Positive Discrimination?

Where are the education and awareness programs? In my entire life I have never encountered one. Not one! Ignorance is not knowing. Stupididy is knowing and still choosing to discriminate. Once someone is aware I would not consider them ignorant.

Oh I agree. However, one must remember that it is easier to be stupid than smart. :eek3:

Robin

Where are the education and awareness programs? In my entire life I have never encountered one. Not one! Ignorance is not knowing. Stupididy is knowing and still choosing to discriminate. Once someone is aware I would not consider them ignorant.

The ADA has been one source of education for people......the legislation of providing accommodation to allow people with disabilities to function in the educational and work arenas alone indicates that disability does not mean lack of capability. Also, the NAD is involved in education and awareness constantly. The World Federation of the Deaf is another organization that works to increase awareness and education. On a smaller scale, anyone who works in an advocacy position educates and increases awareness on a daily basis, usually on a more one-to-one basis, but it is education and awareness all the same. Any event that brings those with disabilities to the forefront serves to educate and make aware. Deaf President Now in 1988 at Gallaudet University was an event that reached individuals worldwide. The National Assoc. for Deaf Children is another organization that has as one of its purposes, increasing awareness. Everytime a deaf individual stands up for their rights it is an exercize in awareness. Everytime a deaf person's accomplishments are noted, it is an exercize in awareness and education. The information is out there....it is simply not paid attention to. Whose resposnibility is that? I would say that the ones who choose to ignore the obvious are the ones responsible for their own lack of awareness.

Quite frankly, I beleive that we, as parents of deaf children, bear a particular responsibility to educate and make aware, not just for our own children's sake, but for the sake of the entire population to which they belong. We owe it to our children, and to the deaf community as a group, to correct misconceptions and inform the uninformed any time the opportunity to do so presents itself. Education and awareness comes in many forms. It does not have to be a huge outreach project. It can just as effectively be done one person at a time.

Not so sure generalizing in and of itself is a bad thing. It can be argued that the entire fields of statistics, studies, and polls (All of which I tend to distrust and question) are all based on the concept that generalizing a group has value.

If it's acknowledged.

Wow. This was an interesting read. As a hearing impaired woman, and that means I don't fall into either the hearing or deaf world per se, it sure is insightful. I've been discriminated by both groups, so at my age I've pretty much chalked it up to ignorance on both parts. I want to go into this post, but it will take up some time and I am off to work. No, I don't sign, yes, I speak, yes, I am 70% hearing impaired, yes I was mainstreamed, no, I have not been around the deaf community a lot because I don't sign and since I am hearing impaired it can be difficult for me to understand when being spoken to, yes, hearing people can be and are rude no matter what education level they are and the topper is yes, I hate it when they find out I am hearing impaired and then act overtly nice. Damn, I hate that. What I do find myself capable of, and wonder if anyone else here has this little situation, is, do you find yourself capable of "reading" people" like, making up for your hearing loss? It's like a blessing and a curse all wrapped up into one.

R

Odd, you wouldn't think that I, a hearing person who used to sign, would be able to relate to anything you said -- but the truth is it all sounds too familiar. I am a half breed Indian (Native American style) who has been discriminated against by whites, including my relatives, because of my Indian blood, and discriminated against by Indians, including my relatives, because I look white.

Just goes to show, understanding is where you find it.

However, I think that some deafies automatically assume paternalism when some hearies are just offering friendship and consideration. It becomes self-imposed discrimination. I've also heard of situations where a deafie begins to make friends with some hearies, and their own Deaf friends begin to ignore them. Again, it's a sort of self-imposed discrimination -- a kind of clique.

Interesting from your point of view! From my experience where I work at Federal Government for 26 years !! The hearing colleagues usually said Good morning when they arrived to work every morning. I do not go with them for lunch time or social after work due to communication barrier.

I work at Human Service - Group Home; I work with hearing staffs they were overwhelming because my sign language is accelerated. I sometime not use my voice when I sign with Deaf clients. Hearing staffs become fascinating to know about Deaf language and culture, I did feedback with them to take courses at College. Three of them become interpreters and successful in their careers. We become best friends since 4 years; we do keep in touch and social with them on weekend.

From my perspective between Federal Government has a huge hearing community. When you work at Deaf Community like group home, Deaf School, etc... You will make new friends with hearing people who really want to learn sign language.

Last night, I was picking on hearing staff because he talked with other hearing staff. I ran to him, forbid to using voice in this house. Sign Sign with my facial impression, he was laughing and bushing. He knows the finger spelling. When he spell each words, I sign each word backward to him. He laughed at same time to talk to me. It was so funny and good challenge for him to learn sign language because he loves to work with Deaf clients.

