problem about relay service and any place

cokewife72

Reaction score
Many time I tried call many company or doctor or whatever. I had to use relay to call them. Many hearing people hung up on us. I had to asked relay oper to redial again and tell them to not dare hung up on us. They listened to me. I asked them why did they hung up on us. They said they thought we were sale person or Relay sound very werid to them.

My husband is a hearing. He really hate Relay so much because many relay oper were sooo rude or they did'nt tell him what i typed. Relay oper told him different story. We had to talk in person after he got home. He asked me what story that he was told. I was so upset and shocked. Many hearing people really hate Relay because of those and some oper were so rude.

I don't trust Relay most time but We have to use Relay to call. No choice!

I can't speak for the relay people being rude, however I know a lot of people who hang up on telemarketers before they can even speak one word. With telemarketers, there is often a pause on the phone before they begin to speak. It may be the same with relay so if there is a pause when the person answers the phone, they may just automatically hang up.

Yeah I've been there too...

afew times when I called at my ex's place using the relay service, alot of people hung up on me because they thought I was a salesperson too...lol I mean wtf? it's really weird so yeah it's not easy to trust the relay operators...if they were lying to the person they are talking to for the deaf person, then that fucking operator should get fired.

very immature to do something like that.

what kind of relay service do you use?

I often use the Sprint Relay Online.

hopefully they never lie on me or whatever like that lol

As for long distance call. I used www.ip-relay.com

local call I dial state of relay 711

When it was busy line, I am tired of telling the operator to redial again and again...

When I gave out the tel number or address to that hearing person, he/she asked me to repeat that number. Relay Operator can't involve to give that number or address repeat until I say so...

relay just read what you type, he/she will speak for you. Can't be involve between you and other person...

When it was answering machine. I had to redial to pay extra phone bill to leave the message on the answer machine.

I hate the answering machine so much !! I preferred to speak with live rep

I prefer to use videophone relay service, because I usually get much better results from it compared to tty relay service. You see the interpreter on the screen and can see if she/he is being nice or rude. LOL

I used 711. 711 is so suck. I used 711 and asked oper to dial to reach my husband. My husband answered his cell phone. Relay didn't respond me back after my husband spoke. I typed ( Hello?). Relay never type back. I had to hang up and redial. But 711 didn't answer at all. I gave up with stupid 711. I use sprint online relay or att relay online.

cokewife72 said:
My husband is a hearing. He really hate Relay so much because many relay oper were sooo rude or they did'nt tell him what i typed. Relay oper told him different story. We had to talk in person after he got home. He asked me what story that he was told. I was so upset and shocked. Many hearing people really hate Relay because of those and some oper were so rude.

If you really suspect that operators are telling the other person something OTHER than what you're saying, get that danged operator's number and report them! I know for a fact that Sprint relay has and does fire people over complaints received about their operators, as confirmed by my relay representative.

I don't trust Relay most time but We have to use Relay to call. No choice!

You have the power to fix this. Either step up and complain or sit down and accept it like a sheep would. I'm no sheep, I'm a ROARING LION on relay issues and you CAN make a difference for yourself. The FCC WANTS to hear from you if you don't think the relay company is fixing your complaint.

LOL, just today I called and was asking for this person (A). Then this person (B) who I thought was introduced themselves as person (A). Then the person (B) began talking about her partner with the same name as (A), and I asked, is this (A)? She said this is_______(another name) (person B) who I talked to yesterday. Then after they hung up, I asked the relay to clarify and she said that she thought she heard the original name I was requesting (person A). It was a tad embarrassing because I don't want the other person to think that it was rude or something. I wrote an e-mail to this person explaining because it's about employment! I thought maybe person (B) was pretending to be person (A).

Damn relay! They didn't apologized when I asked for clarification in the middle of it. I know they should keep it as a dialogue without them, but damn it was her fault for misunderstanding.

If you have people that you regularly see or periodically, then you should let them know about relay beforehand. Give them a card with the instructions or have them keep one by the phone just in case. Tell the receptionist or the doctor to make them aware so they never hang up. It's funny because when you let them know, some people care and really try to make a difference. Write up a letter and let them know.

You could try e-mailing if you can which is usually what I try to do when I can. It's annoying when I sometimes e-mail because it was written part of the info I got and they tell me to call without answering any of my questions --sigh--. Some places have to get used to e-mailing. Why put down e-mail if they aren't gonna use it? Damn!

I just wanted to follow up on this thread with something. As I mentioned in my intro, I work for our local police department. Today was my first time taking a call using a relay service (Our department has had them but this was my first time to answer one). The woman identified herself as the AT&T Internet Relay Operator (Or something similar). There was a slight pause at the beginning so the first impression is that it was a telemarketer.

The operator was very polite to me on phone, as well very helpful. I was paying close attention to her demeanor specifically because of this thread. When I asked a question, she was very quick to relay it and to receive an answer. Because this was in a 911 call center (although the call came in on a normal line and not 911), I had to ask very specific questions. In return I received very specific answers. I got the impression the operator was asking the question the exactly as I intended it.

The only thing I found troubling was how she ended a reply. I can't remember her exact wording but at first I wasn't sure if it was my time to talk or if there was more to come. I'm drawing a blank as to what terms she used. After a couple of times I caught on, but this is really the only negative thing I could find regarding the service.

[Edited To Add].

The term was 'Go Ahead' Yes, I know its easy to figure out but it through me at the time :scatter:

Last edited:
Problems with relay services.

Eh, I've had my shares of problems w/ relay services and the operators who handled my calls.

My Husband is hearing and also doesn't really care for the Relay services.

But, we both use ip-relay.com or recently started using "MYIPRELAY" - if you haven't heard of it, try it out. Just add MYIPRELAY to your buddy list on AIM, Trillian, or cell phone/pager AIM/or other chat services. It seems to be much easier and faster to use. I like it so far.

Back