Playstation 3 & XBOX 360 Closed caption for the hearing impaired over HDMI DVD

vatkat234

Reaction score
Hi I'm not deaf but I do like Closed Caption subtitles sometimes. Most of the time it's when a actor was not recorded good or not mic that well. I have also used Closed Caption CC when other people in the room are talking and it helps when watching TV show or Movie for a sec.

Playstation 3 and XBOX 360 do not support Closed Caption CC for DVD play back over HDMI. There are only a hand full of DVD players that do hard encoding of Closed Caption subtitles Toshiba and Panasonic. Also some DVD software for the PC support Closed Caption CC. I know PowerDVD does.

I have a Panasonic that supports Closed Caption but something is not working right.

There is a old post over at about DVD Closed Caption hard encoding

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=699933

Anyway Sony Playstation PS3 and XBOX 360 are DVD players and are very power full machines. There is no reason why they can not have a small firmware update to support Closed Caption CC subtiles.

I tried calling Sony PS3 line but they took it down 1800.345.SONY(7669)

XBOX phone number is 1-800-4MY-XBOX.

Also please post over on the PS3 message board and XBOX message board.

There is large post over at PS3 please post and maybe sony will do a firmware update to do hard encoding of Closed Caption subtiles.

PS3 DVD player closed captioning (EIA-608) support

Feature request: PS3 DVD player closed captioning (EIA-608) support - PLAYSTATION®3 General - PlayStation.com Forums

XBOX 360 post for Closed Caption support please make a post.

Closed Caption CC Support for HDMI for DVD

Xbox.com | General Discussion - Closed Caption CC Support for HDMI for DVD

Please email Ralph Nader and write a letter. This is not just for PS3 and XBOX to support Closed Caption CC but all DVD players should support hard encoding of Closed Caption Subtitles from now on.

Contact Us - The Nader Page

Ralph Nader
P.O. Box 19312
Washington, DC 20036

info@nader.org

Last edited:
Current, it's not right time for have CC during most deaf cannot afford television with HDMI support. When the large come up, the more we required to have CC go in HDMI.

I do agree I would like to see CC that we able to custom the font in style, color and size. However, there are current solution use subtitle. SDH are current ideal on DVD and Blu-Ray to go in HDMI.

Yeah, I heard it's taking a year for online services as Netflix getting CC over streaming but...who knows. I would rather believe it when I see it.

As for Microsoft and Sony, I don't think they really care about it. I guess it cost them extra to put in CC or something.

My Xbox 360 have a CC on it, it's goes to RCA jack only to see the CC or Stubtitles.

Huh? I have my PS3 going to my HDTV via HDMI, and I get CC's on DVD's and also Blu Rays. I also have the Elite but have yet to try a DVD on it.

Also, Comcast provides CC over HDMI also.

Huh? I have my PS3 going to my HDTV via HDMI, and I get CC's on DVD's and also Blu Rays. I also have the Elite but have yet to try a DVD on it.

Also, Comcast provides CC over HDMI also.

Actually, the Comcast digital box has a CC decoder inside it, that's where the CC is coming from.

Not the TV.

Actually, the Comcast digital box has a CC decoder inside it, that's where the CC is coming from.

Not the TV.

Which digital box? Motorola or SA Explorer?

Mine is SA Explorer with hard drive for DVR. (SA Explorer was Time Warner before comcast take over in my area.).

I am bringing this thread back to life, I get closed captioning whenever I watch a DVD or Blu Ray movie on my PS3. Every movie provides you that option in the settings. Not sure why some here dont get it.

My bigger gripe is when you rent or buy a movie from the PS3 store they do not have closed captioning. Anybody know when Sony is going to implement this?

I am bringing this thread back to life, I get closed captioning whenever I watch a DVD or Blu Ray movie on my PS3. Every movie provides you that option in the settings. Not sure why some here dont get it.

My bigger gripe is when you rent or buy a movie from the PS3 store they do not have closed captioning. Anybody know when Sony is going to implement this?

You're confusing subtitles with closed captioning.

Back