It was really fun to work with hearing people who work with Deaf clients. They admire me because I have a sense of humor. It makes their sign language pick up really quickly.

Wow. This was an interesting read. As a hearing impaired woman, and that means I don't fall into either the hearing or deaf world per se, it sure is insightful. I've been discriminated by both groups, so at my age I've pretty much chalked it up to ignorance on both parts. I want to go into this post, but it will take up some time and I am off to work. No, I don't sign, yes, I speak, yes, I am 70% hearing impaired, yes I was mainstreamed, no, I have not been around the deaf community a lot because I don't sign and since I am hearing impaired it can be difficult for me to understand when being spoken to, yes, hearing people can be and are rude no matter what education level they are and the topper is yes, I hate it when they find out I am hearing impaired and then act overtly nice. Damn, I hate that. What I do find myself capable of, and wonder if anyone else here has this little situation, is, do you find yourself capable of "reading" people" like, making up for your hearing loss? It's like a blessing and a curse all wrapped up into one.
R

Oh gosh, I realllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy HATE term " Hearing Imparied !!

Our ears are not broke... Medical term cause the society confuse about terms. "Deaf" and "hearing imparied".

I removed alll terms "hearing imparied" publishment at my work. They respect my wishes. YAY !!!

Quite frankly, I beleive that we, as parents of deaf children, bear a particular responsibility to educate and make aware, not just for our own children's sake, but for the sake of the entire population to which they belong. We owe it to our children, and to the deaf community as a group, to correct misconceptions and inform the uninformed any time the opportunity to do so presents itself. Education and awareness comes in many forms. It does not have to be a huge outreach project. It can just as effectively be done one person at a time.
I agree and I do that whenever the need arises. I guess what I mean about education and awareness is to apply it in the educational system so that everyone that passes through it will be educated on the subject. Personally I think you will reach out to more people that way.

Our ears are not broke... Medical term cause the society confuse about terms. "Deaf" and "hearing imparied".

I removed alll terms "hearing imparied" publishment at my work. They respect my wishes. YAY !!!

But, I am hearing impaired, I am not deaf. There actually is a difference. I don't know what other term you could use since I can't really say I am deaf per se.

R

Odd, you wouldn't think that I, a hearing person who used to sign, would be able to relate to anything you said -- but the truth is it all sounds too familiar. I am a half breed Indian (Native American style) who has been discriminated against by whites, including my relatives, because of my Indian blood, and discriminated against by Indians, including my relatives, because I look white.

Just goes to show, understanding is where you find it.

:gpost:

I agree and I do that whenever the need arises. I guess what I mean about education and awareness is to apply it in the educational system so that everyone that passes through it will be educated on the subject. Personally I think you will reach out to more people that way.

And that is what I try to do on my end. However, I agree with you that teachers need greater education regarding deaf students, especially given the push for mainstream palcement. Unfortunately, in the majority of special education tracks for teachers, this is not being accomplished. A bachelor degreed special ed teacher gets perhaps one chapter in one course devoted to deaf education. Regular track education teachers get nothing, even though deaf children are often placed in their classrooms. Many of these schools are using itinerant speech and language pathologists who are given education according to the pathological model, and therefore are woefully undereducated regarding the deaf needs as well. School counselors, responsibile for much of what is written into an IEP for these students, and for follow up on the effectiveness of services being provided, have no specific education regarding the specific needs of deaf/hoh students. Consequently, these students are served in the same capacity as LD students, and services are inadequate for their needs. Unfortunately, the public school systems rarely hire TODs to serve these kids for financial reasons. The goal seems to be to mainstream, serve them as inexpensively as possible, and get them through.

The good news is that if each and every one of us that are concerned about the undereducation and underserving of this population continues to speak up and advocate for these students, we will make a difference. Perhaps not as large a difference as we sant to amke, and perhaps changes will not happen as quickly and as wide spread as we would like to see, but it is like a drop inthe bucket. Sooner or later, those drops add up to fill the bucket. Keep using every opportunity you have to make a difference, rd, despite the frustration.

But, I am hearing impaired, I am not deaf. There actually is a difference. I don't know what other term you could use since I can't really say I am deaf per se.

R

How about hard of hearing? That removes the implication that there is pathology. There are many deaf/hoh who object to the negative implications of the term "hearing impaired."

Same here..I hate that term and GOOD fOR YOU that u that term removed! :cheers:

R

Many hard of hearing people in the Deaf community call themselves Deaf. It is not a big deal.

