aid. There are other bone conduction devices such as the headband versions and one which clips to the teeth, but with there being no surgery you are then reliant on your insurance to cover hearing aids, which most don't. How old are you, where (roughly) do you live, and what do you do? There are some grants to help students with the cost of equipment, but it does depend where you live.

Hearing aid selection and programming are based on your hearing loss, the shape of your ear and your*lifestyle. The process of acquiring your personal hearing aid will require visits with a licensed hearing professional before, during and after receiving your hearing aid. The newer hearing aids have multiple microphones for better directional hearing and sound processing for background noise reduction. Thanks!

Back