Pro & Cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know why I keep expecting you to be mature... you look old enough of be a grandmother so I assume that you are an adult... there is no reason for the attitude...

As for the article... hmm... well we are all have our own options... yet you seem to latch on to a very minor aspect of her article... it was not about her... yes, she did make mention of her experience... but reading the whole article... that is not her target... nor was her target only about CI effectivness.... rather the larger of the whole... but I understand... here nothing bad is permitted to be said about the CI...
You completely ignore aspects of her argument... but you are one of the mercilessly cured ...oh so quickly... congrats... can everyone say that? Or does all these suddenly able to hear videos misrepresentating things, especially for the young deaf childern... sure they hear a beep or something else but is it usable hearing?

How is her stating:

Cochlear implant activation is the start of a long and hard journey, but these activation videos give the impression that it is instead the end of one.

Tunnel vision? Her words have been backed by the very company and organizations that provides them...

That it is hard work, it does take time and dedication to it, and that “Hearing is not a switch you can just turn on. It takes years of hard work, therapy, and effort.”... this is about more then just her... sorry... be rude and foul about it if want... but these videos do in fact provide a misrepresentation of the fact of how much time, energy, struggles, and the like that it take to gain usable hearing... if they gain it at all... almost every hearing person I have taken time with have also said the same... go get a CI and be cured... yet... is it that simple for everyone... or even anyone? No... but it is what these videos will lead people to believe...

Every video that is put out there is put out there by a person that is sharing their experience and their joy. It takes some pretty big balls, lack of perspective and maturity to tell people NOT to do that.

For SOME people it is a hard journey yes, but for others it's easy. THAT'S the point.

I lack maturity because I call out a one sided view that doesn't represent all sides? I lack maturity because you post a one sided blog and I point out that it's one sided?? I lack maturity but I can see this from all sides and when I see one that is invalidating others experience and perspective I'm going to rightly call it on its bullshit?

Her experience is valid. It's true and accurate for a great many people. HOWEVER!!! It's ONLY true for her.

Putting out things of this nature is JUST as bad and misrepresentative as insisting that's a cure for anyone.

That's another thing. I'm not cured you nimwitted twat waffle. I'm still just as deaf as the day I was implanted.

Is my experience invalid? Are others people's that have rapidly advanced through their journey invalid? Should we just be ignored and have no voice because it doesn't fit your god damn narrative.

No I'm not saying no bad things should be said about CI. But when you put out things that are only one sided I'm sure as hell going to point that out. Expect it, get acquainted with it. I will not sugar coat bullshit to make it more palatable to you you petulant child.

I have quite often commented on the videos that circulate around Facebook that it's more accurate to say that these people are first time with their CI than saying their hearing for the first time.

The publics impression of a CI is rather irrelevant considering by and large they're not going to come across anyone with one anyway. And the people that DO know someone with one or is going to get will very quickly get educated in how well, or not well.

In the past year I have posted often on Facebook of my experience, new things I've heard, my progress. I suppose you're going to tell me I shouldn't have done that? Hmmmmm Jezie. Do you have any idea how douchy that makes you sound? Any idea at all?

I should keep my experience quiet and not share my joy accomplishment with my friends and family because they might get the wrong idea about how well a CI can work? really? Really really?

Hmmm while a lot of that advantages/disadvantages can stand some is debatable.

For one thing it's dated, really really dated. It's from 2001, it's 15 years old and A LOT of improvements have been made.

The expense issues had me scratching my head a bit. Even with hearing aids you still have the same issues of the expense of the equipment, audiology appointments and what not. It's not like you DON'T have to pay for those things with a hearing aid.

I can not think of one thing I liked more about my hearing aid than my CI. My CI wins, hands down.

When my hearing was just severe, sure my hearing aid was completely adequate, a CI completely unnecessary, overkill even. But once you get into the profound, and deeply profound ranges there really is no comparison. It's like apples and oranges really.

I think if I had been born with the loss I have now, and only ever had access to hearing aids, I would probably would have never learned to talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back