Poetry

ember

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I am sure it will get worked out.

So who likes poetry I love it and here is my favorite poet not because of the poem I am about to share.

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbtVepS53t0"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbtVepS53t0[/ame]

This has been posted before. I have mixed emotions about it. Think I talked about it on the original post... let's see if somebody can dig it up...

why mixed emotions

.... sorry for the repeat dat gum newbie

Eh, I didn't like how he seemed to focus on the limitations of deafness, even if he was trying to be positive about it. Seems kinda patronizing to me. Also, I don't like that it's not captioned and the google auto caption isn't good at all on this one. Plus, his signing is pretty lousy IMO.

I still can't tell what he's saying in the last poem. Is he saying that if he were born hearing, he would pray to the lord above at the top of his lungs every night to thank him for giving him a voice?

I don't like that at all...

Edit: I know he says, "If I were born a man..." but I think he's implying that if he were born hearing? I dunno, it seems like that to me.

Eh, I didn't like how he seemed to focus on the limitations of deafness, even if he was trying to be positive about it. Seems kinda patronizing to me. Also, I don't like that it's not captioned and the google auto caption isn't good at all on this one. Plus, his signing is pretty lousy IMO.

I still can't tell what he's saying in the last poem. Is he saying that if he were born hearing, he would pray to the lord above at the top of his lungs every night to thank him for giving him a voice?

I don't like that at all...

I didn't get that interpretation at all he was talking about the high school kids he teaches and they have a def poetry jam as well. He was sharing a world that I am sure most of them had no idea about and how fascinating and funny it is.

Here is what the poems says:
I was born as deaf and as quite as a star fish but if I has been born a man I would pray to the Lord above at the top of my lungs just to thank him for giving me voice.

I can understand why you may find that to be offensive as if you couldn't be just as happy not having one, but he was quoting the poem of one of his students and maybe that particular teenager felt that way and IMO he portrayed the heart of the young man beautifully but again the just me.

My favorite poem is voice only and not very clear on youtube I could type if you wanna hear it but I will warn you its a girlie one

I didn't get that interpretation at all he was talking about the high school kids he teaches and they have a def poetry jam as well. He was sharing a world that I am sure most of them had no idea about and how fascinating and funny it is.

Here is what the poems says:
I was born as deaf and as quite as a star fish but if I has been born a man I would pray to the Lord above at the top of my lungs just to thank him for giving me voice.

I can understand why you may find that to be offensive as if you couldn't be just as happy not having one, but he was quoting the poem of one of his students and maybe that particular teenager felt that way and IMO he portrayed the heart of the young man beautifully but again the just me.

My favorite poem is voice only and not very clear on youtube I could type if you wanna hear it but I will warn you its a girlie one

Yeah, please type it out. I'd like to understand it better...

I still think that it's a patronizing tone, but I am notorious for being overly sensitive to this type of thing.

BTW, another one of my gripes is that he is signing PSE and not ASL. I am reluctant to call this "ASL poetry."

Yeah, please type it out. I'd like to understand it better...

I still think that it's a patronizing tone, but I am notorious for being overly sensitive to this type of thing.

BTW, another one of my gripes is that he is signing PSE and not ASL. I am reluctant to call this "ASL poetry."

We hate's him, my pretty!

what is PSE?

and are you asking me to type out this poem or my favorite poem?

oh dear not sure what that is, seems like a jab at his ability to sign....

oh dear not sure what that is, seems like a jab at his ability to sign....

PSE is when you use ASL vocabulary along with some of the spatial/temporal grammatical conventions of ASL, but you still sign in English word order and construct sentences based on an English mindset. There is usually a lack of visual imagery in PSE. The information is transferred based on 1:1 semantics, rather than a visual construction of concepts. It's great for some situations, like interpreting in academic settings. But ASL poetry? It is not...

I think you want to know the text of the sign language poem so I will type it out...... THIS IS NOT MY FAVORITE my favorite by him is called "kite"

Poem:

I work at a high school for deaf kids, we put on poetry readings and poetry slams we call them deaf poetry jams (audience laughs)

One poets poem goes
(signs)
The night we met so many moons were signing down on us so brightly I thought maybe those moons have mistaken us for their gods
Another poet goes
(signs)
I I I me me me my my my doesn't anyone tell a story anymore
And another goes
Last night I had a dreamt I was little again and I could hear back then but the silence in my house was deafening
See some of the kids only write about being deaf,others make a joke, some make a mention and some ignore the topic all together not to different from the choices poets make here with gender or skin color
So you get goofy hicoo like homework is (sign) bullshit (audience laughs)
And inspires nothing out of me but (signs) vomit
And poems like (signing) I saw on the TV that scientist have taught a gorilla to speak sign language outstanding, why not teach the gorilla how to wipe its ass, assholes
(audience laughs)
And the words the signs themselves are as wonderful for me to watch as if they were humming birds or butterflies
Works like goose bumps (sign) or daydreams (sign), giraffe (sign), sticky icky icky (sign) (audience laughs)
These are high school students who never pass notes in class they just sign their shit behind your back (signing)
And they greet each other in the hall way (signing) can you hear me now (audience laughs) noo... thats good
And they pester me for lyrics to hip songs which they prefer because they can feel the music throbbing thru the speakers we use for speech therapy and I tell them well that says everybody put your hands in the air and they do every month at our little poetry slams where the audience never spreads out it spreads back so that everyone can hear those hands and its damn near silent and there is never a microphone but sometimes the poets do rock their poems, and when a deaf poet rocks a poem it echos off the wall for these ears alone

(speaking in an incomprehensive voice as someone deaf)

I was born as deaf and quiet as a star fish but if I had been born a man I would pray to the Lord above at the top of my fucking lungs just to thank him for giving me voice.

and are you asking me to type out this poem or my favorite poem?

