Possible BBC programme about a strong Deaf family

kirsteen

Reaction score
Hi, I hope you don't mind me sending you this as I'm trying to spread this email as far out as I can within the Deaf community.
I work for the BBC and they are thinking of making a programme about a Deaf signing family and I'm doing some early research to find people who might be willing to talk to me.
Here is some blurb on what I'm looking for.
Best wishes,
Kirsteen.

Following on from the huge success of My Family and Autism the BBC are making 5 documentaries about family life in different circumstances and we hope that one of the films will be about a Deaf signing family.

Many hearing people are unaware that there is such a thing as Deaf culture or the Deaf community. This hour long programme would give an opportunity for people to tell their family story from a Deaf perspective and would focus on family life and the issues that are important to Deaf families.

We are interested in contacting families who may be able to help us with our initial research and would be particularly keen to contact people who have experience in the following areas:

Being in a family where there has been deafness for generations. Families where the grandparents can remember what it was like to be punished for signing at boarding school. Deaf parents who have both deaf and hearing children. Deaf parents who are in the process of choosing what school to send their children to.

You can contact me via email at Kirsteen.knight@bbc.co.uk or minicom on 020 8752 6844

I wish you the best of luck on being able to complete this series. I look forward to seeing it and I will probably buy a copy of the Deaf family episode if it is made available on VHS/DVD.

I’d like to point out that it won't be just the grandparents who can relate stories about being punished for signing. My friend and neighbor is only 2 years older than I am, and she was locked in a dark coat closet for four hours at her public school for mispronouncing a word.

I totally agree with levioan, gotta think abt other poeple too and i too would buy that if its out on dvd and vhs either way, and ofc show it here in hawaii also :)

I think that would be a great eye-opener for those in the hearing community, and deaf community as well -- seeing how a Deaf signing family fares in general things and so forth. :) Prove them that us Deaf people can do it and have a normal life --having kids and all!

Back