Poor aided results above 500Hz

Update:

I am having my HAs reprogrammed for max gain, transposition and enable some other features to reduce distortion and background noise. My audiologist is going to get my aided hearing to normal in the low frequencies and near normal in the mid frequencies. Transposition, if it works correctly will give me near normal hearing in the high frequencies. Itll "move" high frequency sounds down to the mid frequencies where ill be able to hear them. Ill let you guys know if transposition is hype or if it's the best thing since sliced bread.

My audiologist doesn't recommend CI for me(nor anyone who isn't nearly totally deaf) and he believes the best HAs and his programming can aid profoundly deaf to normal or at least near normal hearing. He also says people simply need to make the effort to train their ears to understand speech then they will have a high % of speech comphrension.

Earlier today while in the car with dad driving, I understood 80% of what he said. He and my mom(who was sitting in the back) was amazed. My HAs haven't even yet been reprogrammed and im already doing this well in real world speech. Dad doesn't understand how anyone with hearing similar to me would ever want a CI and go thru with the risks of surgury. He does agree CI is the only viable option for the nearly totally deaf with so little residual hearing.

I asked dad what happens if I were to lose another 10db or even 20db of hearing and he says that would be a disaster. I really hope my hearing remains stable, I read that 20% of profoundly deaf people eventually become nearly or totally deaf. If this happens to me, I am open to the idea of a CI or whatever other tools get invented to give the deaf access to sound and speech. Itll be a last resort, anyone should stick to HAs and find an audiologist who says is an expert and can program them correctly(even if it takes more than one try)

I am not against CIs except for those who see it as an "upgrade" and got to have the "latest and greatest" what's wrong with upgrading to the latest and greatest HAs and finding an experienced audiologist who will program your HAs to the max? I already understand 80% of what my dad says(in a noisy car too!) without lip reading and hope to get above 90% when my HAs return from being reprogrammed.

My audiologist is going to get my aided hearing to normal in the low frequencies and near normal in the mid frequencies. Transposition, if it works correctly will give me near normal hearing in the high frequencies.
I wish your audi lots of luck with that. I think he will need it.

As far as you understanding 80% of speech in a noisy car, how much conversation was taking place and was your father speaking to you in condensed sentences? If he was, it's no wonder you were able to understand as much as you did.

I am not against CIs except for those who see it as an "upgrade" and got to have the "latest and greatest" what's wrong with upgrading to the latest and greatest HAs and finding an experienced audiologist who will program your HAs to the max?

If someone chooses to have a CI because it's the "latest and greatest," what's wrong with that as opposed to buying the "latest and greatest" hearing aids on the market?

Programming hearing aids to the max doesn't always result in clarity. My aids were programmed with maximum gain (against my audi's wishes) and it didn't help me understand speech.

Back