Sorry, I thought you were talking about a poem in that particular video.

If you want to type out your favorite poem, though, go for it. :)

Kite

The morning after the first night we made love the note on your pillow said good morning sparkle boy I'll be back around noon and you make your self at home and so I did maybe
I'm saying maybe I put on your slippers which were as comfortable as bunnies because they were bunnies and shuffled them across my new favorite hardwood floor to the bathroom where maybe I took a bubble bath which is not something I can do at my place because frankly my tub is way to skanky to sit my bare ass down in
And then maybe I got so caught up in the romance of the suds I started quoting latin peotry from my old college days like (speaks in latin) you know like verily the gods to favor me this morning
And then maybe I played with myself but its not what you thinking I'm saying possibly I just sort of stuck my hand up from the water for some reason and started going like uh like uh somebody got laid last night you you you or whatever
And maybe I played with myself and its exactly what you are thinking but if I did it was only to put the mental motion picture of our naked night together on replay and replay and replay so touching myself was like tivo in a way and yes I was still wet when I borrowed your bathrobe and I scared the birds away with my antics dancing full blast to your old prince cds but please lets keep that my little secret because nothing is as private as a solitary dance
Unless maybe its standing in front of a full length mirror in a borrowed pair of bunny slippers slipping off a robe and then wishing to a light bulb that my name or my game or my whatever was bigger wondering what kind of woman would want this skinny kid as warrior
And so I made for you a kite enormous from hangers brown paper bags and that masking tape in your kitchen and I hung it in your hall way so you couldn't hardly miss it and I tagged the kite with my words
just so you know my weird mind wonders and my brave heart brakes, I've nailed some mile stones but I make mistakes because I've got more faults than a map of California earth quakes. I'm taking a nap beneath your covers, wake me if you like me, wake me if you want me, wake me if you need another poem, your once and future lover has made himself at home

Kite

The morning after the first night we made love the note on your pillow said good morning sparkle boy I'll be back around noon and you make your self at home and so I did maybe
I'm saying maybe I put on your slippers which were as comfortable as bunnies because they were bunnies and shuffled them across my new favorite hardwood floor to the bathroom where maybe I took a bubble bath which is not something I can do at my place because frankly my tub is way to skanky to sit my bare ass down in
And then maybe I got so caught up in the romance of the suds I started quoting latin peotry from my old college days like (speaks in latin) you know like verily the gods to favor me this morning
And then maybe I played with myself but its not what you thinking I'm saying possibly I just sort of stuck my hand up from the water for some reason and started going like uh like uh somebody got laid last night you you you or whatever
And maybe I played with myself and its exactly what you are thinking but if I did it was only to put the mental motion picture of our naked night together on replay and replay and replay so touching myself was like tivo in a way and yes I was still wet when I borrowed your bathrobe and I scared the birds away with my antics dancing full blast to your old prince cds but please lets keep that my little secret because nothing is as private as a solitary dance
Unless maybe its standing in front of a full length mirror in a borrowed pair of bunny slippers slipping off a robe and then wishing to a light bulb that my name or my game or my whatever was bigger wondering what kind of woman would want this skinny kid as warrior
And so I made for you a kite enormous from hangers brown paper bags and that masking tape in your kitchen and I hung it in your hall way so you couldn't hardly miss it and I tagged the kite with my words
just so you know my weird mind wonders and my brave heart brakes, I've nailed some mile stones but I make mistakes because I've got more faults than a map of California earth quakes. I'm taking a nap beneath your covers, wake me if you like me, wake me if you want me, wake me if you need another poem, your once and future lover has made himself at home

Wow, that's fantastic! Is there a video for it?

Thanks for sharing.

Kite

Very nice. A bit erotic. Maybe give it an "R" rating for sexual situations.

Not sure if I'm even close, but I wanted to put my two cents in on the- "If I were born a man..." I thought at first he meant, he was thanking god for giving him a voice- not in the literal sense, but in the sense that "I can communicate, I can understand and be understood, I'm important" but now that I listen to it over again, it is worded weirdly and i'm not sure. Maybe that particular student, like ember said, felt that way.

Either way, that poem Kite was really good! I'm not usually one for poetry.

There is no ASL in this one but here is the link[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZsmneEtdWU"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZsmneEtdWU[/ame]

I love poetry!! I always go on youtube and watch DPJ, Shihan is one of my fav poets as well.

Back