And that is what I try to do on my end. However, I agree with you that teachers need greater education regarding deaf students, especially given the push for mainstream palcement. Unfortunately, in the majority of special education tracks for teachers, this is not being accomplished. A bachelor degreed special ed teacher gets perhaps one chapter in one course devoted to deaf education. Regular track education teachers get nothing, even though deaf children are often placed in their classrooms. Many of these schools are using itinerant speech and language pathologists who are given education according to the pathological model, and therefore are woefully undereducated regarding the deaf needs as well. School counselors, responsibile for much of what is written into an IEP for these students, and for follow up on the effectiveness of services being provided, have no specific education regarding the specific needs of deaf/hoh students. Consequently, these students are served in the same capacity as LD students, and services are inadequate for their needs. Unfortunately, the public school systems rarely hire TODs to serve these kids for financial reasons. The goal seems to be to mainstream, serve them as inexpensively as possible, and get them through.

The good news is that if each and every one of us that are concerned about the undereducation and underserving of this population continues to speak up and advocate for these students, we will make a difference. Perhaps not as large a difference as we sant to amke, and perhaps changes will not happen as quickly and as wide spread as we would like to see, but it is like a drop inthe bucket. Sooner or later, those drops add up to fill the bucket. Keep using every opportunity you have to make a difference, rd, despite the frustration.

I have started some small steps in awareness about deafness and Deaf culture by posting bulletin posts in myspace about Deafness and Deaf culture so these posts go to everyone on my list including my former hearing classmates. It is not much but it is a small step for now.

I have started some small steps in awareness about deafness and Deaf culture by posting bulletin posts in myspace about Deafness and Deaf culture so these posts go to everyone on my list including my former hearing classmates. It is not much but it is a small step for now.

I've been reading them!:giggle:

How about hard of hearing? That removes the implication that there is pathology. There are many deaf/hoh who object to the negative implications of the term "hearing impaired."

Could you explain your use of the word "pathology"? I lost over 50% of my hearing due to scarlett fever when I was 5ish. If I understood why the wording is being used, it could help clarify a few things for me.

R

Could you explain your use of the word "pathology"? I lost over 50% of my hearing due to scarlett fever when I was 5ish. If I understood why the wording is being used, it could help clarify a few things for me.

R

Sure. The medical definition of deafness is limited to something wrong with the hearing. Pathology means that it is abnormal, or not the same as the majority. Deaf people, whether they are deaf, Deaf, or hoh, generally don't see themselves as abnormal, or something broken and in need of being fixed, but simply as different from the majority. Pathology means abnormal, and many deaf/Deaf/hoh feel offended by that view.

Hope that helps explain. If you want, jsut keep asking questions. I'll be glad to answer anything I can.

Wow, I knew this might well spark a bit of a discussion but to have gone from 0 replys to 36 is quite a jump.

I am well aware that Deaf/deaf/hoh people experience discrimination and though reading everyone's posts it has made me much more aware that we all experience discrimination in some form or another.

One problem is history, as someone said if a black person and a d/deaf person has a bad experience with a hearing white then they will both have negative associations linked with white hearies, and that I respect.

What do people think about the idea that education does need to start at school and through exposure. Before I started my University degree I will hold my hands up and say I knew NOTHING about the Deaf world, no discrimination just ignorance but it is through my education and approaching my studies with an open mind and meeting all my Deaf friends (Hooray for the Guild in Preston UK! !) I have learnt and experienced this fantastic and fasinating community and its language I have also learnt more about their problems, discrimination and politics.
With this in mind I would like to think I have moved out of the class of ignorance/stupid hearing people who will paternalise the D/deaf and hoh. I do agree that the deaf and hearing world have a bad hostory but surely it is time to start breaking down those discriminations, how can you hope to move on from your bad experiences if you don't talk (In what ever mode) about them and work towards dealing with them.
If your friendship is only a front and when challenged you will resort to the "Oh don't mind him, he's hearing" arguement isn't that not dissimilar to the Hearing world saying "Oh don't mind him, he's deaf" (audiologically, culture aside) Surely there is a problem with both camps.

Obviously I can not speak for EVERYONE but I throw it out as an idea, a start towards mutual co-operation for a better understanding and equal chances for everyone.
It starts with communication (In what ever way)

Thoughts ? :)

We must all begin with where we are, and move forward from there. The attitudes of the Deaf community must first be recognized and validated. Then, and only then, will the hearing community insire the trust that is necessary.

I,too, don't like the term 'hearing impaired'. I don't mind the term HOH, but I don't see it much used in the deaf community over here.

Last Friday, we, I and mum, went in to talk to my soon to be employers about how they can help me such as work modifications etc. When the guy said 'hearing impaired', my mother interrupted and interjected that Miss-D's deaf and it's more appropriate of a term to use as she is that. :)

Apparently she doesn't like hearing her daughter being referred as hearing impaired. LOL

Back