Problems with power supply for my CI (N5)

zajko

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a small problem with my CI and I would like to ask if anyone else experienced something similar. Sometimes the sound provided by my CI stops for a moment and then continues. But it is happening more and more often :/

My internal implant is Nucleus 24, implanted almost 14 years ago. 1,5 year ago I upgraded my processor to N5. First 3 months I used disposable batteries (PowerOne) and almost everything was OK - only when the batteries were already weak and I put on my processor in the morning, the sound was interrupting, but after 10-15 minutes it was OK until the battery finally died. Then I get rechargeable batteries and I didn't have absolutely any problems with them. I used disposable batteries only as a back-up.
But a few months ago I realised that disposable batteries don't work for me at all. When I put them into the processor, the sound is stopping very often, so the need to use disposables is my nightmare and I use them only when it is absolutely necessary and until I recharge rechargeable batteries. It works without problems only when I press my coil against the implant site, which is not very comfortable.
And what is the worst thing - interrupting of the sound started also when I use rechargeable batteries :( It is not as bad as with disposables, but it is quite annoying. Sometimes it happens when I do a certain move (for example yawn), but mostly I don't see any reason. I also noticed that it is much worse when I'm outside and the weather is cold, but it happens also when I'm in room temperature.

I know I have quite a power-consuming map in my processor (my audi had to change my map a lot when I upgraded to N5) and I also know that rechargeable batteries can lose their performance after some time. However, I still think that losing power after a year is quite soon.
But my biggest concern is how can disposable batteries work so badly when they worked a year ago almost without problems?

I have already contacted my audi and I'm waiting for his reply, but I wanted to ask if some of you experienced similar problems or if you have any idea what can be wrong.

Thanks for answers :)

Yep, when I use the disposable batteries, I get that occassional interruption. Never happens with the rechargeables.

I will have to shoot Cochlear an email to see if there is a bug in the software or hardware and whether we need to get updates.

green, thanks for your answer. Just another question - if I remember it correctly, you have 2 CIs - one older (N24), one newer (N5?)? Do you have these interrupting problems only with one or with both implants?

I had that problem, could it possibly be the cable leading to the coil is loose?

Back